View Full Version : Is it worth getting e755

BackFireWarrior
10-15-2003, 07:47 PM
Im thinking of buy a (my first) PDA, my choices are Axim X5 Advance or Toshiba e755.

Dell Axim X5 (no wiFi)= $293+S&H
e755 (w/ WiFi & thinner than Axim)=355+Free S&H (-$50 for future purchases on Amazon).

What I like about e755 is that it can host USB device thru a $90 expansion pack (good on USB mouse/keyboard or UMS iRiver MP3 or USB memory keychain) but I read bad comments about information being lost when battery dries out or built in WiFi coverage seems average. Are this true, why cant they have smart software that shut off the PDA when the battery is low, my JetAudio mp3 player have this feature.

After viewing some thread over here and found a pic posted below, it doesnt seem to have the expansion pack (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006HYA8/103-5727189-8832616) yet USB devices are connected to the PDA.

http://discussion.brighthand.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=588453

Toshiba USB/VGA expansion pack
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006HYA8.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Does the e755 cradle comes with USB port to host USB device or do I need to have the expansion pack or something else? Also answer my question about battery when already drain/used then all information would be gone? Also hows the WiFi on e755 comapred to other built in Wifi on other PDA or compared to CF WiFi?

-=Confused PDA Noob=-

ghl
10-15-2003, 08:18 PM
pre-message <this info is my opinions/ideas, i take no responsability for any problems i cause>

sorry this may seem off topic, can the iPAQ get a USB hub for it :lol:
back to the subject, as far as i know all pocket pc's i have seen (mostley ipaqs) lose data when the battery dies out, thats why you leave it on charge when your not using it, silly :wink: :wink:
you only lose your stuff, windows stays intact ect, it returns to asif its new out of the box and you recalibrate the stylus ect.

BackFireWarrior
10-15-2003, 10:28 PM
I never have PPC before but does all PCC today have nonvolatile Flash storage to protect data from resets or even complete power loss, I dont know if this apply to e755 as I never read review about e755 if it comes with nonvolatile Flash storage. I was just browsing on PDA related website and there was this waterproff PDA that advertise that it has nonvolatile Flash storage to protect save date from battery power loss (TDS Recon).

I gotta buy it before 10/19 if I wanna save $50.

PetiteFlower
10-15-2003, 11:34 PM
You're going to have a hard time finding a USB keyboard/mouse that has drivers to run on a PPC, even if the PPC can support it. I'm pretty sure none exist right now. The USB host capability is a great idea in theory but not all that useful in reality because of the lack of drivers.

Most PPCs now have 2 kinds of memory, RAM which is not preserved after a hard reset or power drain, and ROM which is. The ROM is mostly for storage though some programs can be installed to it, basically your device sees that part of the memory like a storage card. It's also where the OS is stored, so that is not wiped out when the device is hard reset.

The Axim has a backup battery to protect against memory loss but it's not infailable; it's still best to keep the device charged. And most PPCs DO have an auto-power off feature but that may not work if there's an application running in the background or under other circumstances.

You might want to look at the Axim X3 which was just released today(though if you're not in the US it may be a while before it's available), that also has a model with built in wifi and it's a smidge less then the e755. Dell is also having a free shipping offer right now, again if you're in the US, and 10% off handhelds, good for the rest of the day at least. Worth a look :)

Sheynk
10-16-2003, 12:02 AM
I had the e755 a short while ago. Its a very solid PDA if you can live with the fact that you will not get support from Toshiba

Thinkingmandavid
10-16-2003, 01:32 AM
That sure keeps popping up a lot, and for months to, toshiba is sorry at customer support.

jkendrick
10-16-2003, 05:27 AM
The Toshiba e755 has a host USB port on the cradle so if you only want to use a keyboard or mouse while cradled you don't need the expansion device. All generic USB keyboards work out of the box with no additional drivers needed. You do need a free mouse driver to use a mouse.

The expansion kit also provides a VGA port to hook to a monitor or slide projector.

I have been using Toshiba PocketPCs for a year and a half and their customer support has been great.

prismejon
10-16-2003, 06:15 AM
The Toshiba e755 has a host USB port on the cradle so if you only want to use a keyboard or mouse while cradled you don't need the expansion device. All generic USB keyboards work out of the box with no additional drivers needed. You do need a free mouse driver to use a mouse.

What kind of cradle do you have?? 8O
My Toshiba is sitting in its cradle right next to me now, and there is now USB-port anywhere...
The cradle on the picture is probably a modified one (http://www.knology.net/%7Ethebeams/cradle-index.htm). If you don't want to fiddle with your cradle you need the expansion pack to use USB. (The Genio has an USB port on its cradle)

To stay on topic; I recommend the Toshiba. There price difference isn't that big and you get much more. I've had no problems with losing my data due to the battery running out. And all PPCs have a setting which turns it off after X min. without use.

newst
10-16-2003, 12:22 PM
The Toshiba 740/750 has USB host capabilities through it's normal USB connector-but you need a special adapter to access them, you can not access USB devices through the standard cradle.

There are two options available. The $90.00 expansion pack, which also adds VGA support, and a $30.00 USB Host cable. Unless you need VGA support the Host cable is more useful.

Drivers for USB keyboards are included in the PPC-2002 and PPC-2003 operating systems. There are free drivers (PPC-2002) available for download that access USB 3.5" floppy drives, mice and mass storage devices. (Do a search on "Deje" for the mouse and MSD drivers).

The author of the 2002 MSD driver entered into a joint development project with a portable hard disk manufacturer and the PPC-2003 driver is only available-at a cost-from that company (or free if you buy their USB hard drive).

Pocket PC USB host capability hasn't caught on yet. To date only Toshiba and Casio have marketed PPCs with it. Casio no longer supports the PPC in the US, and as most Toshiba owners have discovered, Toshiba might just as well say the same.

Thinkingmandavid
10-16-2003, 01:13 PM
I have seen the expansion pack, I think it used to be 99.00 so it has gone down in price. I remember when the e740 came out. Are you taking al of this equipment with you for work or what?

PetiteFlower
10-17-2003, 05:15 AM
I think the e310 had a usb host port on the cradle, maybe they got them confused? Or maybe I'm just wrong :)

Thinkingmandavid
10-17-2003, 12:33 PM
I dont remember the 310 having that, mmmm, maybe i am wrong :wink:
I thought it all started with the e740...

newst
10-17-2003, 03:40 PM
None of the Toshiba's had a USB port on the cradle. In fact, one of their problems was that you couldn't use the cradle if you wanted to use USB because the cradle covered the access to the USB port.

It was the Casio E-200 that had a USB port built in to the cradle.