View Full Version : What to do, what to do. Which PPC should I choose.

animlmed
10-17-2003, 06:29 PM
Ok, here's the situation, I want my e310 to go on a perminant vacation. I'd like a new PPC that's obviously better than then 310. It's served it purpose, but I'm ready for bigger and better. Here's what I'd like:

1. 64 Mb Memory
2. Removable battery
3. A battery that lasts more than 3 hours.
4. A slim, small design (Nothing like an X5)
5. Price up to $250 (Perhaps a little more, if the X3 64Mb model has a discount assoiated with it).
6. Something that's going to be relatevly fast. ( The 310 is ok, but with 12 out of 32Mb used for storage, it tends to slow down).
7. SDIO would be nice (but I believe most of them hav that now adays)
8. PPC 2003
9 SD card slot

Any suggestions that y'all have would be most appreciated and welcome. If anyone has experience with a device that meets this criteria, it would be great to let me know how you like it, how it handles programs, etc. Again, thank you SOOOO much in advance! :D

JustinGTP
10-17-2003, 06:42 PM
The best device with all of that would be the 2215/2210, but it is 400. It has everything you have listed, but if you were to get a better device now it may last longer in the future.

-Justin.

Palmguy
10-17-2003, 07:09 PM
The non-Wifi X3 has been tested at even faster than the 2210, it is pretty small, has 64 megs, SD, PPC2k3.

PetiteFlower
10-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Do you want wireless or not? The X3 is smaller then the 2215, and the 2215 has a CF slot which you don't say you need. It also does not have a jog dial, if such things are important to you :)

The X3 without wireless seems like it's a pretty good choice for you actually, if indeed you don't need wireless. It's a little more expensive then you want, but all you can get for $250 now is the 1935 Ipaq which has 64 ram but only 16 rom and is gonna be slower then anything else due to the 203 MH processor and is gonna have dismal battery life, or an X5 which you don't like the size of :)

animlmed
10-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Wireless isn't necessary. If I ever do decide I want it, I can get the SD wireless card. A CF card slot isn't necessary either. I'm very tempted by the X3. The X5 is just a bit too big. I'd like something I can get into my pocket. I'm just hoping dell has a nice holiday sale. :) I'm hoping I can sell my 310 for like a hundred bucks ( if I can get that for it! lol) But I just wanted to see what everyone else thought as far as what they've read, what experience thay have had with perticular models, etc. Trust me, this info is helping. Thanks again!!

tanalasta
10-23-2003, 06:20 AM
I'd personally go the 2215 - its what i want next time i upgrade! If you can afford it that is, and if you don't need wi-fi then its perfect. And unless you already have a pile of SD cards lying around, CF slots are great - faster and cheaper!

spikedrabbit
10-23-2003, 06:47 AM
Since I'm in love with my Toshiba e355, thats what I say. Last time I looked on Amazon, you can get it for around $200. 128mb, SD slot, Windows Mobile 2003, the only downer is that it doesnt have a removable battery...

Fishie
10-23-2003, 07:54 AM
Or wait for the Toshiba e400, wich is thinner then the Ipaq 19xx series has 32mb of safe store and is faster then the ipaq 2215, heh at this rate the 2215 will soon be the slowest ppc in existence, we have the asus 620 PPCs now, prolly the X3 and now the new Toshibaīs as well that spank the Ipaq from here to kingdom come.
Oh well I have CF AND SD slots so nenernenernene

JustinGTP
10-23-2003, 06:25 PM
Tis up to you and the money you want to spend. I love my PDA and thats all that matter :wink:

-Justin.

-Of course things will get faster and better, thats what happens. Technology never stops! You could wait untill next year, of course!

Thinkingmandavid
10-23-2003, 07:18 PM
mmm, the x3 is a good choice, i think you will do fine with a sd slot because if you want to go wireless you can have both blue tooth and wi fi sd cards :wink:
how about the viewsonic? v36 too much?
so many choices, but price is an issue i understand that. that seems to be the top contender. how about this....when you actually know for sure y

animlmed
10-23-2003, 08:03 PM
Have you had any experience with the X3? if so, how did you like it? I'd like to stay away from Toshiba(since the experience I've had with them hasn't been the best). If the X3i is about 40 or 50 dollars more than the X3, I might as well get the X3i. It would be cheaper than a SD WiFi Card!

Thinkingmandavid
10-24-2003, 12:15 AM
well go to the website http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/pda?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs and see the prices. it is a little more.
X3i is 341 and free shipping.
x3 is 229 free shipping.

animlmed
10-24-2003, 03:38 AM
lol sorry, I should have been more specific. I was thinking X3 with 64mb. I would never get another PPC with 32 mb again. :) I hope dell has a holiday special soon to get the X3i closer to 300 bucks. I'd just like to hear experiences with them before I go buy one.

