View Full Version : 2210/2215 turns on in my pocket and drains the battery

stevehiner
11-03-2003, 08:00 PM
I've been searching this forum for an answer to this question but I can't find posts that address it. That may be due to the fact that people like to use subjects like "IPAQ problem" rather than using one that describes the problem. Anyhow...

Lately I've had problems with my 2210 turning itself on and trying to connect to the net when it's in my pocket. Twice now this has resulted in a totally drained battery (thank goodness for the built-in backup software). Sometimes I will pull it out of my pocket just to check and it will be on with a "failure to connect" dialog up like it's trying to get to the internet.

I thought I had solved the problem by making sure my email accounts were set up so they didn't automatically try to check for email but that didn't work. I also made sure my ActiveSync settings are all set to Manual sync.

It's possible that it only happens when I have email sitting in my Outbox. But I haven't verified that. Is it possible that the email settings only apply to checking mail but it will still try to send mail spontaneously? If so, is there a way to turn that off? It would really suck to not be able to write email when I'm disconnected.

Sven Johannsen
11-04-2003, 12:40 AM
Do you have it in a case? If the power button get s bumped accidentally then any push on the screen will keep the beast alive.

stevehiner
11-04-2003, 01:33 AM
Somtimes it's in the case, sometimes not.

I suppose the battery draining out has only happened when it's in the case so maybe the case is causing enough screen events to keep it running. Maybe a new case that doesn't touch the screen would be in order since the case that came with it is pretty lame.

I'd still love to figure out why it's turning on in the first place. It will also spontaneously turn on while I'm charging it.

I wish there was a debugging app that would let me look at which app is trying to access the internet. Even better, it would be nice if Microsoft included the app name in the dialog box that pops up when internet access isn't available.