View Full Version : Pocket Internet Explorer

threehorn
10-21-2003, 01:33 AM
This is my first posting and I hope this makes sense to everyone. I recently purchased a AMBICOM WL1100C-CF wi-fi card for my Ipaq ( currently a 3955) conection is good and can use MSN messenger to chat back and forth with no problems. My problem is that I cannot surf the net either by PIE or by using ftx browser. Have tried changing variouse settings but with no success. I have no idea whats wrong. Can anyone help?

JustinGTP
10-21-2003, 02:38 AM
Do you have your PC to share the internet connection with the network? Depends if you have DSL or Modem.

threehorn
10-21-2003, 11:11 PM
I am connected with a cable modem. I have a desktop pc hard wired in and do use a laptop connected wirelessly from time to time.

Janak Parekh
10-21-2003, 11:31 PM
Well, since you have MSNM on the Pocket PC working, it's not a hardware (or WLAN) problem. Sounds like a Connection Manager issue. Make sure it's set so that your network card connects to "The Internet", and see if that helps.

--janak

threehorn
10-22-2003, 03:05 AM
Under connections network card is set to "The Internet" is there some other settings that I may have that are wrong or something else to try?

Kati Compton
10-22-2003, 03:12 AM
This might be a red herring, but did it work when the device was in the cradle (ie, w/o the wireless card)?

Sven Johannsen
10-22-2003, 03:43 AM
My gut feel is that it is a DNS problem. That is the system that translates URLs into IP addresses. You must have a valid DNS Server address for the PPC. Normally that is provided by whatever is providing the PPC IP address, and that is done automatically via DHCP, by the router/Access Point. A way to tell what addresses are valid is to run ipconfig /all from the command prompt on your desktop. On the PPC similar info can be had be using vxUtil or vxIPConfig, both free from www.cam.com.

I haven't specifically tried it, but I would not be surprised if MSNM worked without a DNS entry, since it is a single use, proprietary program that may not require a lookup to find MSN IM servers. Regular sites, though definately need a way to look up the address from the URL. Another way to implicate DNS problems is to try going to a site by IP. Try http://207.218.248.21/ in the address window. If it gets there it is a DNS resolution problem.

threehorn
10-22-2003, 10:24 PM
Don't work in the craddle either. Tried using IP addresses and still dows not take me anywhere. Its like it isn't even trying to connect to something.

Mark_Venture
10-22-2003, 11:13 PM
Don't work in the craddle either. Tried using IP addresses and still dows not take me anywhere. Its like it isn't even trying to connect to something.
I had similar problems when I first set mine up. What I found posted that worked for me was instead of setting the iPAQ to "connects to Internet," set it as "connect to WORK" and edit WORK's settings to uncheck uses proxy server.

theon
10-23-2003, 11:26 PM
Maybe this might help if you haven't solved your problem already?

http://www.pc-counselor.com/ad-hoc.htm

threehorn
11-14-2003, 01:01 AM
Thanks for all the help. did a hard reset and now it works fine. Evidently something was corrupted.

Once again thanks........................ :D

Skoobouy
11-27-2003, 12:54 PM
Gee, that's strange. Maybe mine has the same problem. iPaq 1935 with SD Wifi, trying to connect through a router with positively no security or encryption. I've been switching back and forth between "work" and "Internet" and nothing works at all.

What makes it even more frustrating is that I can sync AvantGo just fine. It's the mobile Web that's dead.

EDIT: Wait! I recall something just like this happening to my Jornada 568 last year. I think the solution is to delete something from the Windows folder... some file... I can't remember which one. Hmm.