View Full Version : Cell phone minutes or gprs?

Candygogo
11-04-2003, 04:14 PM
Just wondering what people use when connecting their pdas and laptops to their cell phones for wireless communication. Which one comes out to be cheaper for you?

Janak Parekh
11-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Depends on your wireless provider. With T-Mobile, unlimited GPRS is far cheaper, IMHO. :)

--janak

Thinkingmandavid
11-04-2003, 05:55 PM
Yeah, they are offering a good deal, about the only thing good about them :wink: You are better off with that plan, I dont know any other provider that will come near to meeting, and for sure beating that.

AppleMac
11-04-2003, 07:06 PM
Another good thing about T-Mobile is the MDA II :)
Hehehe....look at all these non-converged fools ehehehe...having to connect their PDAs to their phones for GPRS..

11-04-2003, 07:18 PM
I have had the samsung I700, and the tungsten W, and they fall somewhat short of my expectations. I believe that the converged device will happen, I just don't know when. All of the devices that I have tried have fallen short (some more than others) in alot of areas. The I700 for instance, had phone capeabilities, but it definately was like an afterthought. The phone features were lacking greatly, there was no keypad (essential to using a phone) the hands free option was not very good, there was a poor voice dialing program (third party software, not native to the device), and no bluetooth. I heard recently that bluetooth was dead. anyone who has used the blutooth headset will disagree. the ease of use, no wires, etc. really add to the useability of a phone. I would like to see an expansion of the device capabilities to include addiditonal features that would take some of the burden off of the user. like stereo bluetooth headsets, that you can leave on and not look dorky......

ohhh crap I'm rambling again. sorry. my .45$

dcharles18
11-04-2003, 07:33 PM
With AT&T I have no choice, I must use GPRS. You cannot 'dial-up' and use minutes. :(

BigDaddy
11-04-2003, 11:26 PM
Using Cingular with a T616, though I am a regular user, I signed up for the Unlimited GPRS Business Plan, though expensive ($80.00a mo) works like a charm. A lot better than paying $150.00 as i did the previous month for think i could stay under 5MB using a pocket pc and tablet PC.

Also, thinking about now switching to T-Mobile since I can take my phone number with me, however, I have heard some stories that certain sites and hotmail/msn email services will not work with t-mobile.

~BD

Candygogo
11-05-2003, 01:26 AM
Depends on your wireless provider. With T-Mobile, unlimited GPRS is far cheaper, IMHO.

--janak

I use T-Mobile and I'm trying to decide whether to go for the unlimited Tzones for $10/month on my phone or go for the gusto and get the unlimited gprs for $20. I wonder if the unlimited gprs includes the Tzones? :wink:

Thinkingmandavid
11-05-2003, 01:40 AM
I cant stand t-mobile but yes it does include the tzones :roll:
they usually dont tell you but you can see it on a brochure and when you call you just enter it in the conversation and they will say yes. they just dont want people to know so they can charge for tzones separately.

BigDaddy
11-05-2003, 01:52 AM
Any clock the Speed of their T-Mobile Connection? Do not want to get stuck with the problem i had with AT&T and moving at around 9.2 to 19.2. Even though you are pretty much on your own wth Cingular as far as support, I have impressed with the transfer rare (Microsoft Portrait for video conferencing and a lot of video streaming).

~BD

maximus
11-05-2003, 01:52 AM
Doh, I really envy those unlimited GPRS plans ...

bgate
11-05-2003, 03:55 AM
Yes, I just entered the beautiful world of wireless and was surprised at how quickly you burn thru your allotment. 8O Unlimited definitely has its advantages.

Candygogo
11-05-2003, 05:27 AM
I cant stand t-mobile but yes it does include the tzones
they usually dont tell you but you can see it on a brochure and when you call you just enter it in the conversation and they will say yes. they just dont want people to know so they can charge for tzones separately.

Why can't you stand T-mobile?

Janak Parekh
11-05-2003, 05:30 AM
I use T-Mobile and I'm trying to decide whether to go for the unlimited Tzones for $10/month on my phone or go for the gusto and get the unlimited gprs for $20. I wonder if the unlimited gprs includes the Tzones? :wink:
Thinkingmandavid is 100% correct -- unlimited GPRS includes T-Zones WAP service, although the reverse is not true. I don't think the $10 plan is particularly useful, as it won't let you do any data from your PDA -- it's WAP-only.

--janak

Thinkingmandavid
11-05-2003, 05:33 AM
20 buck plan is the way for you to go.
I dont like them in the way that I am a Cingular :rock on dude!: rep :wink:
And some bad experiences wiht a guy who works for them and lied to make sales :bangin: