View Full Version : T-Mobile Internet

coredump
10-31-2003, 07:18 AM
Has anyone tried the T-Mobile Internet (GRSP, not the 802.11)? What do you think of it?

Ed Hansberry
10-31-2003, 01:54 PM
I use GPRS all of the time with my 2215 and Nokia 3650 cell phone. It is about like using a 28K modem.

msdawe
10-31-2003, 02:13 PM
I use it when I need to with my 2215 and my Sony Ericsson T610. It is fast enough to check email and sometimes fast enough to IM. Despite this, I love the flexibility it provides me.

bdegroodt
10-31-2003, 02:52 PM
Have used it from the first day it was ever available to the U.S. market and can say while it was horrid in its earliest days, it's become very reliable and fast enough for email and the occasional remote web surfing session. I think it's worth the money.

ucacjbs
10-31-2003, 03:02 PM
I got a t610 from t-mobile last weekend to partner my iPaq 1945. I'd agree with the comment that it's similar to a 28k modem. I like the service so far since it allows me to get things done on my commute, be it catch up with neglected e-mails or just have access to online newspapers.

If you do decide to go with t-mobile and a t610, I've got a tip. They supply the phone with software (for both the PC and PDA) that should be able to configure the t610 to access their GPRS system. I had no luck with either the PC software (using the IR port to talk to the phone from my Dell Latitude) or the pocket PC software (over bluetooth). However, if you go to the t-mobile website, then follow this set of links:

help->services->t-mobile internet help->configure other devices

this gets you to the "t-mobile wireless data configurator" page, from where you should choose to "build a solution around a t-mobile mobile phone". On subsequent pages, you choose the manufacturer and model of your phone, and then the computer or Pocket PC type that you'd like to set up together. Currently they don't have advice for the t610 and h1945, but I found that the instructions for hooking up a t68i to an iPaq 2210 were close enough to get the phone working with my 1945 over bluetooth (I also used their instructions to connect the phone to the laptop over the IR port).

coredump
10-31-2003, 04:37 PM
Cool, thanks. I noticed all of you are using phones and not that PCMCIA card. What do you guys think of that?

shill79
10-31-2003, 04:46 PM
I've used the Sierra Wireless Aircard 750 (PCMCIA card) and it works very well... Faster and more reliable than having the laptop hooked up to a Bluetooth-phone

coredump
10-31-2003, 04:52 PM
Oh, cool. See, here's my problem.

I hoped to use the Internet on both my laptop and my 2215. I can get a bluetooth phone and a bluetooth PCMCIA in order to get both my 2215 and laptop wired. However, that is kinda "bulky". I figured I really don't need internet on my 2215 because it is nothing like doing work in front of a real laptop. I figured getting the AirCard 750 would be better for the job. Any of you got better suggestions that I might have missed?

bdegroodt
10-31-2003, 06:03 PM
Biggest problem I can see is that it's not a phone and on a GSM network if you want to use a phone on the same account you'll have to switch your SIM from phone to card on a regular basis and that's not entirely simple on a lot of phones (take cover off, remove battery, slide holder to open position, shake phone vigoursly until SIM pops out, scan floor for SIM, retrieve SIM, etc...). I'd think that would be fine for a CDMA network since you don't have the goofy card to worry about...or if you don't want to use your voice service. That's the only reason why I use a phone w/ blue tooth.

coredump
10-31-2003, 06:15 PM
Oh okay. I have a Verizon cell phone. Unfortunately, I don't have T-Mobile signal at my house. I plan to use the T-Moblie Internet anywhere but at my house so that should be fine.

bdegroodt
10-31-2003, 07:21 PM
Oh okay. I have a Verizon cell phone. Unfortunately, I don't have T-Mobile signal at my house. I plan to use the T-Moblie Internet anywhere but at my house so that should be fine.

Exactly what I do. I don't use a home line, so I use a Verizon phone as my primary phone and have the GPRS/voice service through TM that I use mostly for email/data and if I feel like being pissed about sound quality an occasional phone call for kicks. If Verizon would do me the courtesy of adding a blue tooth enabled phone, I'd probably consolidate the lines.

Cortex
11-02-2003, 03:55 PM
i've been using a t-mobile pocket pc phone for some time and since i'm paying for the unlimited data plan anyway, i bought a pcmcia sierra 750 aircard on ebay last week for my laptop.

because t-mobiles coverage wasnt very good in my area for phone use, i now just have the data plan and i use a different cell phone for calls.

one thing to note is t-mobile will only allow one sim card per account so i am having to switch the sim from my ppc phone and my aircard -- which is a mild pain. i'm finding that i tend to keep it in my laptop since the internet experience is better. when i'm going somewhere without my laptop i switch back to the pocket pc phone.

i agree that the speed is about 28k on average. it is a shocking experience to actually have internet access on a laptop practically ANYWHERE even though the speed is slow, and its well worth the price.

i like it so much, ive been looking at some of the smaller laptops from www.dynamism.com to make the laptop experience even more mobile.

rzanology
11-03-2003, 02:19 PM
The gprs works fine with my laptop and 2215. On my way to boston last week end i was using it in the car, and i was able to get speeds up to 46k...which was prett damn good. I was surfing the web and still imming!

