View Full Version : BEST recording app -- NoteM !!

retrogamer
10-23-2003, 10:23 AM
I have tried just about all the recording softwares for pocket pc on the market. Protone, Resco's audio recording, Vito's sound explorer. and NoteM

NoteM in my opinion is at least 1 order of magnitude better! It is small in size with no fancy UI displays(most likely you will be push assigned buttons to record and stop record instead of touch on the screen),

The most important thing I think is the sound quality after MP3 compression. From my tests, NoteM's recorded sound quality after MP3 compressed is MUST better than the other products.

Also, NoteM's code seems to be more optimized, since I can record using noteM with MP3 compression on my 3850 to internal memory with NO SKIPs. However, Resco's Audio recorder, vito's sound recorder all have delays.. When recording noteM directly to SD card on 3850, there are some skips/delay/repeats but still much better than if used resco or vito's recorders.

anyway, NoteM is just awesome. I use it to record my class lectures. I can get quiet good sound. One tip for recording in these environment is to turn off the Auto MIC Gain, set a fixed gain instead.

I do have a problem however, and I would like to find out how to contact the author to resolve the problem. The problem is, after upgrading my 3850 to WM2003, and downloaded the new ver2003 NoteM, the power-off disable feature is not working in noteM. So I had to manually disable power-off everytime before starting to use NoteM.

The email address [email protected] is not a valid address. anyone here know how to reach the author?

oh. btw, NoteM is freeware!

Lex
10-23-2003, 11:34 AM
I think it's strange the NoteM developer posts no valid email. The links to the User's Guides don't work on his website due to being over his bandwith.

I wrote a brief review comment on these issues similar to the above, that freewareppc.com chose not to post.

But, I have NoteM onboard my 3845 and it works fine with the exception that sometimes when I push the record button it doesn't record. I have to look at the screen to be sure it's recording.

spursdude
10-24-2003, 02:05 AM
The developer's site is http://www.geocities.com/zavorine/wince/mp3.htm. SO you could try e-mailing [email protected].

Lex
10-24-2003, 03:06 AM
1) That link doesn't work and

2) How do you know that's a correct email for this developer? It'd be great if so but how do we know since no email address is posted at the developer's site nor with freewareppc.com where the software is offered.

JustinGTP
10-24-2003, 03:33 AM
Its a mystery my friends. I guess well have to wait because it looks interesting. Maybe hell fix his site eventually! :D

Thinkingmandavid
10-24-2003, 03:52 AM
first of all how has he been able to go this long without his site being updated?
secondly, how can we trust his software if he cant be reached? so does he just 'release' upgrades when he feels like it or what? i havent used his stuff so i amjust wondering. are you able to get this software from handango? and if so, wouldnt they have a way of contacting him about his software? i would assume they would be able to have contact with developers and the such if they sell the software but I could be wrong.

you use your ipaq to record every college class? The reason I ask is because I am in grad school but I didnt think it would work out to well doing that. seems to meit would use to much memory. Are you just recording each class, and then recording over that recording the next class? I am planning on buying a keyboard for myppc to type notes, but if this works better, seems to me i would save money adn the hassle?;)

JustinGTP
10-24-2003, 04:23 AM
first of all how has he been able to go this long without his site being updated?
secondly, how can we trust his software if he cant be reached? so does he just 'release' upgrades when he feels like it or what? i havent used his stuff so i amjust wondering. are you able to get this software from handango? and if so, wouldnt they have a way of contacting him about his software? i would assume they would be able to have contact with developers and the such if they sell the software but I could be wrong.

you use your ipaq to record every college class? The reason I ask is because I am in grad school but I didnt think it would work out to well doing that. seems to meit would use to much memory. Are you just recording each class, and then recording over that recording the next class? I am planning on buying a keyboard for myppc to type notes, but if this works better, seems to me i would save money adn the hassle?;)

Interesting idea, plus what if your PPC cannot hear the professor/teacher? Also, the keyboard is SUCH as good investment, I know, I have one for my 2215. I love it to death! :twisted: It helps me in class so much, you would not believe!