Thinkingmandavid
10-24-2003, 03:41 AM
both those dells have 64 megs...wow, 300, well since it is almost christmas it is possible. it will be after mail in rebates. That is a good idea, wait to buy one during the christmas season so if there is a good deal you can jump on it :wink: Just remember, as soon as you see the deal, order the dam thing!!!!!! if not then you will be moaning and upset that you didnt and we would all have to hear about it, hehe

animlmed
10-24-2003, 03:48 AM
Trust me, as soon as I see it for a good deal, I'm there! I'm just apprehensive. When I bought my e310, i was thinking oh, i'll have this for a while, get a nice case for it, do lots with it, etc. I guess I didn't do enough research in it! I want a PPC that I can have for a good few years, works great, won't be obsolete in 3 months, and someone willing to make a form fitting case for it! LOL I wasn't happy about buying a product that the rest of the market forgot about, inculding the manufacture!

Thinkingmandavid
10-24-2003, 03:58 AM
AS fast as the pda/ppc is coming out from the companies due to tight competition, I would imagine it is going to keep being that way for a while. I buy for my purposes, if I need to upgrade I will and if I can afford to but not a big deal for me.
Ihave a e355 I just bought because of some punk stealing mine :evil:
There will always be a 'better' ppc than what we buy....
I would buy for what works good for you, if you get three years then great, if you end up in a year and a half selling yours on ebay and then buying another one,then great again.
My thinking is that I buy something well with in my pocket book range for now and then I will buy something nicer when I can obviously afford, more importantly that catches my eye for my mulit tasking.
I know how you feel about being apprehensive. I spent months that way before I actually bought my ppc because i just wasnt sure.
NOw i am glad i waited, but what a pain not having all that info at my finger tips. :crazyeyes:

animlmed
10-24-2003, 04:05 AM
How do you like your e355? Does it have decent battery life, speed, etc? The e310 sucks for multi-tasking. I mean it would be a good "upgrade" since I have the 310's accessories. Maybe that's just the change i need. Where did you get your e355 for 129?!? :)

And did your company do anythg about your theft at work?!? that sucks!!!

And by the way, thanks for your help! :D

Thinkingmandavid
10-24-2003, 04:51 AM
i am a sales rep selling cingular so my loss. i work for wireless retail, the joy :roll:
i got it at best buy, since it is not being stocked in the stores, if you can get to one they may have it cheap. I dont know if for that price, but you can check. i work with the people in the wireless department so that did help. they were selling it for a little more,but not much more. it has to be their last one for them todo anything about it. mmm, in fact i know of a store selling their last onefor 150, white march best buy.
it is ok on the speed, i mean it isnt doing the quarter mile in 3.3 seconds. haha
if you are not sure what to do, go by a store and play with some of the ppc's there, then it will help you to make an informed decision. :wink:

animlmed
10-24-2003, 01:43 PM
LOL as long as the machine doesn't sit there and think about what I want it to do for a few seconds. Is the 300 Mz CPU speed adjustable? And how does the stylus fit in it? Is it a lose fit?

Skoobouy
10-24-2003, 11:06 PM
There was a review with the Spb benchmarks of the Toshiba e400--it wasn't always or even generally faster than the iPaq h2210; just with some tests. I think it got a better graphics rating. But then, so did the iPaq 1910. :|

Given your needs, I say, do what I'm doing: get an iPaq 1935. They're on sale at Amazon at the moment, so after the $50 rebate it comes out to about $187.50.

You get everything you asked for, for the absolute cheapest price you will find anywhere. Use the cash you save for a nice case/cradle/SDIO stuff of whatever.

Paula
10-25-2003, 05:05 AM
I want a PPC that I can have for a good few years, works great, won't be obsolete in 3 months,

You want a PPC that won't be obsolete in 3 months? That is an impossible mission. :?
As I said in another post I believe the next HP innovation will be a disposable PPC that you replace every month. :D

Paula

animlmed
10-26-2003, 10:14 PM
Well, after all of my complaining, contemplating and playing around, I decided on an h1935. I ordered it yesterday from office max (got it for $170.) I played with the e355 and the 1945 and 1935, and decided I liked the form of the smaller unit, and its a zippy little thing! And since I don't need bluetooth, the h1935 was a sweet deal. Thanks everyone for their input!!

Thinkingmandavid
10-27-2003, 01:26 AM
Cool deal, good to hear it:)
I can imagine you will be like alittle kid waiting for it to comein the mail;)
Something that I noticed is that justin always reminds people that current technology is in and out before you know it;) (paraphrasing using my own wording)
Tis up to you and the money you want to spend. I love my PDA and thats all that matter

-Justin.