Arkhangel
11-06-2003, 05:36 AM
one thing to note is t-mobile will only allow one sim card per account so i am having to switch the sim from my ppc phone and my aircard -- which is a mild pain.

Well, they only allow one SIM card per phone number. You could always setup a second SIM card with a data-only plan. I have this for my AirCard.

Trokair
11-07-2003, 03:06 AM
If I purchase a Sony Erricson T610 phone on T-Mobile, do I need the T-Zones $9.99/month add-on or the T-Mobile Unlimited Internet $19.99/month add-on to be able to surf/get email/etc. with my iPAQ 3970?

Thanks!
-Kyle

bdegroodt
11-07-2003, 03:08 AM
If I purchase a Sony Erricson T610 phone on T-Mobile, do I need the T-Zones $9.99/month add-on or the T-Mobile Unlimited Internet $19.99/month add-on to be able to surf/get email/etc. with my iPAQ 3970?

Thanks!
-Kyle

To get the internet/mail on your iPAQ you'll need the TM Unl internet plan. Otherwise you'll find yourself restricted to getting stuff on your phone and unable to utilize the servers TM has for email etc.

maikii
11-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Is the Sony-Ericsson 610 the only T-Mobile phone currently available that has Bluetooth? I believe I have read reviews of that phone that are not so complimentary. Those of you who have that phone, how do you like it?

I read somewhere about a flip-phone version (which I prefer) of that phone, but I don't see it available at T-Mobile.

I also have the IPAQ 2210, and now if I want to connect it to the Internet, I have to connect it by cable to my phone. I have the special cable, but I usually don't bother with it. Since I usually have both the phone and PDA with me (current phone (Motorola v60) doesn't have Bluetooth) , if I had a bluetooth phone, and could easily connect to the Internet with the 2210 without finding the cable and connecting it, etc., I think I might do that more often. Not for major web-surfing, of course, but to look up something quickly on the web while on the go. (I can do some of that with the phone itself, but the PDA would be much better for it.)

But if the 610 is the only BLuetooth phone available for TM, I wonder if I should wait until others become available?

Motorola has the v600 that should come out soon, but who knows when?
http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/m_v600.html

It's a flip phone, successor to my current one, with Bluetooth and a camera.

I also like the idea of the new Motorola Smartphone (I think mx200, not sure of the model #.) To have PPC capabilities in the phone itself, great! However, surprised that it does not have Bluetooth! Of course, one could use the phone itself for Internet access, much better than my current phone for that, but with the much smaller screen, certainly not as good for that as my 2210, so it still would be nice to have that Bluetooth connection capability, but it doesn't have it. Besides, at this point only available on ATT Wireless, not T-Mobile.

So--I would appreciate any comments on how people like the SE 600 as a phone in general, whether there are any other Bluetooth phones currently available for T-Mobile that I am not aware of, and whether anyone has any info on when new models will be available, whether people have tried test models of these, etc.

Janak Parekh
11-08-2003, 09:21 PM
Is the Sony-Ericsson 610 the only T-Mobile phone currently available that has Bluetooth?
No -- there's the Nokia 3650 as well, and it's supposed to have very solid reception.

--janak

bdegroodt
11-08-2003, 09:34 PM
It should also be said that you don't have to use a phone that's issued by TM. You can always get the GSM phone that you like (Assuming it plays nice with TM's network), slide in your SIM and you're ready to go. I use a SE t68i and have for a year or so with no issues, full BT support and all around good little phone.

The 610 is growing on me though. What bad reviews have you heard? Most everything I've read is saying this phone saved the SE partnership.

One more thing. If you like a flip phone, you can check ebay (or some other source of your choice) for the older SE T39. I used that phone before my T68i and with the exception of the color screen, I thought that phone was one of the best I've ever owned. Flip style, BT supported, and an external antenna which I believe gave it the quality reception it had.

Thinkingmandavid
11-09-2003, 01:58 AM
When you get the unlimited plan you dont need the tzones, it is included.

Ed Hansberry
11-09-2003, 03:26 AM
has it changed? When I went to the unlimited plan, T-Zones was dropped. I called and they told me I needed to pay $2.99 for it and kindly removed the previous month charges where I had racked up T-zone minutes and SMS. Net Net, Unlimited data + T-Zones charges are still way less than the old plans. :D

maikii
11-09-2003, 04:23 AM
I don't think it's as simple as that in most cases, just slide in the SIM card. If it's locked to another carrier, you have to unlock it first.

