View Full Version : Screen Capture

GreenBoy2
10-23-2003, 08:24 AM
Hi

Can any one recomend a peice of software to capture a shot of the entire screen on my h2210 ?

Was trying to describe a process to my wife over the phone but would have been easire to capture the screen and emailed it to her.

eg click this button (image)

click that button (image) etc.

Many thanks.

GreenBoy

Itanium
10-23-2003, 08:53 AM
As you wrote, you have got iPAQ, so you can use the capture or 'delay capture' feature in the iTask. No need to buy anything.

You can go to Start->Settings, System tab and open iTask Settings. in there choose a "Menu Item" that is unassigned and "Replace with" Internal->Delayed Capture.

Then later you can use this from the iTask launch menu.

darrylb
10-23-2003, 09:42 AM
I like GetPDAScreen from NewMad Technologies ('http://www.newmad.se/software.asp') It is simple and works well.

Forgot to mention - it's also free!

TopDog
10-23-2003, 09:47 AM
MagicSS is free and very good:
http://www.louterrailloune.com/magicss.html

GreenBoy2
10-23-2003, 07:08 PM
Thank you one and all

I shall give them a go.

GreenBoy :lol:

qmrq
10-27-2003, 09:46 AM
Go with winampaq

TopDog
10-27-2003, 03:11 PM
Go with winampaq
Isn't that just a media player? Does it take screenshots also?

qmrq
10-27-2003, 03:16 PM
:oops: Wrong thread. Screen capture, eh? "Pocket Screen Capture" is nice - but this is iPAQ, yes? All iPAQs have built-in screen capture program.. Itanium was right on. :)

dMores
10-27-2003, 04:36 PM
try getpdascreen.exe

download here:
http://www.newmad.se/Software/GetPDAScreen.exe

(needs AS-connection, though)

chasmanor
10-28-2003, 07:01 PM
As you wrote, you have got iPAQ, so you can use the capture or 'delay capture' feature in the iTask. No need to buy anything.

You can go to Start->Settings, System tab and open iTask Settings. in there choose a "Menu Item" that is unassigned and "Replace with" Internal->Delayed Capture.

Then later you can use this from the iTask launch menu.

How do you find the picture/capture?

qmrq
10-28-2003, 07:05 PM
How do you find the picture/capture?
\temp\

chasmanor
10-28-2003, 07:37 PM
/temp/???
Can you expand on this, please?

qmrq
10-28-2003, 07:40 PM
I can't expand much more. Open a file explorer, and browse to \temp\ on your device. Pictures available if this is not detailed enough. :)

chasmanor
10-28-2003, 07:41 PM
My pictures were under "My Device". Sorry to bother you.

qmrq
10-28-2003, 07:45 PM
No bother at all. :) What exactly did you use to capture them? All the programs I've toyed with put them in the temp dir.

chasmanor
10-28-2003, 07:50 PM
I did just like you said

"You can go to Start->Settings, System tab and open iTask Settings. in there choose a "Menu Item" that is unassigned and "Replace with" Internal->Delayed Capture."

Then I pressed iTask, the arrow, and Delay Capture.

Are my settings wrong, do you think?

qmrq
10-28-2003, 07:59 PM
Nope, that's exactly what you should do if you wanna use the internal screen grab program. I just tried it and it went into the root dir of the device :oops: I thought they went in \temp\.

To everyone who mentioned other screen grab programs .. do any of these have PNG support? I haven't been able to find one that does. :\

darrylb
10-29-2003, 06:23 AM
Get PDA screen will capture to .BMP, however, if you have WinXP mspaint.exe will convert .BMP to .PNG. Previous versions wont of course...

JustinGTP
10-29-2003, 06:27 AM
I use the iTASK feature on my iPAQ, it is amazing feature, I am always using it. I use screen captures and it put it into the "My Device" and saves them as .bmps. Then you can open up Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Photodraw, or whatever you have, and then save as and then to JPEG. That is how I got all of my screen captures on my download page on my website ( http://www.ppcc.vze.com )

-Justin.

qmrq
10-29-2003, 04:04 PM
Get PDA screen will capture to .BMP, however, if you have WinXP mspaint.exe will convert .BMP to .PNG. Previous versions wont of course...
I don't use XP, but I have no trouble converting images between formats on my desktop, I assure you. ;) The main thing is the storage space on the device. Bitmaps are uncompressed, and can take up tons of space if I'm writing a review or documentation or such. (At least they take up lotsa space on my 32mbyte device :cry:)

qmrq
10-29-2003, 04:07 PM
I use the iTASK feature on my iPAQ, it is amazing feature, I am always using it. I use screen captures and it put it into the "My Device" and saves them as .bmps. Then you can open up Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Photodraw, or whatever you have, and then save as and then to JPEG. That is how I got all of my screen captures on my download page on my website ( http://www.ppcc.vze.com )
You need to be using PNG for this;) - jpeg is made for lossy compression of images with thousands of colors and natural shapes. This makes it terrible for screenshots, which typically have large expanses of only a few colors. There might be a few exceptions where you want to use jpeg, screenshots of games or such, but PNG is usually the best way to go.

