View Full Version : Trying to break my 1945 without doing physcal damage

altimit
10-23-2003, 01:45 AM
I am trying to kill my 1945 without doing physcal damage. I need some ideas on how to do it. My wife said i could buy a new one if my current one "broke". I was thinking about flashing the ROM but have no idea how to do it. Help! 8O

shill79
10-23-2003, 03:33 AM
That's pathetic...

Thinkingmandavid
10-23-2003, 04:21 AM
Dude are you serious 8O
mmm, well if that is the case then power surge would be easiest way to go :wink:
but your wife is going to be :devilboy:

dean_shan
10-23-2003, 04:35 AM
What is wrong with the one you have now?

Dave Beauvais
10-23-2003, 04:44 AM
You could dontate it to someone here at Pocket PC Thoughts and tell her it was stolen. :) I've gotta go with Dean on this one, though... what's wrong with your 1945?

--Dave

Godsongz
10-23-2003, 06:06 AM
The 1945s haven't even been out that long, if it "broke" it would still be easily replaceable under warranty. Be happy with what you've got for a while. Come on... if your wife breaks, will your PPC let you get a new one?

Crazie.Eddie
10-24-2003, 05:58 AM
How about just place tape over the battery terminals. Tada...it won't turn on ;) Then when you get your replacement PPC, you can sell your old one or give it to me that came up with this idea :D

Mitchybums
10-24-2003, 04:29 PM
If you use bluetooth, there is an easy way to get that taken care off.
Just do a backup to the Compaq file store, and when it's done, do a reset as sugested.
If that fails, Do it while performing the backup.
I had this happen once on a 1945.
I killed another one in sort of the same way when I had a PocketScumm game on the filestore (indy3) and I didnt had all the files on it, and Scumm crashed when I wanted to play it. Scumm had a nice box open where I could type and stuff, but I could only get out by a soft reset.
Again, when it started up, the bluetooth was gone.
ENTIRELY !.
No fix unless you flash the original rom back.

Took a tosh 355 back to bestbuy due to not easy to network, got a 1945 with the bluetooth build in, worked fine with bluetooth usb adapter on pc, untill I decided to do a backup. Messed the bluetooth up, and went back and bestbuy got me a new one. After a week, the scumm issue happened, and went back again. got an openbox 2215, and this one started right away with bluetooth issues. Finaly got a new 2215, and this seems to be working ok. (But kinda sick of bluetooth, and going for wireless as soon as I have the $120 saved up for a cf wifi + wifi router)

If you want to do more damage, look in to familiar linux.
Try putting that on it. or browse on the site to see how to flash and stuff.
Hope this helps you.

JustinGTP
10-24-2003, 06:37 PM
Thats is kind of silly, unless you can afford to break it, but why wouldnt you go back to the store and use it as a trade in value, or return it, get your money back and buy a new one. This is ridiculous, just talk to your wife about it - if she every finds this post in your History, man you are so screwed!

-Justin.

buckyg
10-25-2003, 03:43 AM
Wow, already bored with the "old" 1945???? It took quite awhile to convince my wife that I should upgrade. Actually, I convinced her to upgrade hers, so she took mine, I got the new one. She would kill me if I ask again anytime in the next year....

thinkingmandavid's comment about a power surge reminds me of what one of my friends did. He was talking to another friend over the phone about trying to convince his wife he needed a new PC. We'd just had some bad thunderstorms roll through. The other friend suggested that maybe lightning had blown out his PC. CLICK... RING... My first friend called him back from his cell phone on his way to the local PC store.

Part of me still chuckles about it, but I'd never try such a thing. Couldn't bring myself to trash a perfectly old PPC that still was under a replacement warranty at a local store so I could upgrade. But that's just me...

mplough
10-26-2003, 01:29 AM
You could beat her in the head with it! The 19XX case is much tougher than the human skull....just kidding. eBay it, pocket the profit and say it fell into a storm drain while you were being mugged by elves.

altimit
10-27-2003, 03:37 AM
I havent tried the power surge thing but i may try the reset during backup.

Crazie.Eddie
10-27-2003, 04:01 AM
I still think you should place tape over the battery terminals. Preferably on the actually battery itself. Cut a small piece of transparent tape over the contacts, so that way if have to show her by taking the battery out and placing it again, she won't be able to see the tape. With the tape on the battery contacts, it will never power up. Then when you get a newer Ipaq, just sell your old one on Ebay.

JohnJohn
10-27-2003, 04:48 AM
Remove the battery, put clear nail polish on the four battery terminals. It will power on while in the cradle, but hard reset when removed.

Remember this is insurance fraud. At least a 1945 is under $500...not a felony. Use eBay! :?

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read the original message, just the subject. This would be considered “Wife Fraud”, nothing wrong with that. :D I thought you were trying to TAP it out at a store. Sorry. Yes, Yes I am a hypocrite. :D

Thinkingmandavid
10-27-2003, 05:03 AM
All of this over 19xx, :roll:
Well, I would like to know what ends up happening to it and see how your wife responds :wink: hehe, we may not get to hear from you a while if your wife finds out what you are up to dude :mrgreen:
then you will get the 0X