View Full Version : PPC2K3/WiFi ActiveSync and "Guest": Just the solution please

10-20-2003, 07:58 PM
The other thread "...Guest Issue Focused on" degerated into a bunch of nobs discussing their AS3.7.1 install issues, so let's please stay focused.

Has anyone solved the AS "Guest" connection issue, after installing AS3.7.1 did *NOT* solve the problem? If so, please share your details/solution.

Me: IPAQ5455, everything including WiFi AS worked fine under PPC2K2, but I had to upgrade to PPC2K3 in order to realize 802.1x support. Now, AS always connects as Guest.

What did you do (beyond upgrading AS to 3.7.1) to get it to work? Remember: please stay focused on this topic/question, start you're own bleeding thread with any deviations (with my thanks in advance).

Mp

Dave Beauvais
10-20-2003, 08:21 PM
With all due respect, you may want to cut back on your condescending, hostile tone if you want people to offer you their help...

That said, I'm not sure anyone has figured out a solution to this that works 100% of the time for everyone. I've never had this problem so I can't help you much myself.

--Dave

Janak Parekh
10-20-2003, 08:29 PM
That said, I'm not sure anyone has figured out a solution to this that works 100% of the time for everyone.
Correct. I was going to post a "solution" on the subject, but it doesn't work consistently. :cry:

--janak

Mark_Venture
10-20-2003, 10:13 PM
Well, when I first setup my iPAQ 2215 (WM2003) to activesync over wireless with my home PC, ActiveSync was connecting as "Guest."

PocketPC's name was PocketPC_MM. And I did activesync via cradle a few times before trying Wi-Fi.

I used PocketHost and that seemed to work, but I still had problems every once in a while.

I loaded some apps I didn't like, uninstall didn't "free up" memory, so I did a hard reset and cleared everything out and started over... When I set it up this time, I made the PocketPC's name... iPAQ-MM and it has worked ever since. No need for Pocket Hosts, never shows as GUEST since then.

So, I'd suggest trying to change your iPAQ's name to something that is 8 or less characters and does not include an underscore.

Chris Spera
10-20-2003, 11:23 PM
More than anything else, this seems to be a resource issue. I've noticed on my 5455 with WM2003 that if I don't have at least 13MB of Free RAM on the Storage side, that I'm going to run into problems.

I never have more than 2-3 apps running at a time, so I always have at least 13MB of free RAM on the Program side. But then again, I had my 5455 upgraded to 128MB of RAM by PPC Techs, so I have storage to spare... :D

There's not much that you're going to be able to do about this. The things I have noticed that help are often done after a Hard Reset. If Wi-Fi is the first thing you set up (or one of the first things) after a Hard Reset, then my 5400 seems to "remember" everything its supposed to, and synching works with either BT or Wi-Fi. You're going to have to play around with it.

However, I truly believe this to be a resource issue on the 5400. The best thing to do, IMHO, is to get the memory upgrade from PPC Techs (if you can afford it), and then guard your native RAM. Don't install anything to it that doesn't HAVE to be installed there (apps like Pocket Informant, Today Plug-Ins, and Snoopsoft Dashboard HAVE to be installed to native RAM to work right...)

Upgrading to AS 3.7.1 will help out a great deal, but unfortunately, there's no universal cure. I wish there was.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

mashtim
10-22-2003, 12:06 AM
Wierd.... at first I thought it was a resource issue, as well, but lately I've noticed otherwise.

What I mean is this: When I reboot my laptop (what can I say, I'm Mr. Mobility!), I have absolutely no problems doing a WiFi AS. If I try to do another 5 minutes later, my PPC shows up as "guest". However, if I try a WiFi AS after I've been in StandBy, it will work again!

The question is this: Is there a process that starts when you AS that gets reset by a StandBy? If so, is there a way of setting an automatic reset?

Hopefully those of you who are aware of the inner workings of AS will have an epiphany from this post. Or, if you want to StandBy every time that might work as well!

10-23-2003, 09:17 PM
First, appreciate the responses here.

DaveB: Regarding "condescending, hostile tone" in my initial post to kick off the thread, point taken and apologies all around, since I was indeed smiling when I wrote this. No offense intended, should have used an emoticon.

And finally, The Solution:

PocketPC2002!

I don't need "zero configuration" WiFi, and support for certificate-based 802.1x authentication simply doesn't justify all the aggravation.

Thanks again.
Mp

Crazie.Eddie
10-24-2003, 06:05 AM
For some reason, I am able to access my PPC via GUEST using either ActiveSync or Wi-Fi. I uninstalled the last apps to see if it caused the problem. I uninstalled PocketHosts and to see if it resolved the problem. Neither worked. Even after several reboots of my PC and H5555. So I deleted the partnership, removed the Contact, Notes, and Calendar entries in Outlook on my PC, then re-established the partnership again. I am able to connect to ActiveSync via USB & Wi-fi as my PPC Device ID with no problems.

Dave Beauvais
10-24-2003, 06:08 AM
... No offense intended, should have used an emoticon.
I'd also like to apologize for jumping down your throat. I haven't been in the best of spirits lately and little things are getting to me more than normal. It certainly wasn't the warm welcome that new PPC Thoughts members deserve and I'm sorry for that. So (belatedly) welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts! :)

--Dave

doogald
10-24-2003, 01:13 PM
For some reason, I am able to access my PPC via GUEST using either ActiveSync or Wi-Fi. I uninstalled the last apps to see if it caused the problem. I uninstalled PocketHosts and to see if it resolved the problem.

Simply uninstalling Pocket Hosts probably will not help. Pocket Hosts places the host names into the registry for you - basically, it is a helper app that makes entering hosts into the registry much easier to do. I doubt that uninstalling Pocket Hosts removes the registry entries - I think that the hosts remain in the registry.

I was lucky enough that removing the host table entry in Pocket Hosts for my desktop PC's IP address resolved the problem for me.

ctmagnus
10-24-2003, 05:59 PM
I was lucky enough that removing the host table entry in Pocket Hosts for my desktop PC's IP address resolved the problem for me.

That fixed it for me as well.

Microsoft really should have stated that Pocket PC 2003 doesn't require host settings in order to sync wirelessly.

Crazie.Eddie
10-24-2003, 10:52 PM
Simply uninstalling Pocket Hosts probably will not help. Pocket Hosts places the host names into the registry for you - basically, it is a helper app that makes entering hosts into the registry much easier to do. I doubt that uninstalling Pocket Hosts removes the registry entries - I think that the hosts remain in the registry.
I only installed PocketHosts and never configured any host entries. I just installed the application in case I ever needed to add host entries. I plan to install it again to see if it was the cause of my problem.