View Full Version : Pop-up prevention software

robclif4d
10-22-2003, 07:20 PM
Any recommendations to effective pop-up stopper software? Thanks.

Rob

Kevin Remhof
10-22-2003, 07:30 PM
For the Pocket PC, I'm not sure...

For the PC though, there are two great and free choices. If you're an IE user (and want to stick with it), get the Google Toolbar (http://toolbar.google.com/). It will block popups for you. You can override it if you want to.

But, I think the better choice is to grab the latest version of Mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org) or MozillaFirebird (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/). Both are nice browsers and have excellent pop-up killing abilities. You can even have a "white list" of sites to allow pop-ups from.

dean_shan
10-22-2003, 08:11 PM
You can also use Avant Browser. It blockes pop-ups and enables tabbed browsing. It runs off the IE engine.

dean_shan
10-22-2003, 08:13 PM
For the Pocket PC, I'm not sure...
There are no pop-ups if you use PIE.

robclif4d
10-22-2003, 08:15 PM
MozillaFirebird works like a champ. Thanks for the input.

Janak Parekh
10-23-2003, 12:06 AM
Agreed on Firebird; that's my main browser.

For the few times when I need to use IE, I use Google toolbar (http://toolbar.google.com), with built-in popup blocking. Works great, very easy UI, and it's free.

--janak

JustinGTP
10-23-2003, 12:13 AM
Google is excellent. I found it a tad slow though, especially on our t1 line. So I took it off, but it did work, and it tells you when it blocked a popup!Thats a nice feature. And you can allow sites etc.

-Justin.

Janak Parekh
10-23-2003, 12:29 AM
Google toolbar... slow? I don't get it. It doesn't affect your connection speed. :|

--janak

JustinGTP
10-23-2003, 01:22 AM
When google stopped the popups the page took longer to actually load.

Bob12
10-23-2003, 03:38 AM
Pop Up Stopper from panicware.com is also good.

spursdude
10-23-2003, 04:43 AM
You can also use Avant Browser. It blockes pop-ups and enables tabbed browsing. It runs off the IE engine.
Here's another vote for Avant... I love it.

xoiph
10-23-2003, 05:02 AM
I'm using PopUp Stopper Free Edition from Panicware as well and I haven't had a popup since I installed it :mrgreen:

Kaber
10-23-2003, 05:19 AM
I'm in love with Google toolbar and have been since it was first released. I use Google so much and read Google News every day so it is great for me. When they added popup blocking I was like "This goes on every computer I can put it on."

Thinkingmandavid
10-23-2003, 05:43 AM
I have thought about trying the google toolbar, but I was told it used a lot of ram, so I figured why bother. Obviously the search engine is the bomb, which is why in the beginning I was going to install it. I have dsl, if his T1 slows down because of google toolbar then what would happen to my dsl connection speed?

robclif4d
10-23-2003, 05:53 AM
I haven't had a slow down using DSL.

Kaber
10-23-2003, 08:46 AM
I don't get any slowdowns or lockups because of it.

sylvangale
10-26-2003, 07:20 AM
Avant Browser is WONDERFUL!!! It makes IE so so so much more pleasant to use.

Though I think Mozilla Firebird has a more intelligent tab system (for pr0n :wink: )

davidspalding
10-26-2003, 07:30 AM
another good alternative is Popup Manager from www.endpopups.com. Very small app, very big and effective action. Allows site-by-site customization, too. i liked it so much i gave the guy some paypal dinero.

qmrq
10-27-2003, 08:54 AM
I have a recommendation - GET A REAL BROWSER, blech. :p Try Mozilla, Phoenix, or Opera if you want a windows program.

sylvangale
10-27-2003, 02:54 PM
Internet Explorer is a real browser and with a front-end like Avant-browser it is far more functional than Mozilla or Opera. Mozilla Firebird was my primary browser until I discovered Avant, but now I only use Firebird for special sites in which it's tab function is necessary for a gamut of open windows (pr0n :mrgreen:).

Tab system difference:
Avant browser uses an "intelligent" system in which when you close a tab the browser goes to the previous tab opened, which is not necessarily the tab to the left that was opened, while in Firebird the browser just goes to whatever the next tab to the right is.

Avants systems works best for general browsing, but for pr0n in which you may have one screen in which you may open 30 others (:wink:), firebird's method of going to the next tab to the right automatically makes surfing better for those who spend most of their time online at such sites.

Avant browser also has incredible control over what you can block. You not only have the option to block popups but also all pictures, sounds, flash, java apps, and or activex on the fly if necessary.

Also the automatic clearing of records is very customized and works quite well for those who are afraid of forgetting to clear records of sites they visited in case and don't want to get caught clearing records if someone wants to use their comp really quick.

Jacob
10-27-2003, 04:39 PM
Tab system difference:
Avant browser uses an "intelligent" system in which when you close a tab the browser goes to the previous tab opened, which is not necessarily the tab to the left that was opened, while in Firebird the browser just goes to whatever the next tab to the right is.

With a simple extension installed and 4 mouse clicks - Firebird does this.

Avants systems works best for general browsing, but for pr0n in which you may have one screen in which you may open 30 others (:wink:), firebird's method of going to the next tab to the right automatically makes surfing better for those who spend most of their time online at such sites.

Avant browser also has incredible control over what you can block. You not only have the option to block popups but also all pictures, sounds, flash, java apps, and or activex on the fly if necessary.

Also the automatic clearing of records is very customized and works quite well for those who are afraid of forgetting to clear records of sites they visited in case and don't want to get caught clearing records if someone wants to use their comp really quick.

Well, I don't really have the problem you have with needing to clear your "pr0n" history, but when I used Avant I had problems with it allowing too many pop-ups that I didn't want. Plus from what I saw you couldn't open a new window if you tried - something that I found very annoying.

I believe there is an extension for Firebird that does let you just clear everything with the press of a toolbar button so when your mom asks to use your computer you can hide your "pr0n" session.

qmrq
10-27-2003, 06:30 PM
but now I only use Firebird for special sites in which it's tab function is necessary for a gamut of open windows (pr0n :mrgreen:)
Stop telling us all about your pr0n, eh? You're making us Phoenix users look bad. ;-)

sylvangale
10-27-2003, 09:42 PM
I'm just saying firebird is better suited for pr0n, tis all. I did say I use Avant primarily. :mrgreen:

Yeah... one thing I don't like about Avant is the lack of a keyboard shortcut to just open a URL in a new window... such as ALT+enter in firebird, but it is possible to open a new window if you click the little arrow to the right of the GO button you can open a new window, search, or even go to a link you have copied to the clipboard.

Someone happen to know of a keyboard shortcut...? :(

spursdude
10-27-2003, 11:37 PM
Someone happen to know of a keyboard shortcut...? :(
What I do is double-click in the empty space next to the tabs OR press Ctrl+N to get a new window, then just type in the address. It's really fast, although not quite as quick as pressing Alt+Enter.

sylvangale
10-28-2003, 12:45 AM
:!: :!: :!:

New version of Avant supports opening in new window with SHIFT + ENTER!!!!

I'm happy. :mrgreen:

spursdude
10-28-2003, 01:58 AM
:!: :!: :!:

New version of Avant supports opening in new window with SHIFT + ENTER!!!!

I'm happy. :mrgreen:
Not bad.. not bad at all. :D