View Full Version : WM2003 uses more battery??

prismejon
10-12-2003, 07:19 PM
Ok, I recently upgraded my Toshiba E755 from PocketPC 2002 to Windows Mobile 2003. Before I performed the upgrade I used SPB Benchmark (http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/benchmark/index.html) to have some numbers to compare the two OSs. After having finshed all the benchmarks with Pocket PC 2002, I performed a hard reset and installed Windows Mobile 2003. Then I ran SPB Benchmark on the new OS. Almost all the numbers showed improvements, but these are the results of the battery test:

PocketPC 2002: 3 h. 30 min.
http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~markiewi/tmp/batteryppc2002.gif

Windows Mobile 2003: 2 h. 7 min.
http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~markiewi/tmp/batterywm2003.gif

8O 8O 8O

At first I didn't believe it.. But the difference is VERY noticable for my daily use: normally a day with much use (playing mp3s for several hours with screen of, some games and a little WiFi) would result in at least 35% left. Now my battery runs empty almost everyday :( ! Even if I turn the screen light on the lowest and the CPU at 200Mhz it gets empty.

What can be the reason for that much higher battery consumption?? This really criples the use of my PPC. All help is much appreciated!

P.S. I removed and put the battery on again before I did the first hard reset to check if backup battery worked (it did). But I don't believe that is the cause. I also removed the battery after I noticed the problem to check if there was dirt or something under it, but it was clean.. A hard reset with WM 2003 installed didn't help either.

Bob Anderson
10-12-2003, 07:51 PM
I'm not terribly familiar with Toshiba devices, but could it be that in PPC2003 the OS is constantly trying to locate wireless networks to connect to?

My understanding of "zero configuration WIFI" is that the 802.11 transmitter/receiver is running all the time, looking for networks.

On my Ipaq 5455, in PPC 2002, I can turn 802.11 off manually... which greatly extends my battery life. If you aren't turning it off in PPC 2003 (aka Windows Mobile 2003) that could explain the difference (and from my understanding is that the default is that 802.11 is "on" so that zero config. can "find" hotspots..)

Again.. just a bit of speculation here. I can't imagine the OS using up that much more battery power (nearly 33% based on your tests.)

prismejon
10-12-2003, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that is the main cause. The battery drains much faster than it did before even if I have the WiFi turned off (both via software and the hardware swicth that the e755 has).

Server
10-12-2003, 11:26 PM
Try the benchmark again with the following changes:

- TURN OFF Ir BEAM Receive
(Start/Settings/Connections/iR Beam)
- Move the Standby Slider to the far LEFT
for maximum running time and less standby time.
- Mute all sound events
- delete any appointments/reminders
- Remove ALL CF/SD cards

If you still get poor battery life then perhaps you
stumbled on yet another WM shortfall. For now, you
could try to follow suggested battery saving measures
while using your PPC:

1. DIM DOWN the screen brightness
(as much as you can tolerate)

2. TURN OFF iR BEAM Receive
(Start/Settings/Connections/iR Beam)

3. Mute ALL Sound events

4. Stop Wifi/BT radios (shut down icons)

4. XSCALE down your CPU 50%

5. Screen shutdown after x seconds enabled

6. Remove ALL CF/SD cards where possible

7. Utilize Standby Settings
Standby Settings:
Far left = more running time, less standby time
Far Right = More standby time, less running time

8. Turn unit OFF ;)

MitchellO
10-13-2003, 02:31 AM
Doesn't the Toshiba e750/755 already come loaded with the Windows Mobile 2003 software? Isn't that one of the updated parts from the e740? Are you sure you don't have a e740, because the e750/755 come loaded with the WM2003 ROM.

If the battery life is not as good as you hoped, you might try getting a second battery. Granted, this doesn't fix the actual problem, but it is a good way to have power when you need it.

Good Luck with the battery problem.

