View Full Version : Bluejacking(????)

SassKwatch
11-04-2003, 05:43 AM
http://www.bluejackq.com/

Seems to me this is exactly what Bluetooth does *not* need to have happening right about now.....or any time.

BigDaddy
11-04-2003, 06:06 AM
Blue Jacking..LOL... Here's something for those of us who find themselves standing in the bankline with serveral attractive young trendy type females. Do a search looking for other bluetooth devices, and send out a few hellos and see if any "Hotties" pull out there phones with a confused "what the hell" look. If so, start a text conversation, you would be amazed at where things might lead...

Good Bluejacking gentlemen

takotchi
11-04-2003, 06:10 AM
How juvenile... :razz:

BigDaddy
11-04-2003, 06:22 AM
ahhh..spoken like a person who only see technology as a way to themselves disconnected from the real world. Not another fun social resource. Relax my friend, have fun...women like men who have brains as much as they do like men with great bodies, dashing good looks, and a sports car (if you have all of the above you get bonus points ;)

~BD

JustinGTP
11-04-2003, 06:52 AM
He he he, this is so funny. Can this work on a PDA sending a contact to another phone? My phone isnt bluetooth but my PDA is. This is so funny!

-Justin.

szamot
11-04-2003, 07:24 AM
How juvenile... :razz:

Someone once told me: Don't knock it until you try it, it seems to hold true for a lot of things.

BigDaddy
11-04-2003, 07:58 AM
No dice gentlemen...seems the bluetooth manager, and business card exchange and notes feature on the pocket pc don't like each other. Only way to send a note is to IR it to another device. I think there is a share/freeware program on download.com which allow you to create a quick and dirty PAN than can send texted and possible images to other Bluetoothed devices including wireless phones via text or obex transfer...will play with it and see what I can get it to do.

~BD

PS...GO AND PICK UP A T616/610 ASAP..they are basically giving them away and the fun you will have with it besides being constantly connected for work and school is WELL WORTH IT!!!

freitasm
11-04-2003, 09:15 AM
http://www.bluejackq.com/

Seems to me this is exactly what Bluetooth does *not* need to have happening right about now.....or any time.

Well, this is not a problem with Bluetooth really. If you have a door and don't lock it, is it a problem with the lock?

These people are silly enough to go around with Bluetooth ON and DISCOVERABLE all the time. Most of them are probably Nokia users, because Sony Ericsson mobile phones turn discoverable off after one minute.

Usually a device should be discoverable only during the time you want to pair it with another device, or exchange information (like cards and appointments).

I once was in a workshop and did a find... That was a telecommunication event and I found a few Bluetooth mobile phones. I wonder how many would accept a DUN (Dial Up) connection without asking for permission...

SassKwatch
11-04-2003, 01:34 PM
Well, this is not a problem with Bluetooth really. If you have a door and don't lock it, is it a problem with the lock?
Oh good grief..., get a life.

Of course it's not a problem *with* BT. But it may become a problem *for* BT if enough people have it happen, and are offended by the 'invasion'.

PetiteFlower
11-04-2003, 01:42 PM
You'd better hope that none of the "hotties" in line at the bank are tech savvy and know what you're doing to connect to their phone, or they might be a little creeped out. Heck they might be creeped out anyway!

Brains are a necessity, but I deduct points for sports cars; boys who have them tend to care more about their cars then about the people in their lives....

SassKwatch
11-04-2003, 01:44 PM
ahhh..spoken like a person who only see technology as a way to themselves disconnected from the real world. Not another fun social resource.

A 'fun social resource'? If you leave the front door to your house open, would you consider it a 'fun social resource' if people started walking in uninvited? Or, if you don't secure your home WLAN, is it acceptable for others to use your bandwidth??

Just because such things *can* be done, doesn't mean they *should* be done. I suspect there will be a lot of people who will view this as an 'invasion of privacy' more than a 'fun social resource'.

Thinkingmandavid
11-04-2003, 01:52 PM
Brains are a necessity, but I deduct points for sports cars; boys who have them tend to care more about their cars then about the people in their lives....
And that is why Petiteflower is a pontificator :wink:
I dont own a sports car but I have a great girl friend :D

I find this funny, I am still reading on the site to find out more about it.

takotchi
11-04-2003, 05:21 PM
bigdaddy, I was referring to the original post, not yours.

