View Full Version : SD GSM card

hdsalinas
10-30-2003, 10:12 PM
Someone who works as a sales agent at a local GSM phone company told me that there was a SD GSM card that I could use to turn my Ipaq 1945 into a cell phone.

I have not heard anything about a SD card so I thought he was just confused. But the idea still bugs me, so I am asking you guys if any of you has heard anything about it.

I know I would by one!

Jason Dunn
10-30-2003, 10:30 PM
I haven't heard of one myself, but that doesn't mean they're not out there...somewhere. :wink:

bdegroodt
10-30-2003, 11:54 PM
Wouldn't surprise me to see it in the next couple of years. This article (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9132)points out a mispoken quote on SD GSM. It really was CF, but they wrote it in error originally.

Thinkingmandavid
10-31-2003, 07:27 AM
hi:) I have seen a compact flash gsm but not a secure digital.
Did he give you any more info? I would like to see that myself. wow, imagine that, the 1945 with bluetooth and gsm and in a small package :wink: Not bad at all.

tom dunne
10-31-2003, 11:19 AM
I would be very sceptical of a SD GSM card. Given the small size of the SD form factor, it would be very difficult to get a SIM in there. A card that combined room for the SIM, along with the cellular radio, would probably be the size of a stick of gum!

There are a number of CF GSM cards available, I am thinking of purchasing one (I have posted in another thread, but nobody has replied :cry: )

bdegroodt
10-31-2003, 02:40 PM
I would be very sceptical of a SD GSM card. Given the small size of the SD form factor, it would be very difficult to get a SIM in there. A card that combined room for the SIM, along with the cellular radio, would probably be the size of a stick of gum!

There are a number of CF GSM cards available, I am thinking of purchasing one (I have posted in another thread, but nobody has replied :cry: )

It would probably have to look something like the SD cameras for a few generations. SD interface with a mass of "stuff" sticking out from the card.

Thinkingmandavid
10-31-2003, 05:47 PM
Until then the cf card for gsm will have to do. It isnt bad, I know some Fujitsu LOox users buy the gsm cf card for their ppc :wink:
I am not sure hwo it would look in an sd card, there is probably some tesing going on wiht that idea.

maximus
11-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Humm, the fujitsu connect2air GPRS/GSM is banned in several countries in asia, because it emits enormous amount of radiation. Bad bad bad fujitsu.

Thinkingmandavid
11-04-2003, 02:18 PM
mm, I didnt know about that, but I do know they are not the only ones selling gsm/cf cards.
yeah you are right, bad on them.

hdsalinas
11-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Well, first of all I dont think that he actually kneww what he was talking about. He probably thought that my SD slot was a sim slot.

Anyways, I was just wondering if it was possible. I thought about the "sim slot" that would be required for a SD card, but perhaps with all your suggestions it could work. I am really speculating here but couldn`t they make a SIM reader that would transfer the "ROM" image to the SD GSM card. I guess this could face legal problems.

I would not be surpriced if someone came out with one. ( I hope they do)