JustinGTP
10-29-2003, 04:48 PM
It is? Well, I could always save as a .png file in Photoshop - Ahh, I love Photoshop :D

-Justin.

qmrq
10-29-2003, 04:50 PM
It is? Well, I could always save as a .png file in Photoshop - Ahh, I love Photoshop :D
You could, Photoshop isn't particularly fast to start up though.. Try XnView (http://www.xnview.com/), a very powerful image viewer and manipulator with tons of features. I love it.

JustinGTP
10-29-2003, 04:52 PM
Well, PS runs fast on my PC and since I have it and it cost a lot of money, why get something else?

qmrq
10-29-2003, 04:56 PM
Why? Because it is way better than Photoshop at many tasks, and is totally free for personal use. Your argument is kinda like saying 'well, I have mspaint.exe and it cost a lot of money, why get something else'. ;)

JustinGTP
10-29-2003, 05:01 PM
We have Photoshop for all of the editing and converting and it works for me. I am not saything that because it cost a lot of money that that is why I am not getting anything else, its the fact that I have it and dont want to have more than one program for the same thing. You must understand my point! Also you know that mspaint is useless.

I have my way of converting files and you have yours!

End of Line.

-Justin.

qmrq
10-29-2003, 05:02 PM
How long does it take PS to start on your computer, eh? :p

JustinGTP
10-29-2003, 05:07 PM
http://forums.evolutionm.net/images/smilies/waglleybooty.gif

qmrq
10-29-2003, 05:18 PM
Right, that makes lotsa sense. :)

Kati Compton
10-29-2003, 05:37 PM
I think that's enough arguing about Photoshop.

JustinGTP
10-29-2003, 05:39 PM
Yeah, lets post up your work or something productive. I ll post up more when I get home!

Steven Cedrone
10-29-2003, 05:54 PM
Yeah, lets post up your work or something productive. I ll post up more when I get home!

Start a new thread (or add it to your "Photochopping" thread)...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

JustinGTP
10-29-2003, 06:26 PM

Start a new thread (or add it to your "Photochopping" thread)...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

You`re right, Im getting mixed up in the threads! I meant to say that in the Photochopping thread, silly me.

Sorry guys.

But yes, iPAQ has the iTASK, no adding any more software, just simple easy to use and it even is free and saves the file as good as any other program :)

-Justin.

darrylb
10-30-2003, 08:20 AM
I don't use XP, but I have no trouble converting images between formats on my desktop, I assure you. ;) The main thing is the storage space on the device. Bitmaps are uncompressed, and can take up tons of space if I'm writing a review or documentation or such. (At least they take up lotsa space on my 32mbyte device :cry:)

The good thing about GetPDAScreen is that it needs the device to be connected via ActiveSync, then it takes the shot and stores it on your PC - not the Pocket PC. Therefore no space required.

It does install a client, but there is a tick box to remove the client when the app is closed, so this is no problem.

qmrq
10-30-2003, 08:49 AM
Ooh, I will check that out then. I will have to be on windows, but that will still be very useful. Thanks. :)

Thox
10-31-2003, 03:28 PM
:oops: Wrong thread. Screen capture, eh? "Pocket Screen Capture" is nice - but this is iPAQ, yes? All iPAQs have built-in screen capture program.. Itanium was right on. :)

really? not on my iPAQ 1910 (pocket pc 2002). i use magicss

Tom W.M.
11-02-2003, 02:12 AM
Not to bring back the whole Photoshop discussion, but Photoshop is famous for creating broken PNG files. I like to use The GIMP for creating PNGs myself.

If you want to create PNG screenshots on your PPC, I suggest converting them with UltraG (http://masataka.mailbbs.com/ug/en/). More effects plugins can be found here (http://www.imasy.or.jp/~hra/program/UGPEffect.htm).

qmrq
11-02-2003, 02:29 PM
Wow that looks nifty. 8O About Photoshop and PNG, I seem to recall reading something about bad support for it on the PNG website. Kinda sad since it's a high-end product used by many people.