What I mean is, that crap with just throwing "d00d, uve b33n bl00-ha><><ored!!!11" at somebody. I get so tired of that kind of crap.

Furthermore, I wouldn't find it cute if somebody sent me some "comment" like that (like a "hey baby") over Bluetooth. I would first be creeped out, and second, pissed. Though... I doubt it would happen since the only Bluetooth device I have is a mouse anyway. :?

Oh, by the way, not sure what that had to do with BT, but...

women like men who have brains as much as they do like men with great bodies, dashing good looks, and a sports car

Heheheheheheheh. Please.

Not that the same doesn't hold true for guys, though, to be fair.

BigDaddy
11-04-2003, 09:37 PM
Ahhhh I see we have some people who like to stay in their little boxes of life. A bluetooth or BlueJack Hello is just like a regular hello. Anyone who uses any creepy "Line", deserves to get the evil eye. Remember boys and girls, I live in lovely Los Angeles California, the social headquarters of the world. Such a shame that responses like this are the reason why people view tech savy individuals as anti-social. Have a little fun with your toys.

~BD

Jacob
11-04-2003, 09:59 PM
Ahhhh I see we have some people who like to stay in their little boxes of life. A bluetooth or BlueJack Hello is just like a regular hello. Anyone who uses any creepy "Line", deserves to get the evil eye. Remember boys and girls, I live in lovely Los Angeles California, the social headquarters of the world. Such a shame that responses like this are the reason why people view tech savy individuals as anti-social. Have a little fun with your toys.

~BD

Okay... so why send a message? Why not actually TALK to the hottie you see in line at the bank instead of banking on them having a bluetooth phone? Wouldn't that show that you have the cojones to actually talk to a woman face to face instead of hiding behind a text message?

There's a difference between not wanting to be social and not wanting to be annoyed by contacts being sent to your phone.

JustinGTP
11-04-2003, 10:24 PM
:nonono:

Stay on the topic! I dont think we are debating about how social this is, it just shows you that you cannot leave your device on discoverable or else you get messages! :D

-Justin.

Kati Compton
11-04-2003, 10:26 PM
As a woman, I'd be creeped out if anyone bluejacked to say hello. That would feel like an invasion of my personal (gadget) space. It's not the same. This is not cute, not interesting, only freaky.

If anyone was considering using this as a method to pick up women, with or without a "line", I would *not* suggest it.

This is why guys are generally encouraged to *ask* for a woman's phone number, rather than researching it. I bet a woman would generally be equally creeped out if someone found their unlisted number and called without an invitation to do so (or a friend giving the number).

BigDaddy
11-04-2003, 11:16 PM
Now see, here we go with people not paying attention. This has gone from bluejacking and posible ways of it being fun. If all the good little boys and girls were paying attention, you would of read that while i was in a bank line. You know those lines that seem to drag on and twist throughout a never ending series of velvet ropes and brass poles. Now, ladies I do understand at how if a message from a snotty nosed pocket protector packing nerd were to pop up on your phone would scare you. But, not if it is from a man that seems to have drawn the attention of "EVERY" female in the bank (i.e. Me). Instead of one doing something so publically visible (since the bank is not the typical social setting where one might go to meet other people), the BlueJacking allows for two (or more) people who seem to have an interest in one another the chance to verify their intentions. So.....If you're bluejacking to be a flirt, or doing it to mass market a product or service to anyone within a 30m or 100m radius, as long as no one gets hurt and one plays by the rules... ENJOY IT!

~BD

P.S. The woman's smile and grin is the "INVITATION"

Pat Logsdon
11-04-2003, 11:37 PM
Now see, here we go with people not paying attention. This has gone from bluejacking and posible ways of it being fun. If all the good little boys and girls were paying attention, you would of read that while i was in a bank line.
Didn't anyone ever tell you that patronizing wasn't a good way to make a point?