-Of course things will get faster and better, thats what happens. Technology never stops! You could wait untill next year, of course!

animlmed
10-27-2003, 01:48 AM
lol I am like a little kid. Unfortunately, it's back ordered, but it should be here by week's end. I already bouoght a hard case for it (e-bay is great!), this is coming together nicely.:) I cant wait to take it for a true test drive! Thanks for your advice!!

Thinkingmandavid
10-27-2003, 03:40 AM
oh wow, already bought a case for it. which one??
that is cool, I would be just as excited as you are about it :wink:
I have been enjoying my toshiba since i bought it almost a week ago. fits me good, I want to next buy a keyboard and a bluetooth sd card.
I bought yesterday a case/wallet for it from belkin and it is working out really good for it. I feel good opening my case up when i take money out of it and showing off my ppc :D

animlmed
10-27-2003, 04:33 AM
I bought the Innopocket Hard case. I've always wanted a hard case for my PDA, and this is the perfect one. It looks like it fits the h1935 like a glove! This week needs to fly by! lol :D

Thinkingmandavid
10-27-2003, 04:51 AM
Just when you want it to fly by it will take the longest. But at leas you can look at picture of the 19xx;)
I had thought about a hard case, but then I couldnt put it on my hip and have credit card and money slot.

animlmed
11-02-2003, 06:41 AM
Well, an update.....

I ordered my h1935 from OfficeMax, but I have to say I'm not pleased with them right now. After my product being back ordered and then them telling me the incorrect shipping date, I find out after multiple phone calls that they aren't sure exactly where my package is, whether it's still with them or on a truck in who know's where. I'm still waiting, and I can't wait to give a supervisor a piece of my mind(after a number of their customer service reps lied to me). I'm going to try and make them send it to me overnight, as soon as thy find it ( Since previously, there were going to ship it ground. Fastest shipping possible indeed!). So needless to say, the case I ordered for it is sitting on my desk, but my PDA is in BFE. So just be careful with OficeMax. I'm not saying this will hapen often, but it probably happens more often that one would think.

JustinGTP
11-02-2003, 07:38 AM
animlmed, that sucks! I hope you find your package soon!

-Justin.

Thinkingmandavid
11-02-2003, 03:57 PM
Dude, that really does suck :!:
I would be :evil: as well.
That is very poor customer service, seems to me they should find a way to take care of you. There has to be some email or contact number you have or can get to get better results for yourself.

animlmed
11-02-2003, 11:15 PM
I'll have to be an a*s on Monday; I have a feeling that i will get a better chance at having a supervisor who isn't pissed for having to work the weekend. Here is an e-mail I sent them, in their "late Package" complaint area of their web site:

I must say I have been very displeased with OfficeMax concerning this order. I understand product availability and how backordered items can push back delivery dates, but it is another thing when I am supplied with the incorrect delivery date and ultimately told my package was shipped, when it wasn't. I received an e-mail informing me that my product had been received by OffixeMax and that the delivery date was Friday, October 31st. What I came to find out was that in fact, this was not my delivery date. When I did not receive my package, I called up and was informed that the package was being sent UPS ground, was shipped out October 30th and would not arrive until Tuesday. If this was not frustrating enough, a tracking number could not be supplied on the initial phone call, nor the two subsequent phone calls. The customer service representative informed me that it was UPS' fault and that they are the ones that would update OfficeMax's system with the tracking number. I ended up calling UPS to try to determine what my tracking number might be. After the representative spent 20 minutes with me on the phone, she determined that NO package was being shipped to my address. I called OfficeMax back and talked to a representative who was more helpful than any others had been. She did some research and came to the conclusion that the package had not been sent at all. She sent an e-mail to the shipping department, but unfortunately they will not be able to deal with this situation until Monday morning. This situation has been very frustrating. When I am informed of a delivery date from a service that touts "real-time status information" of orders, only to find out that this information is not accurate, it becomes an inconvenience, affecting my time and my energy. The least that could be done in this situation is that, once my product has been found, it be shipped to me in the shortest amount of time (at least overnight, if not sooner). I appreciate your time regarding this matter, and I look forward to a response.

Any more ideas ThinkingmanDavid? Aren't you in the retail sector? What would you recommend?

