View Full Version : mNotes sync via wi-fi? help needed.

Mark_Venture
10-12-2003, 01:01 AM
I sync my iPAQ with two PCs. Home PC and Work Laptop. My home PC via Wi-Fi or the USB cradle. Since I didn't want to carry the cradle back and forth, I choose to sync with my work laptop via IR.

I've been using Commontime mNotes (trial included on the CD that came with my iPAQ) to sync with Lotus notes on my work laptop. It works fine over IR at the office.

Now, I have the laptop at home connected to my home lan. I tried syncing with it over Wi-Fi.

While ActiveSync connected and updated the normal stuff as expected, mNotes didn't. Trying to replicate manually it pops up a message saying "Connecting USB" then gives an error OS Error: 619. This is even with ActiveSync still "connected"

In mNotes on the iPAQ, I go Location -> Edit Current it is set as... Name: HomeLan, Connection: ActiveSync, Host: TPT23, Port: 603, VPN: None.. Choices for the Connection value are ActiveSync, IR ActiveSync, and NetworkConnection.

Any suggestions?

Anthony Caruana
10-17-2003, 01:58 PM
While ActiveSync connected and updated the normal stuff as expected, mNotes didn't. Trying to replicate manually it pops up a message saying "Connecting USB" then gives an error OS Error: 619. This is even with ActiveSync still "connected"

The Error 619 comes from the Commontime mNotes desktop server either not running or incorrectly configured in some way.

Are you sure it's running on the laptop when you are at home. Also, is the laptop connected to the office LAN as mNotes works based on the settings in your location documents in Notes.

Mark_Venture
10-18-2003, 04:13 PM
Let me clarify a little... The following works great...

For my Home PC the iPAQ syncs to Outlook via Wi-Fi. I just come home, turn on the iPAQ with the Wi-Fi card inserted, open Active Sync on the iPAQ. I make sure under TOOLS -> OPTIONS says the correct name under "Use this PC:" and adjust as needed, then click "Sync." It does it thing and finishes successfully. (mNotes is not used here).

For the Work Laptop the iPAQ syncs to Lotus Notes via IR. I point the iPAQ's IR port at the laptop's IR Port. Once WindowsXP on the laptop says "Another computer is nearby...." I open ActiveSync on the iPAQ and click TOOLS -> Connect via IR. mNotes syncs its stuff with Lotus Notes just fine. (I don't have Outlook on my work laptop).

The problem came when I attached the Laptop to my home lan. I assumed I could sync with it via Wi-Fi- the same way I did with the HomePC, just make sure ActiveSync was set for the correct name in "Use this PC:"

That is when I ran into the problem.

The Error 619 comes from the Commontime mNotes desktop server either not running or incorrectly configured in some way.

Are you sure it's running on the laptop when you are at home.

Its running in the system tray at all times. Double Clicking on the system tray it pops up and Taks Status says "Cadenza Server: Running."

I can still sync via IR fine.

Maybe my problem is... Is there something that must be done to "configure" mNotes for Wi-Fi? I've look through the Help on the local PC, Pocket PC, and downloading the user's manual from their web site and didn't see anything about it. Maybe I'm missing something?

I did try editing the location in mNotes on the iPAQ via.. LOCATIONS -EDIT CURRENT... and set "Connection:" to <ActiveSync>. At work, I have it set as <IR ActiveSync>.

Also, is the laptop connected to the office LAN as mNotes works based on the settings in your location documents in Notes.

Since I work at a customer site, rather than my company's office, I use VPN to connect to the Domino server. As such, sync with Server would be too slow, so one day I set Lotus Notes' location to ISLAND (Disconnected) and copied the Notes.INI from the c:\notes dir to MyDocs. I then tell mNotes to use the Notes.INI in MyDocs... That way no matter how I have Lotus Notes configured (what location I pick) when I sync, mNotes always syncs with the local copies, not the server, because ISLAND(Disconnnected) is specified in the MyDocs\Notes.ini file that mNotes uses, even though Lotus Notes is running using the location as listed in the Notes\Notes.ini file. (this is a trick I used back when I had my RIM857 and intellisync).