Now, ladies I do understand at how if a message from a snotty nosed pocket protector packing nerd were to pop up on your phone would scare you. But, not if it is from a man that seems to have drawn the attention of "EVERY" female in the bank (i.e. Me).
:roll: Are you serious? You're kidding, right? You might want to step down from your pedestal, pal - you're liable to get a nosebleed.

Instead of one doing something so publically visible (since the bank is not the typical social setting where one might go to meet other people), the BlueJacking allows for two (or more) people who seem to have an interest in one another the chance to verify their intentions.
Dear Mr. Stalker: Just because you're interested in someone doesn't mean they're interested in you. Try speaking. The other person can tell you to get lost without feeling as if their privacy has been violated.

So.....If you're bluejacking to be a flirt, or doing it to mass market a product or service to anyone within a 30m or 100m radius, as long as no one gets hurt and one plays by the rules... ENJOY IT!
No thanks. I'll pass on being bothered by creepy strangers or advertisers.

BigDaddy
11-05-2003, 01:12 AM
To make sure we stay on focus with the topic, I shall identify how each and every of the excerpts you have selected relates to BlueJacking...Also, is it not amazing how those who seem to not care always must prove their point by attempting to have the last word.

So, here we go....

>>>>>>Surgical Snack, wrote that bigdaddy wrote:
Now see, here we go with people not paying attention. This has gone from bluejacking and possible ways of it being fun. If all the good little boys and girls were paying attention, you would of read that while I was in a bank line.

Surgical Snack wrote:
Didn't anyone ever tell you that patronizing wasn't a good way to make a point?

As stated in regards to BlueJacking as the site speaks of using Bluetooth technology to send information to other Bluetooth devices. I gave real world examples of how "I" have used "Bluetooth" technology to "bluejack" other devices by sending a "Friendly" message to one or more "Attractive" or "Hotties" whom obviously are enjoying looking at me while standing bored in a bank line. If one is simply identifying the obvious which mature adults should have the wits to pickup and fully digest what one is saying, but have failed to, it is not Patronizing. If you do not like what I am saying you have a right to voice you opinion (which I invite you to do), however, do not base you opinion solely on what I have said, give us your own experiences with BlueJacking, if you do not have any, go out and get some :D

Now, ladies I do understand at how if a message from a snotty nosed pocket protector packing nerd were to pop up on your phone would scare you. But, not if it is from a man that seems to have drawn the attention of "EVERY" female in the bank (i.e. Me).

Surgical Snack, wrote:
that Are you serious? You're kidding, right? You might want to step down from your pedestal, pal - you're liable to get a nosebleed.

Well let the truth be told, I am sure if you were as dashing and handsome as I, you would also have your pedestal my friend...And as my people say..."Don't hate the player, dog......Hate the GAME ;)" BlueJacking I am sure will enjoy the same success as other secretive ways of communication where one does not have to completely show themselves (i.e. Chatrooms and Wireless based text messaging). I am sure if Cosmo, Elle, or any of the modern social magazines for women were to run a story on how to BlueJack that handsome male in the bank line, I would soon find myself the willing recipient of a few mysterious by welcomed messages.

Instead of one doing something so publically visible (since the bank is not the typical social setting where one might go to meet other people), the BlueJacking allows for two (or more) people who seem to have an interest in one another the chance to verify their intentions.

Surgical Snack wrote:
Dear Mr. Stalker: Just because you're interested in someone doesn't mean they're interested in you. Try speaking. The other person can tell you to get lost without feeling as if their privacy has been violated.

Here we go again little man...Pay attention...I am going to give you several keywords from my statement

Two
Seem
Interest
One
Another
Chance
VERIFY
Intentions

Also, I though that “Stalking” was a one way activity, and is something which is done at an unseeable distance by another. I think one can assume that at some point after the initial BlueJacking she or he ask the BlueJacker (or if she or he pays attention they know to look around for someone using a wireless phone tapping away at their keypads) who they are and lets see if you can hold a witting conversation in person. Or you can try my “Line” which is basically “I’m the man you keep looking back at and grinning at”, which 10 times out of 10 leads to other things that this is not the Forum, to discus.

And...You will find that attractive people, for the most part are generally open to ‘Sharing” their space with other people. They only seem to feel as if their space is invaded when it is encroached upon in a way that makes them feel as if there is not equal balance to it (i.e. if you are a sloppy unkept vagabond).

