View Full Version : Bluetooth and SDIO WLAN

Darius Wey
11-02-2003, 03:42 PM
Two questions...

(1) Do you think SDIO WLAN cards will eventually become as cheap as CF WLAN cards are, and if so, how long do you think it will take?

(2) Do you think Bluetooth wireless internet access points will become more common in the future (e.g. in airports, unis, etc.)?

I'm just wondering whether to get a SDIO WLAN card or just sit tight on my integrated Bluetooth.

Thinkingmandavid
11-02-2003, 04:10 PM
There is more wi fi in public areas than bluetooth. I think that will be the main signal that you will find. Examples are STarbucks, hotels, airports, some places in cities. it is already being put in and has a good connection speed, so I would get a wi fi sd card. They havent been out too long so dont expect a great price reduction anytime soon. If you happen to get a coupon from somewhere or if you get extra money for birthday or christmas, then I would use it towards the purchase of an wi fi sd card.

Bluetooth still has its place but they are pushing it more along the lines of tech device to tech device. So I would like at bt in that way. It is good at home for sitting in your comfortable spot and surfing the net, printing, etc, just great for communicating with devices with in a certain range.
It sounds like you already have bt on your ppc and that is great if you decide to get a bt cell phone. The advantage is being anywhere that carrier has a signal and getting on the net if need be. There may not be a wi fi signal accessible all of the time, but at least you can still get your business done when need be. :wink:

Darius Wey
11-02-2003, 04:16 PM
Thanks thinkingmandavid...

Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of getting an SDIO WLAN card. However, they're still not readily available in all the retail stores where I live and it's quite pricey here, so I think I'll wait a few months.