View Full Version : Sprite Pocket Backup and 2003

Andrew
10-13-2003, 08:49 AM
Hi,
Im hoping one of you here may be able to help me with a problem that I have. I recently updated my 5450 to Windows Mobile 2003. In doing so, I redownloaded all my apps to make sure I have 2003 compatible versions. So far everything seems to be working fine with the exception of a quirk with pocket backup.
Basically I have the ipaq scheduled to backup at 11:30pm every day, at the moment though this isnt working. The 'procedure' that powers on the ipaq and start the backup doesnt seem to work. At the moment, if I power the Ipaq on, anytime after 11:30, pocket backup starts. If I dont power it on, then it simply doesnt perform the backup.
This is something though that was working under 2002. Have any of you experienced this problem, and solved it? Or is it a known issue that Ive somehow missed?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Andrew

ChristopherTD
10-13-2003, 09:21 AM
There are several threads relating to problems with WM2003 and waking up for alarms.

Sprite released a fixed version of SpriteWakeUpService at http://www.spritesoftware.com/downloads/SpriteWakeUpService.zip which is supposed to fix some of the problems.

Bizarrely this fix is not included in the latest release of Pocket Backup Plus (2.1.3) or at least it asked to overwrite an older copy.

I have installed this, and my iPaq 5550 does indeed seem to wake up for alarms (I haven't tested it with scheduled backups). My previous 5450, which I upgraded to WM2003, is now in limbo awaiting a moment for me to set it up for my wife, and I notice that whenever I turn it on, alarms and reminders suddenly happen. They should have already been triggered, but happen when I manually power it on. I will have to try the fix above on that and see if it works.

Good luck!

Andrew
10-14-2003, 12:28 PM
Thanks a lot for the link, Ill give a try!

Andrew
10-15-2003, 08:35 AM
Unfortunately installing the file you gave me didnt seem to help, I still have the same problems, the ipaq powers off, and the backup doesnt start until I power on the ipaq. :(

Andrew
10-17-2003, 09:02 AM
It seems I need to learn to read:) I went to the sprite site and checked out their support section. There they say that the fix you mentioned, only works for the pocket backup integrated already (installed in rom). For all other versions, a patch is on the way.

So just have to wait for the other patch and for now do it manually I guess. Thanks to all of you for your help though

Andrew

newst
10-17-2003, 03:47 PM
Andrew,

You can still use Pocket Backup Plus successfully with a WM 2003 PPC. You need to uninstall the battery/system monitor and scheduling modules (which load into the PPC as separate programs). It's those modules that cause the conflict with WM 2003. If you can live with using the basic backup program and perform your backups manually it works just fine.

Caveat: This is on a 2215. With another Ipaq it might not work, but it's worth a try.