View Full Version : In the age of spyware...

William Yeung
10-22-2003, 06:11 PM
I recently found that IE is a great spydoor... so many possible spyware could be sneaking in... I hate it!!!!!!!

What you feel about it? What you think we could to to stop it? What you can do right now (apart from abandon IE)?

TopDog
10-22-2003, 06:49 PM
Abandon IE and use Opera, thats what I do :-)

And I also rund Adaware on a regular basis...

Jacob
10-22-2003, 07:13 PM
Opera, Firebird....both good options to get rid of IE.

Other than that, I would disable ActiveX in IE under advanced options - a great deal of spyware uses ActiveX to either silently install itself or exploint other security holes to get itself on your system.

Kevin Remhof
10-22-2003, 07:39 PM
I think that the root of the problem is Microsoft. Not for what they do but for who they are. Think about it, they have THE dominant browser in the market. If Netscape were still the leader, I'm sure that spyware would be written to target it.

Spyware is just one of those annoying things about the web. As long as you keep on eye on what you accept (God forbid you ever say "Yes, I trust The Gator completely"). And then, run Ad-aware or Spybot Search & Destroy on a regular basis.

I don't think that we'll ever be rid of Spyware, pop-ups, or any other concepts that we hate. But, if we ignore them, they might go away (until the next generation of bloat starts, but that's a different rant).

upplepop
10-22-2003, 07:55 PM
IE is only really a security problem with the default settings. Up the security level and privacy settings to High. You'll get prompted for any trickery a website may be up to.

TopDog
10-22-2003, 10:01 PM
IE is only really a security problem with the default settings. Up the security level and privacy settings to High. You'll get prompted for any trickery a website may be up to.
Yes, but that is also a pain in the a**... even reading a newspaper requires a dosen OK/Cancel clicks... nope, I'm sticking with Opera!

szamot
10-22-2003, 10:16 PM
I use AvantBrowser, it does the trick for me, blocks pop ups, can ditch pictures and flash with a click of a button and is free, what more could anyone ask for.

Jacob
10-22-2003, 11:36 PM
I use AvantBrowser, it does the trick for me, blocks pop ups, can ditch pictures and flash with a click of a button and is free, what more could anyone ask for.

AvantBrowser is good, but you'd still have the spyware problem since it uses IE and therefore shares in its flaws.

Thinkingmandavid
10-23-2003, 02:52 AM
mmm, i think iwill check out opera, seems to me that myppc hasnt been on the net a lot so i wont have to worry about it. actually what i would like is to have a program installed onmy laptop and on my ppc that alerts me to spware and other stuff like it, and asks me what i want to do about it, just block them out, or the opton of sending a computer virus. I would easily release the computer virus for those using spyware and stuff like it onmy laptop or ppc :twisted:

Powelly
10-23-2003, 09:03 AM
Although I have used other browsers I tend to find I come back to IE, maybe not so much because of its quality's just that I support a lot of people using it anyhow I havent had a single popup since installing http://toolbar.google.com/ and with regular run's of adaware my systems seem to be staying quite clean.