View Full Version : Backup space and strategy?

terrypin
10-19-2003, 11:46 AM
I'm using Pocket Backup to make compressed, self-executing backups on my CF card nightly. But as they are around 25 MB in size, naturally I cannot afford to keep very many.

1. Does that size seem reasonable? Using Settings>Memory I see I have used 29.9 MB of main memory, and 2,0 of iPAQ File store, i.e a total of about 32 MB. The compression doesn't seem very significant.

2. How much space do others sacrifice to backups?

3. I'm thinking of keeping say just a couple of the most recent backups on my CF card, and moving the older ones to my desktop PC. Is that a reasonable strategy? Will the files be converted appropriately and still therefore be accessible if I need to restore?

Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

xerxers
10-19-2003, 04:53 PM
Terrypin,

Why don't you use Sprite backup and place the files directly onto you PC?

terrypin
10-19-2003, 05:19 PM
Xerxers,

As mentioned, I am using (.

By '...directly onto your PC' are you recommending I schedule the backups to my desktop (with Pocket Backup) when PPC is in its cradle? If so, issue remains when it is being used as a mobile device.

I guess I'm interested in hearing what most other users do. There seem to be quite a few options...

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

dh
10-19-2003, 05:41 PM
I also use Pocket Backup and I backup to my CF card. This is mainly because I use my Axim as a laptop replacement and I want to protect against an unplanned hard reset while traveling.

I only keep two backups, I've not felt I need any more. I back up my RAM and the Dell Built In Storage. At home I only back up if I've changed anything since all my PI data is synced with Outlook all the time. On the road I backup everyday.

Just to be sure it works, I've restored from my backup file a couple of times. Sprite Backup Plus restores nicely. Great for the peace of mind.

terrypin
10-19-2003, 06:44 PM
Thanks dh.

On a different point, have you tried backing up to PC, using the 'Sprite PC Service'? I had to cancel mine as it is trying to backup my 1 GB CF card too. So far, I've found no place to exclude this, but I must have missed something!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

dh
10-19-2003, 06:57 PM
I've never backed up to a PC. Only to my CF card.

I do keep a copy of my SD card on my PC but I use a card reader for this. Only games and non essential files on here anyway. Axims are not renowned for being friendly towards SD cards, so it's not clever to store important stuff on one.

I dont need to back up my CF card either, this is where my books and music live. The files are all copied from my hard drive anyway.

Johnny Blaze
10-20-2003, 12:49 AM
Yeah I backup to an old 32mb sd card i have personally. I keep a 256 mb sd card in my ipaq and in my sena case I keep a spare 256 with movies and such and also my 32mb backup sd.

tanalasta
11-17-2003, 10:03 AM
Thanks dh.

On a different point, have you tried backing up to PC, using the 'Sprite PC Service'? I had to cancel mine as it is trying to backup my 1 GB CF card too. So far, I've found no place to exclude this, but I must have missed something!

You'll find that if you go to options and exclude the backup non-volatile storage option then it won't back up your CF card. Which is generally a good idea coz the only time you tend to lose your memory cards are if you get your device stolen!

Lex
11-17-2003, 12:48 PM
I use Pocket Backup Plus and in 3 minutes without compression it does a total backup of my iPAQ 3845 to a SD card. 45mb of data.

I keep one backup and overwrite that one with each successive backup.

Why keep 2 backups? Am I taking chances?

terrypin
11-17-2003, 03:30 PM
I use Pocket Backup Plus and in 3 minutes without compression it does a total backup of my iPAQ 3845 to a SD card. 45mb of data.

I keep one backup and overwrite that one with each successive backup.

Why keep 2 backups? Am I taking chances?

It's all relative. Assuming that
- you're taking backups with the same settings every time
- you've thoroughly tested at least one of them by doing a hard reset followed by a restore
then you're not taking much of a chance IMO. However, suppose the reason you do the hard reset is due to some problem that developed before your last backup. Then restoring it will restore the problem, which will cause the problem...Catch 22. Having two backups just reduces that particular risk. Some might also feel that being able to go back a week (or a month) in some circumstances is worthwhile. In which case you'd need a lot more than 2.

My very first restore failed, and I had to recreate from an old AS backup. So did my second! Turned out to be a bug in Pocket Backup Plus, as reported in my recent post. So, even though I've sorted that now and can avoid the bug until Sprite issue a fix in their next version, I'm probably ultra cautious now. Taking backups is now my main PPC use!

I have one scheduled each day. I've configured PB so that it stores 2 on my CF card, overwriting the oldest. I use compression, and my self executing backup files are currently about 21 MB. In addition to the scheduled, if I'm feeling particularly nervous about some software I'm about to install, then I take another backup, usually with AS direct to my PC. Daily, I copy one of those scheduled backups from PPC to my PC (unless I forget - maybe I should automate that too!), and that folder is currently 357 MB.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK