View Full Version : Tripod Data System Announces Rugged Pocket PC 2003

Andy Sjostrom
10-23-2003, 09:44 AM
Janak reported already back in February about <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8659">"TDS Recon: Ruggedized CE .Net device"</a>. The first reply to Janak's post was made by "JMountford" who wrote: "I had heard of the Recon before. Looks like a sturdy device. It would be nice if it ran PPC instead of CE 4 simply to make it more compatiple with current peripherals, but it is still a neet looking device and I like the screen shots."<br /><br />Well, JMountford, here you go:<br />TDS <a href="http://www.tdsway.com/?Sec1=newsroom&Sec2=pressreleases&Sec3=year2003&Sec4=24 ">recently announced</a> their newest rugged handheld computer -- the TDS Recon with Mobile Windows 2003 for Pocket PCs operating system. In short, this new PDA is "military-standards rugged". This Pocket PC comes with a 200- or 400-MHz Intel XScale processor, 64 MB of SDRAM and up to 128 MB of Flash ROM, two CompactFlash slots, plus a standard 9-pin serial port and a high-speed USB port for connecting to a PC. The standard PowerBoot ModuleTM features a 15-hour rechargeable NiMH battery. Read on for the entire press release!<br /><!><br />"Tripod Data Systems Introduces the Recon Rugged Handheld Computer Running Windows Mobile 2003 Software for Pocket PCs<br /><br />Corvallis, Ore.—October 7, 2003—Tripod Data Systems (TDS), a wholly owned subsidiary of Trimble (NASDAQ:TRMB), today introduced its new TDS ReconTM rugged handheld computer that runs Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 software for Pocket PCs.<br /><br />TDS is launching the new Recon at AUSA, the largest military trade show in the world. The new Recon will also be exhibited at the Pocket PC Summit 2003 in Las Vegas, Oct. 20-23.<br /><br />The addition of Windows Mobile software to the Recon brings the most popular handheld applications to users working in extreme temperatures, driving rain, dusty job sites and other harsh environments.<br /><br />"We've had a large number of customers ask for Windows Mobile software since we introduced the Recon," said TDS president Dave Scribner. "Windows Mobile 2003 software for Pocket PCs is the most popular operating system for handheld computing, so adding it to the Recon gives our users field access to the applications they use most."<br /><br />"Mobile professionals who work in harsh environments have been requesting small computing devices that are tough, allowing them to stay wirelessly connected during their entire work day," said Doug Dedo, marketing manager for the Mobile Devices Division at Microsoft Corp. "The new TDS Recon Pocket PC using Windows Mobile 2003 software for Pocket PCs provides these workers a platform on which to conduct their business."<br /><br />The Recon is designed for all-day operation in extreme outdoor and industrial environments. It exceeds the MIL-STD-810F military standard for drops, vibration and temperature extremes. It also comes with an IP67 rating, meaning it's impenetrable to water immersion and dust.<br /><br />The Recon's rugged construction makes it ideal for land surveying, mapping, civil engineering and construction, forestry, utility, facilities and asset management, machine control, law enforcement and military applications. It weighs just 17 ounces, and its rounded edges provide a comfortable grip. Large, widely spaced buttons are easy to use, and its reflective color TFT display is bright and clear in sunlight.<br /><br />The Recon comes with a 200- or 400-MHz Intel XScale processor, 64 MB of SDRAM and up to 128 MB of internal nonvolatile Flash storage. It also features two CompactFlash slots, plus a standard 9-pin serial port and a high-speed USB port for connecting to a PC. The standard PowerBoot ModuleTM features a 15-hour rechargeable NiMH battery.<br /><br />About Tripod Data Systems<br /><br />Tripod Data Systems (TDS) designs and manufactures rugged Windows CE handheld computers specifically designed for extreme outdoor and industrial environments in the land surveying, mapping, forestry, utility, machine control, public safety and military markets. The rugged TDS RangerTM handheld computer was the first Windows CE device to meet military specifications for drop, vibration, immersion, and both high and low temperature operation.<br /><br />TDS is a wholly owned subsidiary of Trimble. The company is headquartered in Corvallis, Ore., and was founded in 1987. For more information about TDS, visit <a href="www.tdsway.com/handhelds">www.tdsway.com/handhelds</a>, e-mail [email protected] or call 541-752-9000.<br /><br /># # #<br /><br />Tripod Data Systems, Recon, Ranger and PowerBoot Module are trademarks of Tripod Data Systems. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners."

MaximumPDA
10-24-2003, 06:34 AM
I just got this device in the lab a couple of days ago. Its very cool. I hope to have a detailed review in a few weeks. This thing has a ton of ram and its well built.

I'll keep you posted.

Bill

Jonathon Watkins
10-30-2003, 01:11 AM
..... and its well built.

8O I would hope so! :lol:

Looking forward to your review. I may well be working with some of these myself soon.