View Full Version : advice? thinking of buying e-740 off ebay got $340 AUS to spend

dragon20
10-16-2003, 04:49 PM
Hay guys iam in the market for a pocket pc and i have been looking in ebay and for what i can afford and willing to pay the

Toshiba e-740 is my best option just wanted to know what you think and if you reconmend anything else

Thanks guys

dave3
10-16-2003, 05:14 PM
My advice:
Unless the device costs $100 or less forget about it. Issues include:
1. it had a known battery problem.
2. even with the firmware update it still sucks down precious juice due to wifi and intel 250 processor.
3. toshiba will not update it to wm2003...ever You are stuck with the old os.

the only thing for it is a low price. Why not get the new dell axim or new hp 4000 or something for a bit more? I'm sure with discounts etc You could get one in the high $200 range.

Tierran
10-16-2003, 07:30 PM
Well, how much are you willing to spend? The e740 is a decent PDA. The battery life is just fine when the WiFi is turned off and with WiFi on, its expected that it would drain faster.

There were some issues with the device that the latest ROM updates have fixed in their entirety and I have been happily using my e740 since January.

The WM2k3 OS is not available for it and while its unfortunate...I haven't found my PDA to be any less useful because of it. As far as I can tell, there is not much of a killer ap for WM2k3 (and I still don't understand the big deal about the connection manager...I have never had a problem with PPC2k2's)

I would not recommend spending any more than 150 to 200 bucks on it because then you'll be spending close to what you could get a new PDA with WiFi for.

The e740 is by no means a perfect PDA...but it is not a bad PDA.

cooldw57
10-16-2003, 08:39 PM
Well, how much are you willing to spend? The e740 is a decent PDA. The battery life is just fine when the WiFi is turned off and with WiFi on, its expected that it would drain faster.

There were some issues with the device that the latest ROM updates have fixed in their entirety and I have been happily using my e740 since January.

The WM2k3 OS is not available for it and while its unfortunate...I haven't found my PDA to be any less useful because of it. As far as I can tell, there is not much of a killer ap for WM2k3 (and I still don't understand the big deal about the connection manager...I have never had a problem with PPC2k2's)

I would not recommend spending any more than 150 to 200 bucks on it because then you'll be spending close to what you could get a new PDA with WiFi for.

The e740 is by no means a perfect PDA...but it is not a bad PDA.

I found my e740 works great, it doesnt have ANY connection issues, and I havnet had any data lost. Windows 2002 works just fine, really no need for 2003. And for around 190 bucks you get on ebay it's probably the cheapest WiFi device you could get.

dragon20
10-17-2003, 02:26 AM
hay guys thanks for the reply well i have looked around and the closest one to the price and speed etc is the iPAQ H1910

and it only has a 200mhz processor with 32 mb ram

so yea

i understand its great to spend abit more
but its costing me about $350 Australian as i live in melbourne and the ones in Australia are so heavily priced its not funny =)

and they still sell that model in australia the 3-74 for like 1199 RRP

but yea any other advice would be great

dragon20
10-17-2003, 02:30 AM
i found that the e755 will cost me about $550 australian as the e-740 would cost me 350

just wanted to ask also the big difference between them and the quality between the two

Thanks alot guys

cooldw57
10-17-2003, 08:31 AM
E750 got more RAMs ( 64RAM+32ROM+32MB of somewhere between ROM and RAM... = combined of 128MB memory)
a lot better screen (3.8' in comparison to 3.5 ') and it's transreflective (you could see a lot better in most environment)
It's OS upgradable (740 is NOT), and I'm assuming it fixes some of the bugs with 740 (ie, Battery bug..etc)
I sold my E740 WiFi with a Bluetooth CF card on ebay for 180 bucks, and I got a E750 from Ebay for 350 bucks, that 170 bucks of differences is really worth it

dragon20
10-17-2003, 03:13 PM
did you get that brand new second hand or refurbished theres a huge company on ebay selling refurbished toshiba e-755 any one know them bought one etc?

do you guys know what they go for? brand new in us as iam in aus and its hard for me to get replys with people willing to send to australia
thanks a lot

Blargman2001
10-17-2003, 04:54 PM
I'm from Aus and I bought a refurbished e740 from 'Tessie Toys' on ebay in the US for AU$290. It's perfect except for a little dent on the cradle (cosmetic appearence problems aren't included in the 90 day warranty and is only valid in the US, so getting a PDA from the States is a bit of a gamble if it breaks down on you) that doesn't affect it's operation in any way and the software CD has already had it's Microsoft seal broken. One big gripe I have about the e740 is it's pathetic multimedia performance, even the current 266 mhz Ipaq (don't remember the model) gives it a run for it's money when it comes to playing movies, 3d games and emulators (but it doesn't have wifi and a CF slot), the e740's d-pad also lags, taking about 1/2 of a second to register the press so is annoying in games otherwise, it's a great little PDA.