View Full Version : SPOT features in a Pocket PC?

carrigaline
11-01-2003, 05:32 AM
This is not "new" news ........but I have read about what this will do for watches and was wondering what SPOT could mean for a pocket pc. In my mind it could transform what it means to be "connected".

Someone mentioned SPOT in a post on a future vision of a pocket pc this week but no one seemed to comment on the SPOT element.....I don't know if someone has posted on this since or before.....if they have please ignore!

Here's a really old link about SPOT
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2003/jan03/01-09SPOTWatches.asp

Here's a snippet of this means for watches......wouldn't this be just as easy to put on a PPC?

"Microsoft worked with National Semiconductor to develop a chipset, which consists of an application chip and a tiny radio frequency receiver. The platform has been optimized for low power draw, miniaturization and low cost. To provide connectivity to SPOT devices, Microsoft created DirectBand, a set of radio technologies that enables the transmission of Web-based information to smart objects. DirectBand includes the custom radio receiver chip, a nationwide wide-area network based on FM subcarrier technology and new radio protocols created specifically to meet the unique communication requirements of smart objects.

Content such as news, weather and sports information is broadcast to smart devices as wireless "channels." Subscribers can customize the channels and the information within each channel so they see only the information that is important and relevant to them. They establish their preferences by interacting with a simple SPOT device Web site from their PC."

So if you had one of these small, low power radio receiving chips on your VGA Ipaq you could also receive all this info - like IM messages, news, weather, stock quotes, time linked to an atomic clock, traffic reports etc.........seems like a really great way of being connected even without using wifi - would certainly save you a lot of power in between times when you need to use wifi to reply to people/information received via this one way method.

What do you think? Would this be a service you would like on your PPC and something you would subscribe to? Looks like the watch service subscription will be reasonably priced......about $60 a year....seems like a great deal to me.

theon
11-01-2003, 07:06 AM
I'm curious as to the bandwidth of SPOT though. From what I have seen, all the images of SPOT in use show fairly low bandwidth needs.

While the idea is good, SPOT may not be able to handle the amount of information needed to 'look good' in a PPC environment.

I believe that for things like updates on news, weather, etc. There are already websites for that optimised for PPC that can be accessed with GPRS?

Development of SPOT servers that cater for PPC's may also be impractical. I'm assuming that SPOT does not run the same way as all the current protocols out there?

My 2 cents. Like the idea though. Wouldn't knock it if if really were possible. :D

Jason Dunn
11-01-2003, 07:08 AM
Yes, SPOT technology could easily be added to a Pocket PC, but I think all the OEMs (and the market in general) will first want to see how the watches do and if that information is worth paying $60 a year for.

Janak Parekh
11-01-2003, 08:22 AM
I'm curious as to the bandwidth of SPOT though. From what I have seen, all the images of SPOT in use show fairly low bandwidth needs.
Right -- it just downloads updates, and that's it. I don't think carrigaline was implying anything more. However, I don't see this happening anytime soon -- there's a lot of work getting it to be reliable and useful on just a watch. I've seen Microsoft's "concept" video, and that's clearly their current focus, especially with the UI, data content, etc.

Ultimately, what I think we'll see are "smart" handhelds that talk to your watch... and then the handheld might be your wireless terminal, handling WiFi, cell and even FM subcarrier (like SPOT) and pushing it through various interfaces.

--janak

theon
11-01-2003, 08:41 PM
I've seen Microsoft's "concept" video, and that's clearly their current focus, especially with the UI, data content, etc.

I'm curious as to what the concept video covers. Anywhere I can sneek a peek at this video? :)

All this talk on whether PDA's should have WiFi/Bluetooth. Maybe in the future we'll be having quad band PDA's! 8O