View Full Version : Synchronise one PC with two PDA using outlook

GreenBoy2
10-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Hi

I somebody may be able to help me here.

I have a PC with Outlook XP on it. The PC is set up with user profiles for me and my wife and our kids.

I have an ipaq h2210 and She has an Fujitsu Pocket Loox.

We have common contacts and our own business related contacts and both want our own ndiaried to be synched - again with common and own information.

How do I set up my PC / PDA's to do this?

Ive tried several things and am making a hash of it.

Any help or pointers to good clear web pages appreciated.

GreenBoy :frusty:

Thinkingmandavid
10-12-2003, 03:19 AM
MMM, I used to use 2 pda's and I had to put each pda on its own comm port. I also remember a similar question being asked on this forum and I think there is also a software available that helps wiht that, but I may be mistaken and have that confused with something else.
ONce the computer knows what comm port to connect to it SHOULD sync the exact same info that is in outook.
What have you exactly tried doing thus far? By the way, cool for your wife getting a Fujitus product, as everyone knows here I think they are the bomb!:)

looneytoone
10-12-2003, 03:48 PM
I posted this same question awhile ago and really did not get an answer that helped (a first).

My personal solution was to just have one computer profile and sync both of our PDA's to this profile. I began to use categories more and more. Now I sync only the contacts and tasks in my categories and she does the same.

Its limited but I too am looking for a better solution.

GreenBoy2
10-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Ok - thanks for the responces

What i have done thus far is the following

In Control Panel I went to Mail and set up personal folders for my wife and myself and a shared folde that is to be used for commen infomation - contact of friend and family. doctors etc.

This means that when you start outlook it asks for a profile and we cna choose her or me.

When outlook is up and running you can slap your PDA into the docking station and this then syncs on your profile.

In both mine and her profile I have added the Shared inbox. This is visible for both of us.

All of the above works fine except that the synchronisation does not collect the shared file contents.

FYI www.slipstick.com has some good info on this

The bit I cant get to work is for eith of the PDA's to pick up both the his or hers profiles and the shared folder .

This whereI need help.

Many thanks

GreenBoy

Thinkingmandavid
10-13-2003, 03:53 AM
I am not sure why it wouldnt sync both. Have you attempted to search for software at Handango.com to see if there is anything close to doing what you want? Also attempt to post on other boards to see if someone else has experience in this as well:)

GreenBoy2
10-20-2003, 10:35 PM
Hi all

Before I go ahead and try this - it could take some time to sort through all my contacts, could any body else who has done this let me know if they have had success with the following (or found any pitfalls! )
My needs are as follows:-

I run XP Home at home with Outlook 2002.

I have an HP 2210 and my wife has a Fujitsu Pocket Loox.

At work I have XP Pro, with Outlook 2002 but my company wont allow me to install anything other than Activesync 3.7

So waht i want to do it allow my wife and I to share some contacts and appointments but otherwise keep our work stuff sepereate when synching on our home machine.

I also do not want my personal stuff ending up on my work PC.

I have had a look at Activesync which allows you to only synchronise certain ontacts or certain catagories.

Is it realy as easy as that?

Tell my machine only to synch those catagoreis Im interested in and the same for my wife and then at work do like wise cutting out my personal catagories?

Sounds too simple considering every thing ive read so far.

Any comments please

GreenBoy