View Full Version : battery life deteriorate with WM2003

kigling
11-03-2003, 01:23 AM
hi guys,
i just upgraded to WM2003 over the weekend. seems like battery life is worst. i remember reading somewhere that WM2003 drains more battery. is this right?

one more thing, with my ipaq switched off, it seems like the battery drain is faster now compared when i had 2002 on it.
with 2002 installed, basically i do not need to charge for a couple of days, but now, the battery drains almost completely within a day.
this seems funny, and im wondering whether having certain 3rd party sofware on when ipaq is switched off is the cause of this.

thanks

buckyg
11-03-2003, 02:00 AM
Hi kigling,
There are some threads here and elsewhere about this, such as:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19266&highlight=battery+life

It does seem to use the battery up a little faster to me, though I have not done any tests such as others did in the thread above.

Just checking, have you done some of the "standard" things people suggest?:
- Set the backlight lower when on battery
- Disable "Receive all incoming beams" under Start, Settings, Connections? Otherwise, the infrared hardware is always trying to receive.
- Change the Standby setting under Start, Settings, System, Power, Standby to a lower time? The lower the setting, the less of the battery is reserved to keep things going on Standby.

I maybe wrong, but it sounds like maybe the Standby setting maybe set high, giving you your last problem. ??

Anyway, if you did set these before your upgrade, I believe they go back to a default as part of the upgrade.

I hope this helps.
Best regards,
buckyg

kigling
11-03-2003, 07:39 AM
thanks for confirming my fears regarding the first issue.
but what bout the second question?
whenever we switch off our ipaq with programs running, will more battery be consumed?
if no can any1 help me pinpoint what caused the battery drain when its switched off?

thanks