View Full Version : Organising My Documents

terrypin
11-02-2003, 01:29 PM
I'm trying to tidy up the file structure within My Documents on my PPC, and have created several subfolders to help. But several programs (and WM2003?) appear to create their own files in My Documents. As a rule, is it safe to move those to 'approriate' subfolders too, or must I leave them cluttering My Documents?

As an associated point, I've noticed several times after a 100% sync that there are more files in one of my subfolders than in the desktop version of that folder. How can that arise please? I'd have expected to see ActiveSync reporting '2 files unresolved' or some such.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

spursdude
11-02-2003, 10:38 PM
Chances are that if you move around program-created files within My Documents into different subfolders, your programs won't be able to find them, and they'll get confused. I don't think it's a good idea.

ctmagnus
11-03-2003, 12:03 AM
The \My Documents\Templates folder on the PPC end has several rom files in there which do not get synched over to the desktop.

terrypin
11-03-2003, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the replies both.

I wasn't really intending to change the location of 'special' files that must remain within specific folders, if only I can be sure to recognise them!. My target is the ever-growing number that seem to be directly under \My Documents.

I took the first step of placing ALL of these in my subfolder \My Documents\Sundry. (Probably together with a few 'proprietary' files that i couoldn';t recognise.) Anyway, that certainly looks tidier, and so far I've seen no ill effects.

But there are some odd inconsistencies between the contents of the various subfolders when opened in their respective PPC and PC versions. That \Templates folder ctmagnus mentioned is one (with nothing shown on the PC side). Presumably, when ActiveSync reports no unsynced or unresolved items, it has taken those and several other 'mis-matches' into account?

BTW, I wish the similarly-named PC and PPC My Computer windows were clearly recognisable.