View Full Version : How I modified my Stowaway Keyboard Adapter to fit my Ipaq 2215

lawinesap
10-12-2003, 12:03 AM
Are there many people out there as frustrated as I have been trying to find a modified adapter for their Stowaway Keyboard so that it fits their Ipaq 2215? I even emailed Targus and they recommended that I buy the wireless keyboard from them. Well the connection is the same as the 3900, 3800 series, etc. and I thought I would do some "trimming" on mine today to see if I could get it the Ipaq to fit in that little adapter on the keyboard. Well, what I did works just perfect so I'll post here in case it might help someone else. I just couldn't see spending another $100 or so on a good keyboard when I had this one that I used for my Ipaq 3970 and it has always performed flawlessly.

Well, here's what I did. I used a coping saw to cut off the edges on each side of the adapter so that would allow the Ipaq to sit in it correctly(the only problem with the connection is the upward sweep of each edge of the adapter and the less curved edge of the 2215 in comparison to the 3800, 3900 series, etc.). After that I filed down the rough edges the best I could. Then I used a small artist's paintbrush to put some flexible rubber coating on each side(3 coats). This rubber stuff is called Plastidip and I bought it at Lowes. Worked like a charm! And it's a lot cheaper than buying another keyboard and a lot quicker than waiting until they come out with another adapter for the 2215(which may or may not happen!!) And also don't forget to upgrade your driver for the Windows Mobile 2003 at www.thinkoutside.com.

Hope this helps someone! :D :D

Martin I Pettinger
10-12-2003, 10:21 PM
-
Thanks for this. Are you describing the adaptor for the 3100,3600 and 3700 Targus Keyboard with an adaptor for the 3800,3900 series.

I am thinking of upgrading my iPAQ 3850 to a iPAQ 2215 and assumed maybe wrongly that I could just install the new drivers!
-
Martin

lawinesap
10-13-2003, 01:57 AM
I thought the same thing-that I could just use that extra little adapter that I got for my Ipaq 3970 and upgrade the driver. Well, that won't work. The adapter won't fit the 2215 without a modification. I looked everywhere on how to modify it and couldn't find the info even on www.thinkoutside.com. All you get there is that a minor "modification is necessary" but they don't tell you how to do it(at least I couldn't find it).

The problem is that the bottom of the 3800, 3900, etc. series is more rounded than the bottom of the 2215 and when you set the 2215 into the adapter it won't go all the way down to fully connect. So what I did just shaves the curved up edges off. There probably is a better way to do it-I'm certainly no modification genius but at least without those "curved up" edges it seems to work. I was afraid that that little adapter wouldn't work after I "widdled" on it but it seems to work fine and I don't believe in spending a lot of extra money when you don't have to!
Oh, that is the right keyboard-the Targus Stowaway with the adapter for the 3800 and 3900 series. That extra little adapter is the problem.
Glad to help!

Deborah :D