View Full Version : iPaq turns on by itself?

tregnier
10-23-2003, 09:45 PM
My iPaq 3955 has been turning on by itself. It stays on a few seconds and then shuts off. I've seen this problem reported before on one of the forums here but looking for the answer in archives is like looking for a needle in a haystack without having one's magnet handy. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Jacob
10-23-2003, 09:49 PM
I know it's supposed to at around midnight.. but not sure what it would be if it happens at other times.

HailFire
10-23-2003, 10:01 PM
I have a 3870 and I've noticed the same problem, very bizarre. If anyone knows what causes this, please post.

Janak Parekh
10-23-2003, 10:03 PM
Go into ActiveSync on the Pocket PC, go to Tools => Options => Schedule, and uncheck everything (in particular the first one). That is the #1 cause of non-midnight wakeups on Pocket PC 2002.

--janak

DrtyBlvd
10-24-2003, 12:55 AM
My 55 has had the same problem, for two periods - both of which culminated in a hard reset and reinstall of apps to attempt to discriminate a 3rd party cause; the problem definately comes back when I have Wisbar installed (not the Pelmar version - the more recent one) although I doubt it is causing the problem, if you see what I mean.

Having reinstalled the Pelmar version, it doesn't happen... but having said that, there are of course one or two other apps that have been on there and are no longer - I don't pretend to understand this strange behaviour, but I have noticed that when it turns itself back on, the IBM MD spins up - and, as that is where everything is installed, it suggests that something is checking something - perhaps Wisbar, perhaps not.

Also, Weird behaviour relating to the expansion jacket - I have the MS/CF one and as stuff is stored on the GB MD, when I have occasion to soft reset, it throws a tantrum saying it can't find things; then it 'loads' the expansion pack, and sometimes things are fine, sometimes they are not, by which i mean apps work or require 'restarting' (PepeSoft's Cal+ is one)

I've given up trying to narrow it down any further as it appears to have stopped happening since the most recent hard reset, and I'm happy with the current set up I have - if it starts again in future, not sure how I'll proceed to be honest.

Wasn't aware of the AS/Options change that Janak mentions - FWIW, mine are checked, and in the MS tab both are selected as 'Manually' - I haven't changed this at all at any stage, draw what conclusion you may from this. (PPC2003 remember, not 02)

Good luck solving your prob - glad I appear to have done so as it was driving me nutz.

Thinkingmandavid
10-24-2003, 01:37 AM
I remember a few months ago there was a thread about this. You could search for it but I dont know what good it would now. i guess theidea of reading. my toshiba only goes off when i command it to:)haha

Janak Parekh
10-24-2003, 02:16 AM
Wasn't aware of the AS/Options change that Janak mentions - FWIW, mine are checked, and in the MS tab both are selected as 'Manually' - I haven't changed this at all at any stage, draw what conclusion you may from this. (PPC2003 remember, not 02)
2003 may or may not have the same issue as 2002, which most definitely turns on, usually a few minutes after undocking. I don't have enough experience with a 2003 device to tell.

--janak

ctmagnus
10-24-2003, 02:53 AM
My experience with the unit turning on with Windows mobile 2003:

When I had Pocket Backup scheduled to do a daily backup at 11:45 PM, the unit would indeed turn on at midnight even though it had usually been off for over 10 minutes at that point. But when I moved the scheduled time up to 11:00 PM, it stopped turning itself on.

:confused totally:

Edit: Now it doesn't turn on at 11:00 PM anymore; the backup kicks in the first time I turn it on after 11:00 PM. But it manages to stay off at midnight. ;)

DimensionZero
10-24-2003, 09:20 PM
My 2210 did the same thing... ish....

Whenever it was docked, it would automagically turn on... Not at a set time (at least i don't think...)

My solution, in ActiveSync:
Tools > Options > Schedule > Server Schedule (Set to manual)

After that, it seemed to do the trick.

mbis
10-27-2003, 11:33 PM
Hi,

I am the proud owner of a 2210 (ppc 2003) for a few weeks now and I exerienced the same problem. The first time my battery was almost drained because the unit had been switched on for a night. I cold booted the device and reinstalled everything.
A week later the same problem again. It seemed that it was switching on searching for a network connection because I got a network dialog. It appeared about every 20 minutes. I didn't like the idea of reinstallign and re-syncing all over agian. I tried to remove software and after a while I found out that this strange behaviour ended when I deleted the files in windows\activesync. One of them was locked, so I left that one alone. The other two I just deleted and presto: the unit did not switch on anymore! Sync went fine and the files I deleted are somehow restored again.

I don't know if it helps but you may give it a try (after making a backup!).

Max