View Full Version : Thera vs I700 vs ?

gai-jin
10-11-2003, 04:55 PM
I've got verizon phone svc. Under a new (2 month old) contract. Wife lost her phone. bought a thera (before reading advice here against it), gave her my old phone. (Thera 200, cancel her old contract 175, total cost 375) As with the advice I received, it's not all I hoped it would be. Can't afford an i700, but am considering on anyway. Advice?

I'm particularly interested in battery life? How does the i700 hold up?

If I return the thera for the i700, I'm still stuck with either an extra $20 under 2 year contract (shared phone plan) or a 175 contract cancellation fee.

I currently have a h5455, with lots of accessories. it's about 4 months old. (No, not even that). Could hopefully sell on ebay for 400ish with kbd, pcmcia sleve, dual pcmcia sleeve, cf 10bT nic, cf-pcmcia adapter. Yes?

So, i could buy the i700, have it charged to my phone bill, sell the h5455 on ebay, use the money to offset most of the i700 cost. Yes?

What would I lose going from the hp to the samsung pda?

Thanks!

Gai-jin

Janak Parekh
10-11-2003, 06:10 PM
I've got verizon phone svc. Under a new (2 month old) contract. Wife lost her phone. bought a thera (before reading advice here against it), gave her my old phone. (Thera 200, cancel her old contract 175, total cost 375) As with the advice I received, it's not all I hoped it would be. Can't afford an i700, but am considering on anyway. Advice?
I'll have a (very detailed) review up in about one week... in the meantime,

I'm particularly interested in battery life? How does the i700 hold up?
Much better than the Thera. The i700 comes with two batteries: a "standard" and an "extended" battery. The standard may last you about 2 hours of PDA usage, an hour of talk time, some Express Network use and standby for 24 hours. The extended battery is much better -- I'd say you could probably get 6+ hours of PDA use, 2-3 hours talk time and standby for about 48 hours. (Of course, it's really hard to measure battery life on a Pocket PC phone, since it depends on how you use it -- for example, less PDA use means more standby time.) The standard battery is a bit worse than the HTC GSM Pocket PC Phone, and the extended battery is a bit better. I personally use only the extended battery.

If I return the thera for the i700, I'm still stuck with either an extra $20 under 2 year contract (shared phone plan) or a 175 contract cancellation fee.
Why? How long have you had the Thera? Isn't there a return policy?

So, i could buy the i700, have it charged to my phone bill, sell the h5455 on ebay, use the money to offset most of the i700 cost. Yes?
Possibly. I'm not an ebay expert.

What would I lose going from the hp to the samsung pda?
No sleeve expandability, no built-in WiFi or Bluetooth (although the i700 has an SDIO slot), slower processor, slightly smaller screen (although I like its colors better). In turn, you gain voice, Express Network/QNC data, a toy camera. Overall, I love the i700. :)

A third possibility is to get a phone that you cable with your iPAQ...

--janak

gai-jin
10-11-2003, 11:01 PM
Long story short, I have a new contract w/ VZW. My wife lost her phone, so I'm buying a phone to replace hers. my options seem to be:

Add new phone as 3rd line, pay extra 20/mo for life of contract
add new phone as 3rd line, pay 175 to cancel extra contract
pay 'full retail' jacked up price for new phone
add new pda phone, as well as pay full price for a cheapie phone, I get PDA and 'normal' cell phone, she gets cheapie phone. :)

Gai-jin

gai-jin
10-13-2003, 11:08 PM
*bump*

Any other feedback?