View Full Version : 3 Week Old HP iPAQ h1940 - now dead! HELP!

Darius Wey
11-01-2003, 10:53 AM
:cry:

I own an iPaq h1940 and have had it for about 3 weeks ago. The other day, I was copying a file that was about 4MB over to the File Store memory (which was empty before). On the computer, it appeared to copy over to the iPaq successfully.

However, as soon as I opened up File Explorer, the file was not listed in the File Store memory. I then went over to the Memory Settings page and looked at the iPaq File Store tab and it said the following:

Used: 0.00MB, Free: 13.24MB

2 seconds later, this changed to:

Used: 13.24MB, Free: 0.00MB

I thought that this was odd seeing as though the file was only about 4MB. I then went back to File Explorer to find out that the file was still not appearing, even with the 'View All Files' option turned on.

I then decided to perform a soft reset - only to find that the white screen with the HP logo appears and the bar continues to run, but just stops when it reaches the end (i.e. it doesn't load into Windows Mobile). I tried soft resetting again and it still didn't work. I then decided to perform a hard reset, and the same thing happens...it doesn't load into Windows Mobile. I then took the battery out overnight, and tried it again the next morning and the same thing happens.

I've lost information that I was literally going to backup after I had copied that file over, but now it is all gone. Can anyone help me?

chunkymonkey75
11-01-2003, 02:50 PM
I wish there was more we could do to help. :cry:

Your best bet at this point is to perform a hard reset. If that doesn't work, than the unit will need to be returned or repaired.

DrtyBlvd
11-01-2003, 04:38 PM
It does sound as though you've exhausted the avenues open to you - as well as that the behaviour you describe seems far from normal - Suggest you 'write-off' the loss of data, as painful as it may be, and get the unit shipped back for exchange. :cry:

WyattEarp
11-01-2003, 04:38 PM
What type of file was it?

sylvangale
11-01-2003, 08:52 PM
Exchange from where you got it from or if you happen to really like the machine you got you can have HP service for you.

You're not getting any type of error message at the start up?

Thinkingmandavid
11-02-2003, 02:46 AM
May just want to exchange it while you can and just say goodbye to the data you lost. MOst places let you exchange within 30 days so I would for sure take advantage of that opportunity.
It sounds to me that it is defective so not any sense in keeping it and trying to get it to work.

Darius Wey
11-02-2003, 03:02 PM
WyattEarp: It was an MP3 file...definitely something that's not gonna screw up the ROM inside...that's for sure!!! :wink:

And no...I don't get any error message. It just appears to act normal on the white boot-up screen, and then doesn't go any further once the bar finishes filling up.

BTW, you guys all are talking about exchanging. I don't know which country you are all from, but I assume you can't do that in every country and it would depend on the store right? Because I'm from Australia and I bought it from a retail store, and I'd expect them to just tell me to contact HP and have them sort it out?

And would all the hard resets I've done erased all the stuff on the memory (even though it doesn't load into Windows completely)? Because I've got some personal info on it and I don't know what the ppl at HP are like if they decide to read all the stuff I've got on it to their heart's content. :roll: BTW, thanks for the help everyone! :D Really appreciate it.

Darius Wey
11-02-2003, 03:25 PM
I forgot to ask...

Assuming I take it to an HP Service Centre...how long does it usually take to:

(1) Repair the device (assuming they already have parts available); or

(2) Repair the device (assuming they don't have parts available at the moment but will ship it in); or

(3) Replace the device if they decide they want to do that

Haha, and I was reading the warranty document I got in the box:
QUOTE: In the unlikely event that your HP product has a recurring failure, HP, at its discretion, may elect to provide you with a replacement unit that is at least equivalent to your HP branded product in hardware performance.

Honestly, what are the chances of HP actually giving you a better model than the one you already have? 8)

Darius Wey
11-03-2003, 07:10 AM
Hey all...

Thought I just let you all know...

I managed to exchange my faulty iPAQ for a new one :D (with the retail store manager having a go at the HP manager at the same time because HP wouldn't allow an exchange at first!)

blusparkles
11-03-2003, 07:21 AM
Hey all...

Thought I just let you all know...

I managed to exchange my faulty iPAQ for a new one :D (with the retail store manager having a go at the HP manager at the same time because HP wouldn't allow an exchange at first!)

Great to hear! Just out of curiousity, what store did you buy it from?

Darius Wey
11-03-2003, 07:43 AM
Megamart 8)