View Full Version : File Sync, Unresolved Item

Andrew Jones
10-15-2003, 01:08 PM
I'm using an xda, PPC 2002. Desktop is WIN2k with ActiveSync 3.7.1. If I check 'Files' in ActiveSync no folder is created on my desktop, although it exists within My Documents on the PC. Contents of this folder sync perfectly onto the PPC. However I get an error message indicating 1 unresolved item next to 'Files' in ActiveSync once it's all finished. Selecting 'Resolve items...' does not cure it. All I get is an error message on the desktop saying 'Synchronisation cannot be completed because a file cannot be synchronised with your mobile device. Close all programs on your mobile device and this computer, and synchronise again.'. Needless to say I've tried that and it makes no difference.

If I remove all files to be synchronised the problem remains.

My PC build is 'locked down' by my employer so it's difficult to uninstall/reinstall anything, but not impossible. PPC is my own, I've tried both soft and hard resets.

Any ideas?

Jason Dunn
10-15-2003, 02:55 PM
If I remove all files to be synchronised the problem remains.

Ok, that's VERY strange - that step usually solves the problem. Are you sure you've moving the files out on the Pocket PC as well? You need to clear out both sides so it will "zero out", then start moving files back in one by one until you find the one that won't sync.

Andrew Jones
10-15-2003, 03:22 PM
Just to be sure I've just been through that again. I 've deleted the file, along with all the sub-folders, on both devices and performed a sync. The file heirarchy has synchronised, the main folder in My Documents has been regenerated. I still have the error.

If I look in ActiveSync under Options, then select Files and review files to be synchronised there are none, but the error message remains and cannot be resolved. I've tried un-checking the 'Files' option in ActiveSync, then turning it back on again after another sync, no change!

By the way, the problem has existed since when I used ActiveSync 3.5, I've been through 3.7 and now 3.7.1 without seeing any improvement.

Jason Dunn
10-15-2003, 03:37 PM
Ouch. If it were me, I'd hard reset the Pocket PC, but that's a little extreme. I wish I had another suggestion for you!

Andrew Jones
10-15-2003, 04:17 PM
Yep. Tried that. No change. Please see my original post. Personally I think it's a PC/ActiveSync problem. The fact that there's no desktop folder created when I choose 'Files' to sync for the first time is a bit worrying.

I guess I'll have to live with it.

Jason Dunn
10-15-2003, 04:29 PM
Yep. Tried that. No change. Please see my original post. Personally I think it's a PC/ActiveSync problem. The fact that there's no desktop folder created when I choose 'Files' to sync for the first time is a bit worrying.

Wow. 8O Ok, I missed that in the first post. It must be ActiveSync then...and short of reformatting your computer, I've never heard of a solution to this problem. <sigh> :|

doogald
10-15-2003, 06:16 PM
Have you tried deleting the partnership from ActiveSync and then recreating it to see if the same thing happens?

If your PC is "locked down" I wonder if somehow the ability to create the synchronization folder is locked down as well?

Andrew Jones
10-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Panic over. Followed all the advice in previous posts, got in a real mess. Took the bold step of removing ActiveSync from the PC through Control Panel. Restarted PC. Reloaded ActiveSync 3.7.1 from Microsoft website. Set the whole thing up again and all is well now.

The lock-down allowed me to install a new version of a program already on the 'approved' list, it's a like for like replacement!

Thanks for all the guidance. Hope my experience benefits others.