In this day and age of corny one liners and the almost nonexistent level of charm found with the members of my gender, many woman find it refreshing that a man can use such an innovative way to simple say hello. Men and their toys are things that go hand and hand, women have known this from the dawning of time. I just like to use my toys to help have a little bit more fun than the next man. Bluejacking is just another way for me to share my toys with others for a possible play date :devilboy:

So.....If you're bluejacking to be a flirt, or doing it to mass market a product or service to anyone within a 30m or 100m radius, as long as no one gets hurt and one plays by the rules... ENJOY IT!

>>>>>>Surgical Snack wrote:
No thanks. I'll pass on being bothered by creepy strangers or advertisers.

And once again I shall let those who wish such to return to their isolated, introverted life by just simply keeping your Bluetooth device undiscoverable :D

Kati Compton
11-05-2003, 01:29 AM
I prefer nerds to egotists.

But I don't want *anyone* breaking into my devices. I think a wave is sufficient. Smile and a nod. Then whoever finishes their business at the bank first can go back and try to talk to the person still in line.

Besides - who waits in line at the bank anymore??

ATMs are where its at. And I guess I will continue to avoid bank lines so that random guys who I may or may not politely smile at don't get the impression that they have the freedom to break into my device without me explicitly saying so.

Thinkingmandavid
11-05-2003, 01:38 AM
I agree with kati, if you want to meet someone, smile, say hi, and try to get a conversation started. if they arenot interested they will make it more than obvious.
Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:26 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bigdaddy wrote:

As a woman, I'd be creeped out if anyone bluejacked to say hello. That would feel like an invasion of my personal (gadget) space. It's not the same. This is not cute, not interesting, only freaky.

I like the phrase gadget space. My reason is becaues of my communication studies in my undergrad. I currently attempt to mix my communication studies in my masters program because of how much I love it :wink: Thanks for an idea kati, it came in real handy :D I will use gadget space at some point in a term paper and other areas, and I will make certain to give you the credit for the phrase. :mrgreen:
ON a different note, i can see how some would see the message as creepy and some would be curious. The next thing we know, a movie will come out being a psychological thriller and it will be about bluejacking

BigDaddy
11-05-2003, 01:43 AM
Well angel you will find in the year 2003 most of us Egotists are evolved nerds. No one is breaking into your device, breaking into something involves a forceful, damaging entry where destructive evidence is found.

at sometime or another you will find yourself having to perform a face to face in person transaction, but this is not the forum for the discussion of ATM vs. Personal banking.

Oh, just curious Kati...would you be considered a hottie...(5'7"+, under 130lbs, stunning looks, etc...), if not you would have nothing to worry about ;)

BigDaddy
11-05-2003, 01:46 AM
THANKS Thinkingmandavid! BlueJacking treatment is being writen as we speak, lord how I love the online submission at WGA.org

GOD I LOVE ONLINE FORUMS!

Pat Logsdon
11-05-2003, 01:51 AM
Ok "Dog", you're obviously too attractive for me to have a real conversation with, but thanks for the laugh...

Keep it real, playa!

BigDaddy
11-05-2003, 01:53 AM
LOL....Come now you're not going to bow out now my friend..ummm I mean..."G"

Kati Compton
11-05-2003, 02:43 AM
No one is breaking into your device, breaking into something involves a forceful, damaging entry where destructive evidence is found.
Hijacking might be a more appropriate term.

Oh, just curious Kati...would you be considered a hottie...(5'7"+, under 130lbs, stunning looks, etc...), if not you would have nothing to worry about ;)
Got me there - I'm too short for you. I guess we just won't make it as a couple. Woe is me.

ctmagnus
11-05-2003, 03:04 AM
My god, I hope the media doesn't get hold of this*. I find it insulting how they manage to mangle anything even remotely technical.

* The bluejacking part, not bigdaddy's and Kati's relationship. ;)

Janak Parekh
11-05-2003, 03:19 AM
Sorry for being a cold bucket of water, but this is unlikely to be nearly as widespread as the article suggests, and for those who experience it it's unlikely to be a problem. I've owned several BT-capable devices, and on all of them BT is off by default. You have to know what you're doing to turn it on and make it "discoverable". So for those who happen to have it on, there's a good chance they will realize the implications of what they're doing. Unless you happened to sneak into someone else's bag and turned it on first... and that's a whole other can of worms.