Jason Dunn
10-13-2003, 05:10 AM
Very interesting - keep investigating! I'm 99% sure you'll find it's a Toshiba hardware or driver issue rather than an OS issue...but this is the first I've heard of it, that's for sure.

prismejon
10-13-2003, 09:47 AM
Try the benchmark again with the following changes...

That wouldn't make the benchmark comparable with the one I did with PocketPC 2002. The tests were identical, except for maybe an appointment or two.

prismejon
10-13-2003, 09:53 AM
Doesn't the Toshiba e750/755 already come loaded with the Windows Mobile 2003 software? Isn't that one of the updated parts from the e740? Are you sure you don't have a e740, because the e750/755 come loaded with the WM2003 ROM.

The e750/e755 units sold before WM2003 was released came with PocketPC 2002 installed. Toshiba have released an upgrade for these units. If I didn't have an e755, then the upgrade would most certainly make my unit totally unusable.

If the battery life is not as good as you hoped, you might try getting a second battery. Granted, this doesn't fix the actual problem, but it is a good way to have power when you need it.

I've got a battery extender, but it's annoying to have to bring it with me to school when I didn't have to before..

Good Luck with the battery problem.

Thanks! :D

MitchellO
10-13-2003, 11:34 AM
Sorry, I thought Windows Mobile was standard on the e750/755. Never mind. I do agree with you though; a spare battery is not a compensation for a good battery that works like two.

Hope you figure it out!

piperpilot
10-13-2003, 12:31 PM
I've noticed the same thing with my iPAQ 5455. After doing the WM2003 upgrade, I don't have nearly the battery life that I did with PPC 2002. Of course, this is only anecdotal evidence as I have never run any benchmarking tests, but the difference has been quite noticeable.

ChristopherTD
10-13-2003, 01:00 PM
I've noticed the same thing with my iPAQ 5455. After doing the WM2003 upgrade, I don't have nearly the battery life that I did with PPC 2002. Of course, this is only anecdotal evidence as I have never run any benchmarking tests, but the difference has been quite noticeable.

I didn't notice any real difference when I upgraded my 5450.

Did you disable all the things that can conserve power (they will have been turned on again by the upgrade).

i.e.

Turning off WiFi and Bluetooth (easy)
Turning off IR (receive all incoming beams)
Setting the standby time down to 12 hours in power settings
Lowering backlight

There are probably more, but I can't recall them now. I thought the battery life under WM2003 was the same, though I have a vague thought that WiFi battery life was worse.

There are so many variables involved it is hard to be sure, especially as some non WM2003 compatible software can drain the battery by being over zealous in monitoring the battery!

piperpilot
10-13-2003, 01:16 PM
I did all of the above, and while it made a slight difference, it still has a noticeably shorter battery life. You're right about WIFI. It really chews up battery life.

ChristopherTD
10-13-2003, 01:19 PM
Do you notice it shorter with WiFi off?

I mostly use mine while commuting (reading ebooks) and both radios would be turned off for that. Fortunately my commute is not so long as to really notice a low battery.

piperpilot
10-13-2003, 01:25 PM
Do you notice it shorter with WiFi off?

Yes, although it's not as pronounced. Back in September when we lost power for several days because of Hurrican Isabel, I played a lot of Gamebox Solitaire and 4Pinball games to amuse myself. Despite playing for a long time, battery usage was suprising low and as a result, I had no problem making it through the power outage with my main battery and my spare. Now, after doing the upgrade, I drain the battery much faster playing the same games. Like I said, it's all anectdotal evidence, but it is noticeable.

prismejon
10-13-2003, 04:02 PM
7. Utilize Standby Settings
Standby Settings:
Far left = more running time, less standby time
Far Right = More standby time, less running time

I don't think my Toshiba has this option.. At least I can't find it under any of the Power settings.

Dave Beauvais
10-13-2003, 06:20 PM
I don't think my Toshiba has this option.. At least I can't find it under any of the Power settings.
That's correct; it's an iPAQ thing.

