View Full Version : 2215 and Widcom Bluetooth adapter for Shuttle systems

Dazbot
10-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Yesterday my bluetooth adapter arrived I installed it both devices see each other, I have managed to establise a FTP session between them from both sides and copied file both ways.

That is the only thing that works, I can't get it to activesync or connect to the network to work although they do connect they don't do anything

When trying to use activesync it stops at the Connecting To Host screen, activesync on the desktop says an unknown device is trying to connect.
The Pocket PC isn't recieving an data but is sending, the desktop is recieving data but not responding

When I try the network access it gets to the Bluetooth Null Modem screen but can't get any closer, the connectivity icon on the iPAQ continues to try and connect but with no success.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Dazbot
10-12-2003, 07:32 PM
I guess nobody knows what I'm missing.

They can pair fine but activesync doesn't know that the device trying to connect is a Pocket PC and doesn't talk to it.

Sven Johannsen
10-12-2003, 08:28 PM
Don't know anything about your particular setup, but I am running a Billionton USB BT with my 2215. To get the AS to work I had to determine what the serial comm port was for the BT adapter (mine is Comm 4) and set that in the AS connections screen for the serial port. After that it worked fine. This is the PC side setting. It doesn't matter what the PPC port # is. It wasn't a first time thing. I had to pair the devices, there was a dialog box that said a device was trying to connect, was it OK and should it always be OK for this device. It took a couple of responses from me the first time, but after that it seems consistant. I expect each desktop BT implementation is a bit different, unfortunately. (It certainly was different for my Ambicom USB BT thing)

On the 2215 you do need to use the wizard to set up an AS connection/profile and then use it in BT manager to start the AS session. It doesn't work to go to AS and hit Sync. Doesn't work that way on my Dell with Socket BT card either. You have to initiate the sync from the BT manager.

Dazbot
10-12-2003, 10:35 PM
Answers inline

Don't know anything about your particular setup, but I am running a Billionton USB BT with my 2215. To get the AS to work I had to determine what the serial comm port was for the BT adapter (mine is Comm 4) and set that in the AS connections screen for the serial port. After that it worked fine. This is the PC side setting. It doesn't matter what the PPC port # is. It wasn't a first time thing. I had to pair the devices, there was a dialog box that said a device was trying to connect, was it OK and should it always be OK for this device. It took a couple of responses from me the first time, but after that it seems consistant. I expect each desktop BT implementation is a bit different, unfortunately. (It certainly was different for my Ambicom USB BT thing)

I've set it up for the correct com port (Com 5), however, it asks and asks and continues to ask if it is a Pocket PC and whether I want to retry or disconnect the port.

On the 2215 you do need to use the wizard to set up an AS connection/profile and then use it in BT manager to start the AS session. It doesn't work to go to AS and hit Sync. Doesn't work that way on my Dell with Socket BT card either. You have to initiate the sync from the BT manager.

I've set up the Activesync over BT from the BT manager, it creates the option to ActiveSync with SHUTTLE , which I double tap it, the desktop serial connection changes to a connected icon to show its seen the iPAQ.

I can see the signal strength is set at Just Right.

This is the first time I've used bluetooth and the only thing I could get working was the file transfer option which works perfectly :D

I've now tried clicking the Retry button about 10 times with no luck. I've even upgraded to 3.7.1 but I don't think it will make any difference.

freitasm
10-12-2003, 10:54 PM
Have a look in our Bluetooth Guides on Geekzone - follow the steps one at a time, don't skip any. Don't assume your configuration is done until you reach the end of the guide.

Dazbot
10-13-2003, 01:06 AM
Have a look in our Bluetooth Guides on Geekzone - follow the steps one at a time, don't skip any. Don't assume your configuration is done until you reach the end of the guide.

After the first attempt I followed those guides, but it made no difference. The devices pair fine and I can establish a file tranfer between them, but Activesync doesn't want to play ball.

Dazbot
10-13-2003, 01:07 AM

After the first attempt I followed those guides, but it made no difference. The devices pair fine and I can establish a file tranfer between them, but Activesync doesn't want to play ball.

freitasm
10-13-2003, 02:11 AM

Other devices already using the COM ports? Personal firewalls enabled?

Dazbot
10-13-2003, 02:36 PM
Other devices already using the COM ports? Personal firewalls enabled?

I'm behind a router and nothing is installed on the COM5 port. My hardware modem is on COM4.

Dazbot
10-13-2003, 05:24 PM
Oops, looks like I missed an important step in the Pairing Devices, I didn't read the part about the 4 digit number. I used letters instead :oops:

I've now managed to get Activesync running and can access the Internet, and now that I've configured TCP for the bluetooth LAN and the iPAQs Bluetooth Null Modem I can access the network.

Any more ideas?