View Full Version : Wifi, VPN, MSN Messenger?

MadBison
10-31-2003, 12:47 PM
Hello

I have a problem getting MSN messenger working.

iPAQ 5550, Pocket PC 2003, built in wireless, using VPN, using WEP.

Browsing the internet works fine. The VPN has access to the internet. In the VPN settings, I set up an exclusion list of "*.*/*". This means that ALL web sites will be retrieved from the VPN, not the dial up internet access. Works great.

I even have pop3 working through this.

Now the problem is MSN messenger. I have the very latest version as of a week or two ago. When I try to log on, it says the service is unavailable. On a PC on the netword I am connecting to, I have access to MSN Messenger. So I figure it could be the VPN settings on the server, but seriously doubt it.

Heres why. When I access a web site in Pocket IE, I get the logon pocess to the VPN, and then the page is served up. When I download email with POP3, it also automatically connects to the VPN, and then downloads. But when I try to sign into MSN messenger, it does NOT try to connect to the VPN. I suspect that it does not know it should use the VPN.

So the question is, how to I get MSN messenger to use the VPN? Is there an Exclude string that I can use to catch this scenario? Do I need to set something else up? Or is it just plain impossible?

Also, as a side question, I notice that I am disconnected from the VPN almost immediately after the page is served up to IE. Maybe 20 seconds or so at the most. So it works out that I browse to a page, it connects to the VPN, but the time I have read it and found the link I want, it has disconneced. Now I must wait till it connects again. I suspect this is going to cause big problems with MSN Messenger, unless it automatically keeps the connection allive.

I am still not totally clear on the distinction between the connection via wifi to the server, and the separate connection then to the VPN.

Thanks you for any help
David