View Full Version : Launching programs from CF card

Vially
10-28-2003, 03:26 AM
Hello everyone. This is my first post here, although I've been reading these nice forums for a while.
I've been thinking into getting an ipaq2211/15 or an A620, but until then, I have a question, concerning memory. Can you run applications and stuff from the SD/CF card ?
I saw a thread in which almost all ppl complained of the lack of memory, and I find it strange, as I read a while some Palm forums, and their users are able to launch almost any app from a card.

dean_shan
10-28-2003, 04:10 AM
Yes you can run programs and documents from CF and SD cards.

spursdude
10-28-2003, 04:32 AM
There are some programs that don't work on memory cards, but that's a very small number. Nothing to worry about.

Thinkingmandavid
10-28-2003, 05:31 AM
:wink: yep you are in good luck you can.
The reason some complain that they dont have enough memory is because they have so much stuff in their memory. This means they are running a lot of programs, files, music, etc. It is so much that they have used up almost all of their memory.
YOu can do with this wiht a palm or a ppc. AS an example, today I deleted some programs that I had on my toshiba because it wa using memory, and I do not see the sense in having unused programs in my toshiba.
users of palms run into the same problem.
welcome to the boards :wink: and have lots of fun chatting, and feel free to ask questions :mrgreen:

Mark_Venture
10-29-2003, 12:55 AM
Yeah, you can install/run apps, ebooks, pictures, mp3s, mpeg, wavs, etc.. from either a SD or CF memory card.

I have about 45 apps installed on my iPAQ. Everything is installed to the SD memory card rather than main memory, except... Wireless lan drivers, Cambridge vxUtil, Restart, WisBar Advance, Stop Time, tdLauncher and PocketExplorer. Of those 6 exceptions, only the lan drivers, WisBar and tdLauncher really need to be installed in main memory.

(For a nearly complete list of software installed on my iPAQ, including links, see http://marzano.home.att.net/mobile/iPAQ-Software.htm )

As a result, I have 41.78MB free main memory split between "storage" and "Program" memory. Currently allocated as 22.68MB for storage and for program 19.10MB :)

And, no, I never remove the SD memory card from the iPAQ, nor do I plan to.

Vially
10-30-2003, 08:42 PM
Hmm, nice to know that using a CF card is possible, I was afraid I'll be buying the A620BT and will not have enough memory. Thanks folks for the response and the warm welcome :)