View Full Version : 3600 battery drain?

ctmagnus
10-23-2003, 07:28 PM
Anyone still using a 3600 series iPaq notice considerable battery drain? If I leave mine off of AC overnight the battery dips to about 60% even though the unit is not used during that time.

Mike Temporale
10-23-2003, 07:45 PM
I'm still using a 3650 and my battery will drain overnight, however it's not as bad as yours. Usually it will be around 80%, but by the time I get to work it's down to abuot 50% Of course this depends on how much I use it on the train ride.

I usually charge it once or twice during the day, and then again breifly at night.

Doug Rausch
10-23-2003, 09:30 PM
I've got a 3635 that I'm still using and I haven't noticed much of a drain overnight. This may be due to the fact that when I bought the system it must have been sitting in the warehouse for a while and the battery wouldn't even take a charge. Quick trip to Compaq got me a new fresh battery.

Age does take a toll on these batteries. If you're attached to the system you can get a new battery from PocketPCTechs. They have the original 1000 mAH as well as 2000 mAH kits available. You may want to check them out: http://www.pocketpctechs.com/pgf.asp

ctmagnus
10-24-2003, 06:32 PM
Going through Jason's battery life spreadsheet (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11896&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=benchmark+battery+3650&start=0), it appears that my battery life isn't too bad, as Spb Pocket Plus generally estimates a bit over two hours from the factory battery with no expansion pack. It just seems to be much less than it used to be. But playing with my 5550 may factor into that as well. Still, the overnight drain seriously concerns me, but then with this unit I can afford to make a backup a week and not have to worry about data loss.

Jeff Rutledge
10-25-2003, 05:07 AM
I gave my old 3635 to a co-worker on a sort of perma-loan. If I recall what she told me correctly, she can't get through the subway ride home without losing half the power.

It's too bad. It still works great otherwise.

mplough
10-26-2003, 12:18 AM
The battery meter on the 3600 is probably correct. The problem is your battery. If it's a 2 year old battery you can bet it's discharging rapidly.
Pocket PC techs can upgrade your battery as well as remove and dust from the LCD and replace broken latches as stated above, they do a VERY good job

creed
10-27-2003, 03:19 PM
I have a 3650 that I was having the same problem, loosing battery quickly so I replaced the battery and now can not get the battery to charge. As long as I have it pluged in I can access the info. but the light is flashing and seems to be charging. When I disconnect the charger it dies. What can I do to check for the next fix?
Charles

Doug Rausch
10-28-2003, 01:50 AM
It sounds like you got a bad battery - how sure are you of the source?

creed
10-28-2003, 01:12 PM
I have taken it apart again and think the connector was not seated well. It seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks for the response. Charles

Perk
10-29-2003, 07:44 PM
I use to have this series and my battery also went through the same problem.

I found all I needed on ebay. There's someone who sells CDROMS with detailed instructions on how to repair/upgrade the 3600 series for about $5.00 Also it seems like there's always someone selling replacement batteries there as well. Mine was about $22.00 plus shipping.

The repair only takes about 15 minutes if well prepaired.

Sears sells the security tool to open the unit, $3.00

Good luck if you try it.

cpoole
10-29-2003, 09:11 PM
I have a 3670. My battery life was getter quite poor & I had it replaced under my extended warrantee. It was a big difference. I now use the CF/battery expansion pack... it makes for a pretty bulky package but great battery life. I can sometime go the whole weekend without a recharge... depending on how much reading I do.

ctmagnus
10-30-2003, 03:14 AM
I have a 3670. My battery life was getter quite poor & I had it replaced under my extended warrantee.

I have the extended warranty also, but I thought batteries weren't covered by it. :confused totally:

At least, that's what my warranty statement says. Or is yours a store warranty? Mine's a CarePaq.