Thinkingmandavid
11-03-2003, 12:21 AM
I am wondering why you just didnt go to the store and buy it in person. To me that would have been the easiest and most trouble free.
Have they already charged your credit card?? IF so, you can always get it credited back and go somewhere else. Hopefully you will get a good response from your email, but in my opinion they have already dropped the ball in the Customer service (cs) area. as we all have in the retail sector :mrgreen:
If you do get a response I would push for no charge on shipping due to their internal errors. But if it was me I would get my charge card credited andjust go somewhere else.

animlmed
11-03-2003, 12:49 AM
LOL Well, I did get a good deal on it, and no store around here offers the h1935. I used a discount code, and the only way to get the discount was through the web site sooooo.. I guess I have no business bitching since I got it at a good deal, but still: Discount or not, they acrewed up. I don't mine waiting, as long as they get it to me in like a day once they find it. Its just I don't like being lied to. :wink:

Thinkingmandavid
11-03-2003, 02:33 AM
mmm, 187 is not bad, but that does not justify bad cs :!:
they should be willing to ship it for free or just ship a totally new unit. :!:

JustinGTP
11-03-2003, 03:12 AM
Remember: "The Customer Is Always Right"

-Justin.

Mitch D
11-03-2003, 04:03 AM
Remember: "The Customer Is Always Right"

-Justin.

LOL... well that is rule number one in customer service Justin, rule number two is "unless they are wrong or hopelessly fubared!"

JustinGTP
11-03-2003, 04:23 AM
He he, at DQ thats what we say, the Customer is always right and that the customer pays for your paycheck!

Steven Cedrone
11-03-2003, 06:32 AM
Topic...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

animlmed
11-03-2003, 07:38 PM
Well, after calling OfficeMax this morning (two times I might add), I made them call the shipping department and found out that they did, in fact, ship my package, and it will arrive tomorrow. So after a number of employees lied to me, and fed me wrong information, I am finally getting my package shipped to me UPS ground ( ya think they would want to make me happy and get it here ASAP since it was already delayed). I can't wait to give them an earful. I'm going to inform them that I'm going to recommend that the rather large college within a rather large University I work for not use them as a supplier of office supplies. Maybe that will make them send me something to make up for this mess.

Thinkingmandavid
11-04-2003, 02:28 AM
Well, after calling OfficeMax this morning (two times I might add), I made them call the shipping department and found out that they did, in fact, ship my package, and it will arrive tomorrow
That is good news, I know you have been waiting for it.
If they found that out today, couldnt they have found that out already? Double check to make sure it arrives safely and that the box is not all banged up.

I'm going to inform them that I'm going to recommend that the rather large college within a rather large University I work for not use them as a supplier of office supplies. Maybe that will make them send me something to make up for this mess.
Do you have the pull for that? They will more than likely wonder what department you are, or they may know the names of those who are actually in charge of orders for office supplies. So basically be prepared on all fronts.

JustinGTP
11-04-2003, 02:37 AM
Good to know you will get your little friend, finally! And do give them an earful, its always good to let a company know how crappy they are! :D

-Justin.

animlmed
11-05-2003, 04:58 PM
It's here! Let me just say the h1935 is awesome. Fast, small, great battery. I'm in love. Thanks for all of your support guys. I must say it was worth the wait. I can get all the programs I want on here, and have lots of room to spare! Playing games is great, fast, no pauses. It's the one for me!

Thinkingmandavid
11-05-2003, 05:07 PM
AWESOME :!:
Now you can tailor your ppc for you :wink:

JustinGTP
11-05-2003, 05:20 PM
The customization and personalization stage is far the best, its the most fun, and it sets your PDA from others :D

-Justin.

animlmed
11-05-2003, 06:08 PM
I sold my GF my old e310 for 80 bucks ( I think she got a steal.:)) Set it up for her tastes and now I'm working on mine, it's almost perfect! Ahh new toys are the best.... :D

Thinkingmandavid
11-06-2003, 02:23 AM
and so the customization beings on two sides. each gender deciding what theirs will be like and if there will be a pic of the other person on their..mmmmmmm...who will become more addicted :?: he said or she said :?: :!: :wink:

Flavinha
11-06-2003, 11:27 AM
In my opinion, you should buy an iPaq 1945. I jus bought one and it took me a while to buy it bc I wasnīt sure which one, 1945 or 2210, would suit be better.

What I did was to buy both and choose the one I liked most.

And 1945 is way better than 2210. Itīs smaller, lighter and the screen resolution is better too. Itīs got 64M memory, and iPaq memory, and you can also use a sd card. The windows is 2003 and the battery surly lasts more than 3 hours. I use my all morning in school and the battely lasts utill I get home and charge it again.

The price is around $300 but I thinj itīs worthy.

Hope I helped you. :D

Flavinha

Thinkingmandavid
11-06-2003, 05:22 PM
I am wondering since the toshiba e405 came out and it is at 299, if the price of the ipaq 1945 will go down from 299. In my opinion it doesnt make sense to have them both at the same price.