Also, i think I could probably get a phone through TM at a much lower price than elsewhere new, and possibly better than used through Ebay. (And I've had some bad experiences with phones bought on Ebay.) Because----my contract recently expired, so I think I could get a good deal on a new phone for renewing my contract.

I could probably get a good deal on the 610 now, as they are going at a very low price for new customers now. Anywhere else but TM, it would cost a lot more. Tempting to get one, but wondering whether to wait for a better one, as more Bluetooth phones should be available soon.

Tell us what you like about the 610. Any negatives?

Sorry, I cannot remember where I read the bad reviews of the 610. One was very negative, it sounded like the phone was almost useless.

It should also be said that you don't have to use a phone that's issued by TM. You can always get the GSM phone that you like (Assuming it plays nice with TM's network), slide in your SIM and you're ready to go. I use a SE t68i and have for a year or so with no issues, full BT support and all around good little phone.

The 610 is growing on me though. What bad reviews have you heard? Most everything I've read is saying this phone saved the SE partnership.

One more thing. If you like a flip phone, you can check ebay (or some other source of your choice) for the older SE T39. I used that phone before my T68i and with the exception of the color screen, I thought that phone was one of the best I've ever owned. Flip style, BT supported, and an external antenna which I believe gave it the qual
ity reception it had.

Thinkingmandavid
11-09-2003, 12:23 PM
maybe it has changed. I am going to follow up on it. mmmm, you saw your bill have the charges, unless i am thinking of a different package.

bdegroodt
11-09-2003, 03:15 PM
I don't think it's as simple as that in most cases, just slide in the SIM card. If it's locked to another carrier, you have to unlock it first.

Also, i think I could probably get a phone through TM at a much lower price than elsewhere new, and possibly better than used through Ebay. (And I've had some bad experiences with phones bought on Ebay.) Because----my contract recently expired, so I think I could get a good deal on a new phone for renewing my contract.

Each to his/her own. I've only ever accepted one carrier subd phone from TM. I've been willing to pay the additional cost for the phone to have it unlocked and useful for international travel (instead of paying international roaming minutes.). I've purchased most of my phones from Expansys (http://www.expansys.com).

One good thing about TM is if you do take their locked phones, they are pretty good about providing you the SIM unlock code after a few months.

Keep us posted if you decide to get the 610. I'd like to hear what you think of it. I really didn't like the design when it came out, but I pass one each morning in a shop window and it's starting to grow on me. Some additional research/reviews for you at PhoneScoop (http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/user_reviews.php?id=274).

weisco
11-12-2003, 03:37 PM
I just received the T610 (I normally use T-Mobiles Pocket PC) & bought a Belkin bluetooth USB adapter.

Following directions first for setting up Belkin on my Acer TravelMate 800 with XP Pro, and then the detailed directions on T-Mobile website for pairing and connecting the T610 it works great!

I only tried connecting the T610 as a GPRS modem. I plan to upgrade my plan to unlimited GPRS today.

After reading horror stories on forums about bluetooth I was happy not to have any challenges.

Thinkingmandavid
11-12-2003, 04:13 PM
I am considering buying the T616, bt and camera. It will go nicely if I buy a bt sd card.

keatoh
11-12-2003, 06:07 PM
I have a iPAQ 5455, planning to buy the Sony Ericsson T610 by T-Mobile soon.

Questions:

1. Can I still use the GPRS services (connect to internet) if I opt to get the Prepaid Plan?

2. I am reading all these different data, unlimited, etc. addition addon plans, but can I just use the phone as a modem and dial-up to my ISP (Earthlink) and just get charged as minute used?

3. Anyone knows who (Cingular, T-Moblie, and AT&T) has the best/most GSM coverage for Nationwide plan?

Thanks,
:D

barky81
11-12-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally, t-zones was included in the package.

When I went from the $19.99 5-meg package to the same priced 10-meg package, they left t-zones alone.

However, when I went from the $19.99 10-meg to unlimited, they started charging me the 2.99 for t-zones.

Never felt like arguing about it. Just hoping someone comes up with an equally attractive data package so that I can jump once portability gets here...

has it changed? When I went to the unlimited plan, T-Zones was dropped. I called and they told me I needed to pay $2.99 for it and kindly removed the previous month charges where I had racked up T-zone minutes and SMS. Net Net, Unlimited data + T-Zones charges are still way less than the old plans. :D

Thinkingmandavid
11-13-2003, 03:39 AM
Cingular has the largeset GSM coverage, but they do not have the best internet plan. T-Mobile has the best internet plan. 29.99 per month with a one year contract and it is unlimited.
you can get prepaid, but I dont know the rates at the moment.

bdegroodt
11-13-2003, 03:55 AM
Cingular has the largeset GSM coverage, but they do not have the best internet plan. T-Mobile has the best internet plan. 29.99 per month with a one year contract and it is unlimited.
you can get prepaid, but I dont know the rates at the moment.

