View Full Version : Performance on Socket SDIO Wi-Fi!

zacka
10-20-2003, 12:03 AM
I am currently using the Socket SDIO Wi-Fi card on my H2210 PPC which connects (without any problems by the way) to my Wireless Netgear WGR614 Cable Router. Generally internet access and range are pretty good taking into account placement of Antenna and interference from other devices, however I have noticed poor network performance particularly when playing mp3s from desktop PC or streaming online.
Now I know this isn't right as I was able to play mp3s fairly smoothly and even stream, using Bluetooth. I actually got pretty decent performance with my Belkin 100m USB Blutooth adaptor and the in-built Blutooth on the 2210. As far as I know Wi-Fi should be faster than Bluetooth, right?
Can anyone shed some light on this matter? I am using the latest SD Wi-Fi drivers from the Socket site and I have even updated the firmware on the Netgear Router. Perhaps there are some settings I have overlooked?

Janak Parekh
10-20-2003, 03:14 AM
Have you tried doing things like disabling WEP, if it's enabled? (Just as a debugging step...)

--janak

zacka
10-20-2003, 03:58 AM
I do have shared key WEP enabled at the moment so I will
definately try disabling it. I have even tried turning save
power mode off, with no difference to network performance.
Running out of ideas!!

gry
10-21-2003, 09:00 PM
These cards stink. Will only connect without WEP and I feel like a beta tester for Socket.

I posted for help getting this card to work at the Socket forum and e-mailed their support team, horrendous. No reply in 6 days.

PoweriPaq
10-21-2003, 09:54 PM
I'm sure it's the same as my Sandisk SDIO WiFi, but I have my WEP turned on as well and it worked. Before, the settings for Broadcast is disabled, and I wasn't able to surf the internet. So I enabled the broadcast and all is well. I have a Linksys Router.

These cards stink. Will only connect without WEP and I feel like a beta tester for Socket.

I posted for help getting this card to work at the Socket forum and e-mailed their support team, horrendous. No reply in 6 days.

zacka
10-22-2003, 11:02 AM
I totally agree with you gry these cards are very sub par.

I had a bit of a play around with the settings the other day
and the strange thing is I couldn't connect to my Netgear
Wireless Router with the setting for Broadcast ESSID disabled
with or without WEP enabled. As soon as I turned on Broadcast
ESSID I could connect with or without WEP enabled. Kind of
defeats the purpose if you want to prevent your ESSID name
being broadcast over your wireless network.

Anyway regardless of being able to connect and access the
internet, it still doesn't make up for the unnacceptable
networking performance. Quite frankly it stinks! I can
almost get getter networking performance from Bluetooth.
What gives!!!!

zacka
11-07-2003, 01:27 AM
Has anyone experienced poor network performance on their SDIO Wi-Fi
cards? Sandisk or Socket?