View Full Version : What's up with PPC sites today?

Jeff Rutledge
10-26-2003, 05:26 AM
At any given time I've had problems accessing this site and the forums at PocketNow, PPC Passion and Brighthand.

Is it just me having this problem (still can't get PNow or Passion) or is there something bigger...more sinister happening here? :worried:

Janak Parekh
10-26-2003, 05:30 AM
Conspiracy theorism at its finest... :lol:

I'd say that your ISP is having issues. I've been hitting PPCT all day (well, except for the part where the Yankees were sucking) and haven't had any trouble.

--janak

Jeff Rutledge
10-26-2003, 05:38 AM
It was a very short timeframe that I couldn't hit this site. But it was at that time that I couldn't get BH either. I've had troubles with Now and Passion all day. Those two on their own wouldn't have peaked my interest, but all four made me think it may be the work of the Pentaverate. :mrgreen:

davidspalding
10-26-2003, 08:35 AM
At any given time I've had problems accessing this site and the forums at PocketNow, PPC Passion and Brighthand.

Is it just me having this problem (still can't get PNow or Passion) or is there something bigger...more sinister happening here? :worried:

There's been a huge solar "storm" the past 2 days, as a result of huge sun spot activity. Probably interfered with some of the communications or byte squirting that these sites, or your device, are dependent upon. ,)

Jeff Rutledge
10-26-2003, 05:15 PM
It's gotta my something wacky with my ISP. I couldn't hit the PocketInformant forums this morning...strange.

Oh well, I'm heading out of town for a week in a couple hours. Hopefully it's fixed by the time I get back.

maximus
10-27-2003, 01:52 AM
Anyone watched 'The Core' ? That might be the reason. Now, if you start seeing people dropping dead on the streets ...

Seriously, I have not been able to access PPCT, and some other forums for more than a week already. At first, I thought that the proxy server has blocked PPCT and those forums .... but now I believe that the core of the earth has stopped spinning.

Janak Parekh
10-27-2003, 02:05 AM
Seriously, I have not been able to access PPCT, and some other forums for more than a week already.
8O Ah, that explains your disappearance. I was wondering. I wonder if your boss turned it off? :lol:

--janak

maximus
10-27-2003, 02:19 AM
Ha ha. That is a scary thought, right ? No more information on the upcoming XDA 2, Dell X7, etc.

Weird thing is that I cannot access this site (and several other forums) from all 3 method of connections: from office (with leased line to singapore data center, which is directly on the sprint fiber optic to NY data center), from home (dial-up to local ISP), and from GPRS.

It must have anything to do with my worsening karma lately ...

JustinGTP
10-28-2003, 06:55 AM
So you dont have internet access at your house?

And yes, I wondered where you had gotten to, even I cared! :D

Janak Parekh
10-28-2003, 07:14 AM
Weird thing is that I cannot access this site (and several other forums) from all 3 method of connections: from office (with leased line to singapore data center, which is directly on the sprint fiber optic to NY data center), from home (dial-up to local ISP), and from GPRS.
Hmm. I wonder if there's a segmentation somewhere in the Internet backbone. If it persists, do a traceroute and let me know what you get.

--janak

maximus
10-28-2003, 08:06 AM
Hmm. I wonder if there's a segmentation somewhere in the Internet backbone. If it persists, do a traceroute and let me know what you get.

--janak

I think it is back to normal already. Lets hope it stays that way. :D

So you dont have internet access at your house?

Got an annoyingly slow 56K dial-up from home. Opening a post at PPCT took somewhere between 20-30 seconds. Doh. GPRS is still faster.

maximus
11-04-2003, 10:09 AM
Anyway, I just got cut out (again) from PPCT for 5 days. I almost think that one of you guys are trying to be funny. he heh. From office, traceroute is blocked by the proxy. It is strange strange, I cannot to PPCT, but ping works, I got responses from PPCT and 351 ms average is not bad, I think.

What makes it even more strange, I am inside a proxy, hence pinging an external server (like PPCT) should result in 'unable to resolve host'. In the reality, I got ping response from PPCT. Did I miss anything ?

Janak Parekh
11-04-2003, 04:36 PM
It really does sound like your proxy is the source of the trouble. It's possible the proxy only filters TCP/UDP packets and not ICMP packets; that would explain why http and Windows's traceroute (which is UDP) wouldn't work, while ping (which is ICMP) would.

--janak

maximus
11-05-2003, 02:15 AM
Great. Then there is nothing I can do about it. The proxy is managed by those folks in New York data center. I guess I Have to spend more on GPRS during those outage period. :D

ICMP ... the acronyms bring back the memory of the old IRC days ...

Janak Parekh
11-05-2003, 05:09 AM
ICMP ... the acronyms bring back the memory of the old IRC days ...
They are old acronyms, but still active. Jon Postel was a genius way beyond his time. Too bad he's no longer around. :cry:

--janak

maximus
11-05-2003, 05:51 AM
Ah yes. The father of internet, the founder of ARPANET and so many other internet regulating bodies. Yes, a big loss to the world. If I am not mistaken, he died in october 1998 from a heart attack or something ?

Janak Parekh
11-05-2003, 05:55 AM
I believe so. http://www.isoc.org/postel/nyt.shtml

--janak