BT is not like WiFi in that regard -- WiFi has a propensity of being much more "open", as a result of the protocol design.

And besides, Bluetooth is fairly rare in the US in the first place.

--janak

BigDaddy
11-05-2003, 03:27 AM
My good friends at the local cingular store have just informed me that of the 250+ Nokia 3600s they sell per WEEK are purchased by attractive single females 18 to 28 years of age which seem to have the BLUETOOTH enabled by DEFAULT. So, to all you attractive social males who have no problem with women, the NEXT time you see a hottie talking on her Nokia 3600, go ahead and say hello. You never know, she might have a "special" pic(s) on her nokia she'll share with you (these come in handy when entering information in your phones picture phonebook when she gives you her number face to face ;)....

Good Jacking ;)

Janak Parekh
11-05-2003, 03:34 AM
That's funny... I've never seen a woman carry a 3650 around New York, throughout. Most people (both male and female) think the phone is a tad too big.

Oh, and according to the Nokia 3650 manual (http://downloads.nokiausa.com/userguides/3650.PDF) it is not active by default, and you have to go through several settings, including setting the name and visibility of the device, before it's activated.

--janak

BigDaddy
11-05-2003, 03:52 AM
hmmm...Now lets see, I am in Los Angeles where as you know people are a little more concerned with form than they are function. The "Younger" crowd which as you remember the Nokia commerical were targeted to for this phone (i.e. girl gets a video clip of her boyfriend at a party with another girl while she is at the library) seem to be the ones purchasing this phone. Not the Savy New Yorker.

Also, as we all know from experience with US wireless providers, that certain phones when you purchase from the retailer and not directly off the makers site, have been programed. Things like, logos, network locking, and other goodies are done by the maker but at the carriers instruction. In this case, because Cingular is pushing the Jabra wireless headset and not the maker brand such as nokia or Sony Ericsson, they want the user to be able to connect "RIGHT OUT THE BOX", so Cingular says to Nokia, hey..all those phones you're shipping to us, make sure the BlueTooth is hot right on the box. This is why, some phones are able to be BlueJacked :D

~BD

BigDaddy
11-05-2003, 03:54 AM
Oh forgot...Since I am heading out into the lovely streets of my wonderful city, I am going to do a photo blog series just for you called..."Hotties, Bluetooth, and 3600s"....Stay tunned

~BD

Janak Parekh
11-05-2003, 04:10 AM
hmmm...Now lets see, I am in Los Angeles where as you know people are a little more concerned with form than they are function.
You've obviously never been in New York's fashion district... or on the Upper East side... or a number of other places. But whatever.

Also, as we all know from experience with US wireless providers, that certain phones when you purchase from the retailer and not directly off the makers site, have been programed.
Actually, I have a lot of US wireless provider experience, and this is diametrically opposite of what I've experienced. The industry has been working very hard to provide a uniform experience, and so if you go to an "authorized" kiosk you're going to get a very consistent result. And, my experience at both the official and unofficial dealers is that the salesmen are utterly clueless and can barely program the thing in the first place, let alone tell people what Bluetooth is. I know, I've had four different carriers in the last 6 years. And, besides, half the carriers in the US don't even offer Bluetooth...

--janak

BigDaddy
11-05-2003, 04:16 AM
You have to be joking my friend...Here we go again...but I am going to let the "where you have been" comment slide....

But as for the other comment, Please explain how certain information and logos end up on the phone for all the boys and girls listening? For exmaple...The little physical Cingular Logo on my phone, the wall paper which is not on the sim, and some of the non-sim settings....

