View Full Version : 5550 WiFi Connection drops often with new 3.2.2.123 Driver

ChristopherTD
10-27-2003, 11:02 AM
It may be the new driver, or it may be my DLINK Access point, but over the last week my WIFI network at home has become extremely flaky. My 5550 will drop the connection (light goes orange) after a few minutes or less.

It used to be very stable.

Has anyone else encountered anything similar with the new driver?

Crazie.Eddie
10-27-2003, 10:13 PM
What new driver? Do you mean, the lastest firware update, that includes the WLAN update? If so, I installed it never experienced any disconnects. In fact, my neighbors Wi-Fi comes in a lot stronger with the new update.

How far are you from your access point? Are there any other devices inbetween? If your using 802.11b, then don't forget that microwave ovens and cordless phones on the same frequency can interfere also.

ChristopherTD
10-28-2003, 09:36 AM
The only thing that changed was the firmware update.

The access point was about 2 metres away, it just doesn't seem to be able to hold the connection once it gets busy.

This may not be the iPaq's problem, as the ThinkPad sometimes used to drop the connection as well. It just got worse after the firmware upgrade.

I suspect I need to reposition or update the access point.

daverph
10-30-2003, 06:14 AM
Flaky is a good description, sometimes it holds the connection, other times it won't, all from the same location. I'm using a DLink 614+, firmware 2.2, no WEP etc. It never did this before the latest HP rom updae.

ChristopherTD
11-07-2003, 10:57 AM
An update to this:

For an unrelated reason I had to do the "Pop out Battery, Soft-Reset 5 seconds, re-insert battery" trick.

Since I did that the WiFi has been extremely stable!

Maybe it needs to lose power completely to reset itself?