View Full Version : Anyone use Covey software?

benca1
10-31-2003, 04:34 AM
Looks fantastic.

http://shopping.franklincovey.com/shopping/catalog/productsoftware.jsp?id=prod289&c=store_home_center

Any input? Worth the 80 bucks?

Brad Adrian
10-31-2003, 04:39 AM
I think it could be worth the money IF you've already gone through the training and are familiar with their concepts.

Now, for a personal opinion...
I used to like the Covey stuff a LOT more before they merged with Franklin. I think Covey sold out a lot of his spiritual ideas and diluted the depth of the values represented when he merged.

jimski
10-31-2003, 05:47 AM
By the early 2002, I was long past using the paper Franklin Planner, actively running Franklin Planner Software along with Lotus Notes for e-mail. Then I discovered Outlook and found a way to import my Lotus Notes mail. Wow, everything in one place on one screen.

Missing my Franklin stuff after a week of learning to navigate Outlook, I picked up Franklin Planner for Outlook (V 1.4) only to discover that this product was not compatible with Outlook 2000, only Outlook 2000 and earlier. The Franklin tech directed me to a site that sold old, outdated MS software to find Outlook 2000 (why would I want to go backwards) as he had no idea when a new version of their software would be released.

After several unsuccessful Outlook 2002 uninstalls and attempts to install Outlook 2000 (from an Office 2000 disk) I finally gave up and decided to live without. I now use Outlook for everything. I have task folders for long rang goals, master tasks, etc. And I don't have to deal with some of the issues associated with Franklin Covey software, like needing to move tasks forward each day (how does that save time). FranklinCovey did eventually upgrade their software (like 9 months later).

If you have grown up with paper based Franklin or Covey systems, then this might be attractive, but otherwise Outlook 2002 (can't wait to get my hands on 2003) has all the tools anyone should need.

Thinkingmandavid
11-01-2003, 02:08 AM
I downloaded the latest franklincovey software, "plan plus", and it is ok so far. Teh ppc is ok, it basically is about tasks on your ppc. But for outlook I can say I like it a lot better than the original version. I have used xp and it has been compatible with that. I am only doing a trial, I am not sure if i want to buy it. I have been using the franklin system for 6 years.
I cant say I believe covey sold out, I do feel they are a good blend. I also believe we are all in charge of our own destiny in life.

karen
11-01-2003, 02:15 AM
I have PlanPlus and given my typical day, I lived and died by PP.

Then I had to install outlook 2003 beta for a project and I ended up removing PP due to constant errors and incompatibilities. I have now moved to the GA relase of OL2003, but have not reinstalled.

I found that the wizards (not called that) are really good in getting someone up to speed. I also found that re-reading my copy of First Things First made a huge difference.

I love this approach to managing me (not my time); however, I would think that this software delivers the most benefit to those who have decided to change how they live or at least how they manage their life. This isn't really for those looking for time management software.

My friends are constantly telling me that they can't imagine how I manage to get all the things done that I do. When they ask me why, I tell them I put first things first and invest in tomorrow, a little bit every day. It makes a huge difference.

Karen

Thinkingmandavid
11-01-2003, 02:25 AM
That is good and I agree with you :wink:
So then are you going to download and try the latest version?
I would think that this software delivers the most benefit to those who have decided to change how they live or at least how they manage their life. This isn't really for those looking for time management software.

I like what you said, I have been to the "time quest" seminar and the "project planning" siminar. This is when I lived in Houston Texas.

benca1
11-01-2003, 04:09 PM
I really like Covey's approach to time management.... a few times it's been insinuated that Covey's approach requires a lifestyle change then anything else and I strongly disagree. In my humble opinion, I think he makes us revisit what is important, and maps out a tool for integrating these values into an actual planner. Neat stuff. In it's core, it's still a time management system, but with relevent tasks and a meaningful schedule. He's literally moving you from day to day task based planning to life project management, where everything is related to each other. I find it fascinating.

You know, he wrote the 7 Habits after writing a disseration on historical self-help literature and noticed glaring discrepencies between 20th century self-help writing and anything older: even the context with which he wrote the book in interesting. (But I think his writing is very verbose and dull....)

