View Full Version : So is the jury in? Are magnetic closeing cases safe?

Jason Lee
10-31-2003, 04:47 PM
I was recently given that spiffy new lether case from HP for my new ipaq. It is a wonderful case, very high quality leather. But the lid is held closed by four very powerful magnets. I have even felt them stick to the screen when I remove the ppc from the case. So far everything seemes to be ok but... well you know. :)

I know magnetic closure cases have been around for years but I have never owned one. And every one knows the best way to destroy your data is to get a magnet near it. Bad for anything electronic you know. ;)

I know flash memory is static based rather than magnetic based so I can see how that might be ok.

But it is still a little ummm.. troubling when you stick magnets to your pda screen. :lol:

Dave Beauvais
10-31-2003, 05:29 PM
I used an E&B (http://www.ebcases.com/) Slipper E200 with my Casio E-200s without problems -- other than the design flaws inherent in the E-200 -- and have used a Vaja (http://www.vajacases.com/) Morpheus III case with my iPAQ h5455 for the last nine months without any problems whatsoever. Both cases use very strong magnets to secure the flap. I did scramble my credit card and ATM card with the Morpheus, however, and have since switched to carrying my wallet in the other back pocket. I've had no problems since then.

My vote: No, they cause no problems for PDAs but can have adverse affects on devices or products sensitive to magnetic fields such as floppy disks, hard drives, credit cards, and audio or video cassettes.)

But it is still a little ummm.. troubling when you stick magnets to your pda screen. :lol:
Then don't stick magnets to your screen!

Thank you! I'll be here all week! :D

--Dave

Jason Lee
10-31-2003, 06:39 PM
LOL

Thanks Dave! ;)

Looks like I can pretend to feel safe using my new case. :D

Oh and I'll try to stop sticking the magnets to the screen... :lol:

:bangin: :clap:

PetiteFlower
10-31-2003, 06:56 PM
I watched Mythbusters a couple of weeks ago when they were testing the stability of credit card strips.....regular magnets did nothing. The only way they could damage the information on the card was with an electromagnet that was like 8000 times more powerful then what you'd find on the refrigerator(or PDA case!). I was amazed at the abuse the cards were taking, even the microwave didn't hurt them!

Dave Beauvais
10-31-2003, 07:09 PM
That may very well be true, but can't change the fact that both my credit card and ATM card stopped working on the same day after my Vaja case came close to my wallet for an hour or so. :)

Picture this: The Vaja case clips to my belt on a swivel clip. When I sit down, the case swivels down toward the seat, which just happens to be where my wallet was. The end of the case contains two very strong magnets which are now essentially stuck next to my wallet for about an hour. The next time I tried to use either card, they didn't work. Maybe something else did it, but I don't think so.

I always carry my Pocket PC on my right side and used to do the same with my wallet. I moved my wallet to my left back pocket just to be on the safe side and no other cards have been messed up since.

--Dave

Jason Lee
10-31-2003, 08:23 PM
I am always carful where I put the case. I used to keep my ppc in my back pack with all my cables and my other electornic junk. Don't feel safe as of yet doing that. Especially with my laptop in there.. :)

I am definetly gonna have to be carful with my wallet. 8O

bgate
10-31-2003, 09:18 PM
Have used the vaja case for almost a year and have had no issues with anything... I am even in the habit of putting my cell phone on/next to the pda and have had no "bad" behavior...

Brent

Pat Logsdon
10-31-2003, 09:28 PM
Have used the vaja case for almost a year and have had no issues with anything... I am even in the habit of putting my cell phone on/next to the pda and have had no "bad" behavior...
Seconded. I've had two Vaja cases with magnets over the last three years, and never had a problem, even with my 3+ hour daily commute...

Shadowcat
11-02-2003, 11:04 PM
I don't have a Pocket PC case with a magnet but my cell phone case does. I commented on how the phone was facing towards me (i.e. the screen faces my body, away from the magnet) and the saleslady said that they started designing cases like that because some magnets started damaging cell phone screens. Whether that is true or not I don't know but I haven't had a single problem with my case.

David Prahl
11-03-2003, 02:11 AM
I have a Piel Frama case for my Axim X5 that uses a magnetic clip. No problems at all.

Check out my review of it here:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,17453