-Justin.

spursdude
10-24-2003, 04:47 AM
1) That link doesn't work and

2) How do you know that's a correct email for this developer? It'd be great if so but how do we know since no email address is posted at the developer's site nor with freewareppc.com where the software is offered.
1. Weird - that link doesn't work. BUT go to Google and search "notem" and click the first link. That link works for me, even though it's the exact same link as the one above which doesn't work. Geocities always confuses me.

2. If you have a Geocities account, that means you have a Yahoo email account with the same username. I don't know that the developer actually uses the address, but it's worth a shot, as at least it should exist.

Thinkingmandavid
10-24-2003, 04:53 AM
in theory it works by the way it sounds to me. \
that is true, wouldnt do me any good if i couldnt hear anything, well iguess it is back to the keyboard. i still wanted to get it, for working on papers at other places besides the class room.

Lex
10-24-2003, 11:07 AM
This link goes to Zavorine's site: http://www.geocities.com/zavorine

I sent an email to [email protected] and it didn't bounce. I asked if he's willing to do tech support via that address. I'll post here if I get a reply.

Lex
10-24-2003, 07:13 PM
OK, [email protected] works.

Tip: Don't ask for the source code or the app itself. It's posted at www.freewareppc.com.

I didn't but so many did he took his e.m. link down.

There's a good help file within the app. Go 'Start', 'Help', 'NoteM'.

retrogamer
10-25-2003, 11:09 AM

yeah. I only record one of my classes. a 1.5 hour class takes 7-10 MB of space. I record it to main memory and then either dump it to the SD storage card, or copy it to my home computer

it can be even smaller, I selected the mp3 compression ratio around 2kb/sec ? at this rate, NoteM produces the best sound quality, others aren't so good.

Thinkingmandavid
10-26-2003, 01:45 AM
oh i see. mmm, i didnt think the voice recorder would be able topick up that well what was going on in class, interesting.
I am not sure what to do. but justin is right, maybe the ppc would not pick up the instructor clearly enough..mmmmm
I almost bought a wireless keyboard for my toshiba 355, but the keys were stikcing so I am waiting. I want to you use that at taking notes. But I dont want to spend a lot of money in the process neighter.

retrogamer
10-26-2003, 05:04 AM
The sound quality from class recording is really just acceptable. It is not great. I listen to it using home computer or using pocket pc but adjusted the equalizer in order to reduce the amount of noise.

our classroom is very small, just three rows of chairs. so, I can get good sound about anywhere in the room. if in a large classroom, well. you might have to ask the professor to put the recorder on her/his table, not sure if every professor is happy about that.

I have a ipaq3835, perhaps the mic is a little better than others, give it's designed supposed to work with IBM via voice.

btw, I contacted the author of NoteM. he said he will look into the ipaq 3850 disabling power-off issue

Thinkingmandavid
10-26-2003, 05:07 AM
It is good he is doing that. mmm, is he going to improve upon it? I havent tested it myself but I am just wondering how often he upgrades that software. One thing for certain, as a developer I am certain it is very competitive in some areas of use.

Lex
10-26-2003, 09:31 PM
The developer told me by e.m. that no updates are planned.

I guess "it is what it is and does what it does."

But... 'tis free.

Paul
11-11-2003, 05:30 PM
Disable Automatic Power Off doesn't work on my 2210 either.
For now the workaround is to prevent the device from powering off automatically. Man if only this little bug could be fixed.

I record lectures with it as well. Run it through a desktop program to remove noise and the end result is pretty nice.

danielzr
11-12-2003, 02:50 AM
I've tried using NoteM a few times, but things repeat... almost like a skip in a record. Any ideas?

retrogamer
11-15-2003, 01:50 PM
I've tried using NoteM a few times, but things repeat... almost like a skip in a record. Any ideas?

I get that if I record directly to SD card on a Ipaq 3835. So I record directly to memory instead. no problem this way.