I've also noticed much shorter battery life on my upgraded h5455. I have beam receive turned off, never use Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi is turned off when not in use. I didn't do any tests prior to the upgrade, but like piperpilot, I've noticed a dramatic decrease in battery life during normal operation with or without WLAN use.

--Dave

PetiteFlower
10-13-2003, 06:28 PM
Nope not me, I didn't even upgrade to 2003 :)

piperpilot
10-13-2003, 06:29 PM
I think he meant me; another "P"

Dave Beauvais
10-13-2003, 06:31 PM
Nope not me, I didn't even upgrade to 2003 :)
D'oh! :oops: Corrected... Sorry you two. ;)

--Dave

piperpilot
10-13-2003, 06:34 PM
At first, I thought the problem might be Battery Pack having to "re-learn" my usage patterns, but now I don't think that's the case as I am having to recharge after much less use.

Jason Dunn
10-13-2003, 10:22 PM
I'll see if I can do some tests on my Dell Axim when the time comes to upgrade...

PoweriPaq
10-13-2003, 11:28 PM
I thought this was happening as well, so I disabled anything that runs automatically, but it still waste battery faster than before.

reydiodj
10-14-2003, 12:08 AM
- curious to know if on the e755 test model, which ROM version is running...reason being is that on my e755 which was originally loaded with 2k2 and then upgraded to 2k3, I've actually hadimproved battery life...however I am running the v2.0006.0409 ROM while others have v2.0009.0409.

prismejon
10-14-2003, 09:02 AM
- curious to know if on the e755 test model, which ROM version is running...reason being is that on my e755 which was originally loaded with 2k2 and then upgraded to 2k3, I've actually hadimproved battery life...however I am running the v2.0006.0409 ROM while others have v2.0009.0409.

It is v2.0009.0409

ChristopherTD
10-14-2003, 09:16 AM
At first, I thought the problem might be Battery Pack having to "re-learn" my usage patterns, but now I don't think that's the case as I am having to recharge after much less use.

You might like to try without Battery Pack loaded. It has been "fingered" in the past for using up resources and power while monitoring. Could be worth a try - I use PocketMon from Sprite as my battery monitor and it seems to display sensible values. I never got anything sensible from BP.

prismejon
10-14-2003, 03:44 PM
When I tried to do a soft reset, using this shutdown app (http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=6666), to check my ROM version it did a hard reset 8O !!

:soapbox:

Strange, the app worked fine the last couple of days..

piperpilot
10-14-2003, 03:48 PM
I use PocketMon from Sprite as my battery monitor and it seems to display sensible values. I never got anything sensible from BP.

Thanks Christopher. I'm going to give it a try.

Skoobouy
10-26-2003, 02:41 PM
I'm just bumping this old thread because it was never resolved. I'm interested in this question, too.

Thinkingmandavid
10-26-2003, 02:59 PM
I am glad you brought the thread back, I dont see where he states he found the problem with the battery life.
Neither is there sufficient evidence, in my opinion that it was wm2003. Mine came with it so I couldnt make any fair comparisons. I havent noticed anything, except when I play games of course uses juice :wink:

prismejon
10-26-2003, 09:48 PM
I am glad you brought the thread back, I dont see where he states he found the problem with the battery life.
Neither is there sufficient evidence, in my opinion that it was wm2003. Mine came with it so I couldnt make any fair comparisons. I havent noticed anything, except when I play games of course uses juice :wink:

The only changed I made between my two benchmarks was the upgrade from PocketPC 2002 to Windows Mobile 2003. A reduction in battery life of 1 h. 20 min. is quite subtansial...

prismejon
10-26-2003, 09:51 PM
I have installed Windows Mobile 2003 with ROM v2.0009.0409.
I've been told that there also is a ROM v2.0006.0409 ROM. If anyone can send me this ROM please contact me! It would be really interesting to do an identical benchmark with that ROM version.