~BD

Janak Parekh
11-05-2003, 04:18 AM
But as for the other comment, Please explain how certain information and logos end up on the phone for all the boys and girls listening? For exmaple...The little physical Cingular Logo on my phone, the wall paper which is not on the sim, and some of the non-sim settings....
I presume the point you're making is that there are the unofficial dealers which will help you "customize" a phone, or in many cases people have "friends". The place to "pimp up a phone" in NY is Chinatown, for example. But this group is in the substantial minority. At least, for the majority of the US... maybe not in your corner of LA. :D

We're probably going in circles at this point, so I'm going to give it a rest. I still maintain that Bluejacking is going to be a minority issue, but neither you nor I have the numbers to back the argument up one way or the other...

--janak

BigDaddy
11-05-2003, 04:38 AM
OOOOOO...we seem to have an assumption...Once again we have people not paying attention to certain facts which have been noted... So lets see little man if you can now pay attention. If I say that I have spoken to the genteman at the Cingular store and asking questions which seem to relate to Cingular, I THINK I WOULD BE SAFE TO SAY...... THAT MY T616 were purchased at an actual CINGULAR...CORPORATE owned strore.

Now, though you seem to have missed the obvious about which carrier i was reffering to and which actual store I was speaking about, I noticed you hommed in on my possible racial background, I get the feeling you think you have found some "Silly Negro" that has no idea of the true working of the "wireless industry or provider. I must only be aware of the "friends" or "Phone Pimping" issues. Well, surprise..some of us are college educated, own homes, have FICO sores over 750, and listen to other music on our MP3s than rap.

So, as i return this forum back to bluejacking, please explain to us, how the additional logos and settings end up on out phones which are placed in retail boxes that are covered in the wireless providers (not makers) logos. This will help some of those who wish not to be BlueJacked prevent it by KNOWING WHAT WIRELESS PROVIDER SETS BLUETOOTH ONE AS DEFAULT :d

I and I am sure others wait for your resply.

Oh yes, just for the record, can you tell us what goodies you have in your gadget grab bag...Pocket PC, Wireless Phone, Wireless Provider, Desktop OS...etc....

Janak Parekh
11-05-2003, 04:46 AM
If I say that I have spoken to the genteman at the Cingular store and asking questions which seem to relate to Cingular, I THINK I WOULD BE SAFE TO SAY...... THAT MY T616 were purchased at an actual CINGULAR...CORPORATE owned strore.
I have no reason to argue with you on that point, so I didn't. My argument was as follows: from my background, which includes AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint, I've never seen Bluetooth enabled by default. And even if it was, the number of phones are in the vast minority.

Now, though you seem to have missed the obvious about which carrier i was reffering to and which actual store I was speaking about, I noticed you hommed in on my possible racial background, I get the feeling you think you have found some "Silly Negro" that has no idea of the true working of the "wireless industry or provider.
Actually, I am truly offended that you didn't bother to read my post and assumed that I meant a racial slur. I didn't imply your racial background at all. On the other hand, I apologize that I missed the point you were trying to make, so here's another try...:

So, as i return this forum back to bluejacking, please explain to us, how the additional logos and settings end up on out phones which are placed in retail boxes that are covered in the wireless providers (not makers) logos.
For the carriers I've used? The branding comes as shipped to the store -- the carriers work with the manufacturers for a customized ROM, decals, etc., and the dealer opens the box, activates it, and hands the phone to the consumer. I do agree that if Cingular wanted to enable Bluetooth by default, of course they could -- I'd just be very surprised based on my experience. I'll have to take your word for it. That's what I pointed out in my last post -- I don't have the numbers, and tried to back off.

Oh yes, just for the record, can you tell us what goodies you have in your gadget grab bag...Pocket PC, Wireless Phone, Wireless Provider, Desktop OS...etc....
Since you don't believe me, I'm not going to waste my time typing out a substantial list here. Rest assured that I didn't become an editor on this site by just pretending.

--janak

PetiteFlower
11-05-2003, 04:56 AM

Ok I'm literally sitting here with my mouth hanging open. Do you have ANY IDEA how inappropriate that is? You know, it really is guys like you that make me afraid to let strange men start conversations with me. You really need the room all to yourself just to hold your ego.

Kati Compton
11-05-2003, 04:59 AM
I think this thread has been all over the place, and it hasn't been a good place. ;)

I'm going to lock it now before it gets worse.

Steven Cedrone
11-05-2003, 04:59 AM
Thread moved...

RIP...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator