View Full Version : PPC Word - Password protection

Constant Caffeine
10-28-2003, 05:41 PM
Does PPC Word have the password protection PC Word has?

If PPC Word does not have password protection, how would one use a PC Word file that is password protected?

Thanks in advance.

dean_shan
10-28-2003, 08:12 PM
It does not have password pertection.

Lex
10-28-2003, 10:30 PM
Excel allows password protection.

You might want to check out Resco File Explorer. Allows encryption and password protection of any file, Word docs included.

spursdude
10-29-2003, 12:53 AM
Advanced Explorer allows file encryption. It was free, and you should still be able to find a free version of it, either with Google or PocketPCFreewares (http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com).

benca1
10-29-2003, 12:55 AM
Excel allows password protection.

You might want to check out Resco File Explorer. Allows encryption and password protection of any file, Word docs included.

Can you passwd protect a folder with Resco?

Pat Logsdon
10-29-2003, 01:18 AM
Yes. With Resco File Explorer, just tap and hold on the folder and select "Encrypt". Then enter and confirm the password. To access it again, "Decrypt" and enter the password. Easy!

Thinkingmandavid
10-29-2003, 01:25 AM
Now there is some useful information. When I saw the original post I didnt think pocket word offered that but I wanted to wait and see who actually knew for sure.
Files that can be pass protected is a must.
OH my goodness, what am I saying :!:
AH, none of mine are protected 8O
8) But I dont have any files that need that yet.

benca1
10-29-2003, 01:37 AM
Yes. With Resco File Explorer, just tap and hold on the folder and select "Encrypt". Then enter and confirm the password. To access it again, "Decrypt" and enter the password. Easy!

Oh yeah, like a typical newb, I asked first and then tried it out!

But! It's not like I was hoping. For example, if encrpt an entire folder, I can't access anything in it on the fly, I have to decrypt it fully first. That's terrible when you have a 100 MB folder... :wink:

Ah well. It still helps me with a few more important docs, just not the entire folder.

It's a pressing issue, everyone always wants to see my pda...

Thinkingmandavid
10-29-2003, 05:17 AM
I dont understand, wouldnt you expect to have to decrypt before you could add to that folder? That is the whole idea, other wised what would be the use of having encryption???

spursdude
10-29-2003, 05:45 AM
I dont understand, wouldnt you expect to have to decrypt before you could add to that folder? That is the whole idea, other wised what would be the use of having encryption???
Say if you've encrypted 100 files in a folder, and need to access just one of them. You don't wanna have to unencrypt all 100 just to access one, do you?

stitics
10-29-2003, 06:34 AM
Say if you've encrypted 100 files in a folder, and need to access just one of them. You don't wanna have to unencrypt all 100 just to access one, do you?

Well, you CAN select all the files in the folder and mass encrypt them - they'll have the same password but be encrypted separately. Then, you can individually decrypt them.

So, the folder itself isn't encrypted, per se, but everything in it is.

Hope that helps.

Thinkingmandavid
10-29-2003, 06:52 AM
That is sort of what I was thinking.
But I was on the line that you can encrypt the entire folder that is housing the files.
When you need to get in, enter the encryption and then select the folder you want to get into.
Sounds just as good.

stitics
10-29-2003, 06:58 AM
Well, you CAN select all the files in the folder and mass encrypt them...

I stand corrected. If you select the folder and select encrypt, it performs the same task as selecting all contents. The "folder" is not encrypted, but the individual files inside are.

I am trying this as I go and shooting from the hip.

Either way, Resco Explorer 2003 is one of the best purchases I have made for my Pocket PC. So, even if this doesn't help you achieve your immediate goals, put it on your list of "must haves".

Thinkingmandavid
10-29-2003, 01:31 PM
How about checking out the new thread that was just started. Seems to me that would meet your needs just as well.http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19964

http://www.pocketmind.com/pocketprivacy.htm