Just curious what you are basing your coverage data on.

From PhoneScoop.com (http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/prepaid_exposed/index.php)

T-Mobile is a curious case when it comes to prepaid. It has historically had a lock on all foreign tourist traffic, roaming or via prepaid, because of having the largest GSM network in America, yet they choose to limit how they can make money on their prepaid options.

For example, you cannot 'formally' buy a SIM card from T-Mobile in order to have prepaid service with them. Yes, there are several shops that will sell them to you without a phone package, but they're not supposed to do that. Those stores typically dissect the prepaid packages and sell the SIM and phone separately. Additionally, T-mobile will not allow their prepaid customers to use the GPRS network, nor do they offer any prepaid services (easily found) on their website.. It's almost like they have disdain for the prepaid customer.

However, if you're used to GSM service, and you're only here in the USA for a short period of time, T-Mobile still has the largest GSM network in America, with AT&T and Cingular quickly catching up.

Also, for TM, you can get unlimited data for 19.99/mo if you have voice service.

Thinkingmandavid
11-13-2003, 03:59 AM
He needs to look at the coverage maps. The latest from both companies make it obvious. That is like believing the guy from was it the washington post who was building up the other os and not ppc.

bdegroodt
11-13-2003, 04:17 AM
He needs to look at the coverage maps. The latest from both companies make it obvious. That is like believing the guy from was it the washington post who was building up the other os and not ppc.

Not sure what your last part of your post means, but looking at those maps won't tell you a thing. They're far from useful or accurate. It's widely understood that TM reaches the greatest population of US customers and Cingular and AT&T have been trying to catch up for a very long time.

I consider Rich Brome and PhoneScoop to be a very solid source of information on the topic and would put a bit more trust into his numbers than I would either vendors.

Janak Parekh
11-13-2003, 04:20 AM
Not sure what your last part of your post means, but looking at those maps won't tell you a thing. They're far from useful or accurate.
Indeed. From Cingular's own site:

Map depicts an approximation of outdoor coverage. Map may include areas served by unaffiliated carriers, and may depict their licensed area rather than an approximation of the coverage there. Actual coverage area may differ substantially from map graphics, and coverage may be affected by such things as terrain, weather, foliage, buildings and other construction, signal strength, customer equipment and other factors. Cingular does not guarantee coverage.

Long-term, I do believe Cingular and AT&T will pass T-Mobile, as they probably have more licensed areas due to their TDMA heritage. But T-Mo's network is indeed quite extensive.

Incidentally, Verizon is by far the worst in this regard, despite their very extensive networks. Go figure.

--janak

p.s. I believe Thinkingman was referring to Rob Pegoraro as a PalmOS supporter...

bdegroodt
11-13-2003, 04:24 AM
Incidentally, Verizon is by far the worst in this regard, despite their very extensive networks. Go figure.

--janak

No kidding. They rolled out the new data service here in DC (Did you guys get it in the city?) and I'm tempted. But it wouldn't do me a lot of good when I travel and that's the biggest plus of TM for me right now. So, until then I 2 carriers, 2 phones and one PDA to get the job done 8O

Janak Parekh
11-13-2003, 04:28 AM
No kidding. They rolled out the new data service here in DC (Did you guys get it in the city?) and I'm tempted. But it wouldn't do me a lot of good when I travel and that's the biggest plus of TM for me right now.
You mean 1xEV-DO? It's not that bad, as the PC card they offer automatically falls back to 1xRTT, which is now present in the vast majority of their digital network. :) And 1xRTT still runs circles around GPRS, even though it is more expensive.

--janak

p.s. No, we don't have 1xEV-DO yet :cry: In general, you'll see all new CDMA technologies hitting San Diego first (Qualcomm!) and then, for some reason, DC (capital?) before it starts spreading to other top 10 markets.

Thinkingmandavid
11-13-2003, 04:30 AM
By the way, read T-Mobiles map it basically says the same thing as the Cingular map. It is a duh, all the carriers have a disclaimer in their maps. REad it and see for yourself. Sowhen you put that about Cingular, put it about all the other carriers as well.

News flash, if you believe they dont stand for a thing then you cant even go by that guys article, and also the GSM coverage in the U.S by T-Mobile and Cingular is 97% of the population. Cingular is extending their GSM coverage beyond the major cities. Saying it is known is crazy, they were are maybe more well known for using GSM and buying up little companies that were GSM. Cingular has had GSM for while in a few markets.