View Full Version : Uninstalled program still in New

terrypin
10-26-2003, 05:55 PM
Despite uninstalling Quicken after a brief trial a moint or so ago, it still appears in the New menu.

There's no entry in ActiveSync|Tools|Add/Remove Programs. Or in Remover|File|Installed Programs, or elsewhere in Remover (which up until now I'd regarded as 100% accurate). Resco Explorer's Find facility gets zero relevant hits on 'quick'.

But of course, it HAS to be in the registry, and Resco Registry Edit's Find duly located it at
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Windows CE Services\Synchronization\Objects\PocketQuicken] "Store"="\\Windows\\Devpqppcsync.dll" "Display Name"="Pocket Quicken"

I'm wondering how it eluded Remover. It may happen again sometime with other programs, so I'd like to be clear just why.

Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

WyattEarp
10-26-2003, 06:57 PM
It's just the way programs are sometimes designed. Many programs leave remnants of their installation on PPCs just like with Windows PCs while others remove themselves completely.

If you really want to remove everything (assuming you want to do the work and know how to) you should use File Explorer or any utility that will show all the files including hidden ones and look in the Windows, Windows\AppMgr and Program Files folders to start. You will also need to clean out the registry with a registry editor. Happy hunting.

terrypin
10-26-2003, 07:06 PM
Yeah, from my 3 months as a PPC user I had realised that the thoroughness of uninstallation spanned the familiar wide range. But as I mentioned, I was just surprised that Remover's 'Bad/Old uninstall info' and/or its 'Invalid registry entry' facilities didn't find it.

Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

WyattEarp
10-26-2003, 07:43 PM
Just another issue Microsoft will probably never fix. :(

darrylb
10-28-2003, 11:23 AM
The problem is that the CAB file structure is somewhat limited unless you do some reasonably serious hacking around. The Cab builder the comes with Visual Studio (at least the versions I've tried) are limited to placing files in the install dir, so any registry keys required the by app are often created by the app rather than the installer. When the installer uninstalls - it doesn't know about the registry keys created by the app and wont remove them.

<RANT>Why cant anyone make a simple AND powerful installer!!! :evil: :devilboy: </RANT>