View Full Version : A thought about high res screens in PDA's

Prevost
10-31-2003, 04:33 PM
Palm's 320x320 screens and software allow the user to choose the "zoom" mode in the display, meaning that you can either view the fonts of a document in its "natural" scale (usually, too small to be usable in real world conditions), or to magnify the LOOK of the fonts making them the size they would be in a 160x160 display (good size to be easily readable) using the "spare" pixels to smooth the fonts and WITHOUT the need to change font point size.

Considering this, let me say that, as probably you already know, I don't believe going beyond 320x240 in PPC to, say, 640x480, is going to make better devices, at least for some uses. Granted, probably many of you that use extensively your ppcs for web browsing will say that you'll finally be allowed to see the full web page without scrolling, but how legible will that be? I'm sure some will say it's pretty much legible, or even "go get your reading glasses", but that will NEVER be as readable as 320x240 in the small screen of a PDA. For sure, Pocket Word and Excel will render unusable...I can tell you they are actually unusable in 320x320 AT NATURAL SCALE.

And this is probably the main concern here: Windows seems to me supporting screen fonts only in NATURAL SCALE. If it's so and keeps so in the future, then PPC resolutions will never really surpass Palm resolution in what I figure out must be the main concern of PDAs: usability, meaning with this the way the device interact with the natural capabilities of the human body. I mean, they MUST go along with natural "settings" of the human body (as that saying the natural distance humans instinctively set a paper to read it is about 10 inches from his eyes).

If keeping a reasonably legible fonts is the goal, then PPC is NOT going to be finer than 320x240, at least with the current software. Just hope when PPCs capable of 640x480 displays are the common, both software and hardware is going to support using display at 320x240 at choice. I suppose it's going to be so, but also hope it's not as unhandy as it is in Windows.

I guess this is the same reason Mac displays are so far better, clearer, than Windows displays.

Janak Parekh
10-31-2003, 06:01 PM
I have to say that you're really speculating here on the future of Windows Mobile, when none of us know the details. I'd suggest waiting on this discussion until we really know how it's going to be implemented. As it is, WinCE has had a scalable font engine in it for many years, well ahead of Palm OS.

As for the readability of 640x480 with small fonts, the anecdotal reports I've heard from people with Samsung NEXiOs, the e800, etc. have been mostly positive; and I don't always agree with the 10-inch metaphor.

--janak

Prevost
10-31-2003, 10:01 PM
Yeah, some speculation goes on. Don't take me wrong, I'm not flaming "elegantly"; I'm just expressing my fears upon what I have seen in Windows since the first one I used (3.0)

I won't like at all seeing PPC dissapear or updating the OS without considering important things not resolved that everybody has to deal with if taking the PPC direction. Also, I want to know that there will be not one, but at least 2 platforms for handheld computing that can fulfill my needs without having to cope with annoyancces. I want the possibility to chose.

Right now, I feel relegated, because there are no new devices with screens having the best possible readability outside (reflectives). I'm feeling like I have to live with screens that cause me to make an effort to use the PDA outside...at the punishment of going back to pen and paper if I resist. I don't want the PDA's to become ALSO unreadable inside just because of pursuing an amount of pixels in the display without considering if it will be readable at all.

takotchi
11-02-2003, 07:41 AM
All I can say on the screen issue is... I *just* saw a Sony Clie UX50 (the H/PC lookin' ones) a few days ago and... WOW. I wanted it so badly, but it's Palm OS... and slow... and doesn't have much memory... and uses memory stick (ew).

I guess it could have to do with my age, but, the screen was crystal clear and perfectly viewable for me. I like the crisp look of a high resolution in a small screen size (can't stand the 320x240 3.8" and 4" PPC screens).

If they could take the UX50, add the PocketPC OS, give it an xscale processor faster than the old 400MHz, and switch the Memory Stick slot for SD I/O... I would buy that, now.

I just wish Microsoft would GIVE IT UP and let OEMs make devices like the Clie UX series; and make the OS more flexible, to allow for many different resolutions and orientations without some bootleg 3rd party fix or utility, or having programs that don't support resolution X run in a tiny box or something. (not that Palm OS doesn't have to do that, I'm sure it does)

I guess this is the same reason Mac displays are so far better, clearer, than Windows displays.

Uh... what? I assume you aren't referring to monitors, since there are no "Windows" or "Mac" monitors... so what does that mean? It makes no sense.

Prevost
11-02-2003, 07:49 AM
What I mean is, you do not see a Mac using one of the monitors you use with a PC or viceversa. I don't really know if you could switch monitors with the systems, but if you can, then probably you will notice the same thing. What you see in a flat panel connected to a Mac is VERY diffetent from what you see in a flat panel on a PC.

Fishie
11-02-2003, 01:29 PM
What I mean is, you do not see a Mac using one of the monitors you use with a PC or viceversa. I don't really know if you could switch monitors with the systems, but if you can, then probably you will notice the same thing. What you see in a flat panel connected to a Mac is VERY diffetent from what you see in a flat panel on a PC.

Now this is just silly, I know people who hacked into fonts etcetera to make XP look like OSX and I must say it looks just about exact so I dunno what it is youre on abouth.

takotchi
11-03-2003, 12:32 AM
UHH... no. Just no. A monitor is a monitor, it depends only on the cable and the video card... there is no Mac/Windows difference.

There is a difference between Mac displays and nice MS ClearType, though... :)

joshka
11-06-2003, 11:27 PM

uh, i don't know where you source anything of what you think but as a direct counterexample, at my old man's work on the macs, they have 19"/21" flatscreens other people have on their pc's..

i think the 21" is sony, and another is lg (?).. i'm not 100%, but they're sure as hell not apple..

just as the same as you can use some pc video cards in macs ;D

it's all the same, really, just a bios tweak and off you go ;D

Tom W.M.
11-07-2003, 06:26 AM
Do you mean the Mac gamma?