I found it while majoring in philisophy at school (I dropped it and do computer work now for obvious reasons!), and it's still the only book I know of that intergrates ones value system with day to day living. Neatest of all, it intergrates all value systems and is useful for any kind of success. Though it's always aimed at business...

There's a new version out, and I really like the goal tracking and intergration into Outlook.

But lately I'm a little awed by Pocket Informant. I'll see what I can do with good 25 dollar software that I can try for free before dropping 80 bucks on this.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thinkingmandavid
11-02-2003, 02:36 AM
I found the principles useful from Franklin. I was using franking before covey became a part. I feel that you dont have to use the planner to apply the principles, but it certainly makes it easier and more convenient.
I feel that when we start to use the time we do get to our original source and meaning in our lives, and since we are following some principles we do experience a life change. some where from the beginning to where we are today, we lost touch of time and how to use it and make it meaningful for ourselves. we let time control us instead of us controling it.

Jimmy Dodd
11-03-2003, 04:18 PM
I've been using the Franklin Planner system for eleven or twelve years now and it seems extremely natural to me. Several years ago I switched from paper to the Franklin Planner Software for Windows and liked it a lot. When I started using Pocket PCs I found that there wasn't a good solution for them. The Outlook add-ons didn't really follow the FC methodology (mostly due to the design of tasks in Outlook) and there isn't a good PPC client for FPS so I wrote my own (it's good to be a professional developer). I'm now writing a new desktop version as well to sync with the PPC.

EDIT: Oh yeah, PlanPlus. Definately download the demo and use it for 30 days (or 60, or 90, or whatever it is) and see if it works for you before shelling out the 80 bucks. I didn't like it (I already said that) but that was mainly because of the ties to Outlook. Strangley, their Tablet PC software looks really good - it seems to act more like the paper system and doesn't seem to be tied to Outlook and the Outlook database. Too bad there is no PC or PPC equivilant. :roll:

Thinkingmandavid
11-03-2003, 06:06 PM
I agree, the franklincovey for the ppc to me sucks. I do not see the big deal with tasks. It is the only thing it adds. I would seem to me that they would be thinking people are carrying around their ppc and not the desk top/laptop so there should be a kick A** software for the ppc. If they are so great why not give pi and the others a run for their money? :)

benca1
11-05-2003, 05:08 PM
I'm now writing a new desktop version as well to sync with the PPC.

EDIT: Oh yeah, PlanPlus. Definately download the demo and use it for 30 days (or 60, or 90, or whatever it is) and see if it works for you before shelling out the 80 bucks. I didn't like it (I already said that) but that was mainly because of the ties to Outlook. Strangley, their Tablet PC software looks really good - it seems to act more like the paper system and doesn't seem to be tied to Outlook and the Outlook database. Too bad there is no PC or PPC equivilant. :roll:

Alright!

Speaking of which, I hate Outlook. It's robust, but I find the interface to be terrible, and a prime example of the shotgun approach MS takes towards development. I honestly think that the interface is one of their lesser priorities.

I can't wait to see what you come out with!

By the way, I'm smitten with ListPro - great tracking/database/organization software.

karen
11-06-2003, 12:38 AM
.... a few times it's been insinuated that Covey's approach requires a lifestyle change then anything else and I strongly disagree.

Not really lifestyle, I guess, but I think to get the 80 bucks of benefits one must re-prioritize how they look at activities. At least that's how it worked for me. In other words, you aren't paying for the organizer; you're paying for the methodology that helps you plan and organize.

In my humble opinion, I think he makes us revisit what is important, and maps out a tool for integrating these values into an actual planner. Neat stuff.

Exactly!

In it's core, it's still a time management system, but with relevent tasks and a meaningful schedule. He's literally moving you from day to day task based planning to life project management, where everything is related to each other. I find it fascinating.

Exactly, again.

I'll see what I can do with good 25 dollar software that I can try for free before dropping 80 bucks on this.

I thought about that, but it would take me too long.

Karen

Thinkingmandavid
11-06-2003, 02:13 AM
YOu are paying for the methodology is correct :!:
I attended two franklin covey seminars, timequest and project planning. They were useful. YOu dont have to use the planner to apply the principle, but I can see how it makes it easier to apply the principles :wink: