View Full Version : Font suggestions?

slothdog
10-29-2003, 06:03 PM
Ok, all you eBook fiends, what font and point size do you use when reading your eBooks? I've played with 10pt Georgia and 10pt Frutiger Linotype, but I'm still not satisfied. Any suggestions?

Jereboam
10-29-2003, 09:32 PM
I remember that jenneth suggested some of her favourite fonts on her site, but can't find 'em anymore...if anyone remembers let me know?

Also, has anyone tried the Agfa font packs that you can buy with Palm Reader Pro or separately? Can you load them up in other readers?

J'bm

Talyn
10-30-2003, 01:00 AM
Yes, if you install any extra fonts (such as the Agfa font pack) you can use those fonts in any other eBook reader that allows you to change fonts. [intentional dig on MS Reader there]

Pat Logsdon
10-30-2003, 04:45 AM
I use good old Times New Roman with uBook. I think Frutiger Linotype is the best font for Reader, however.

You might also want to try Tahoma or Verdana, as there have been quite a few studies showing that sans-serif fonts are easier to read on computer screens.

dh
10-30-2003, 11:29 AM
I'm using Georgia which works fine for me apart from the italics which are not easy to read. The book I'm reading at the moment, Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb, has quite long sections in Italics so I'm looking for something else.

I seem to remember a post here with a suggestion of a font with proper italics so I'm going to track it down.

Update: I couldn't find the post, but I did download Georgia Italic to my Axim. Problem solved, really easy to read now. :D

davidspalding
10-31-2003, 06:06 AM
oddly enough, Trebuchet (MS) works well, and is one of te few TTF fonts which has a true italics. Sizing is odd in Mobipocket, but the typeface is clearly better than Frutuger or Georgia on my PDA, with ClearType turned off.

qmrq
11-01-2003, 09:24 AM
Arial at .. 6 or 8 point. Whatever the smallest iSilo puts out is.

Tom W.M.
11-02-2003, 12:21 AM
oddly enough, Trebuchet (MS) works well, and is one of te few TTF fonts which has a true italics.
What are "true italics"?

dMores
11-02-2003, 07:40 PM
i think it's where the "leaning" part is not handled by the computer, but embedded in the font itself.

btw, i always use a medium-dark to dark gray font color. i find it easier on the eyes.

davidspalding
11-05-2003, 05:07 AM
oddly enough, Trebuchet (MS) works well, and is one of te few TTF fonts which has a true italics.
What are "true italics"?

very easy way to tell ... look at the "a." if the italicized "a" is the same shape as the regular "a," then it's truly italicized. DTP mavens can be more precise, but basically, an "italics" form which is no more than teh normal typeface slanted over, looks lame. imHo.