View Full Version : Cant Download Free Microsoft Ebooks

GreenBoy2
10-11-2003, 03:26 PM
Hi Everybody

I have recently (last 2 months) come to owning an h2210 and think its fantastic. and am trying to make as much use of it as possible.

So one of the things Im keen on doing is reading ebooks - Ive posted on this before.

I have just recently tried to download the free books from Microsoft (well its always nice to get something extra in return for all the licences Ive baught from them over the years!!! ) unfortunately Ive had no success.

I got in touch with microsfot on their assisted support pages and got the following responce.

Hello GreenBoy,
This is Biju working with Microsoft Product Support Services, I will be assiting you with your issue in Microsoft reader .As i understand when you are trying to activate reader it ask you to udate to latest version and when you click OK it says you have the latest version already and then it place you in a endless loop. Being a Reader user myself i can unserstand how frustating this can be, David yhis issue can be caused due to Multiple reason and i am stating all of them below, try these suggestion
CAUSE
This behavior can occur if either of the following conditions is true:
You are currently signed in to a Microsoft Passport account.
You connect to the Internet through a firewall or proxy server.
Your Temporary Internet files or Cookies have become corrupt.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, use the following methods in the order in which they are presented.
Delete Your Password Cookie
You may have to delete your Passport cookie to activate Microsoft Reader. To remove Passport cookies, follow these steps:

Internet Explorer
On the Tools menu, then Internet Options.
Under Temporary Internet files, click Settings.
Click the View Files button.
Right click and delete the following files:

[YourName]@passport.com
[YourName]@passporttest.com
Cookie:[your name]@das.microsoft.com/
Cookie:[your name]@passport.com/
Cookie:[your name]@passport.com/ppsecure

Close all your browser windows, and reopen your browser to:
http://das.microsoft.com/activate

Netscape Navigator
Close all Netscape instances.
Use Notepad to edit the following:

[Netscape Install Drive]:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\[your name]\cookies.txt.

Remove all lines that start with "passport.com" and "das.microsoft.com."
Reopen your browser to:http://das.microsoft.com/activate
If the issue continues to occur, proceed to the next method.
Temporarily Bypass Your Firewall or Proxy Server Settings
To temporarily bypass your firewall or proxy server settings:
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Internet or Internet Options.
Click the Connections tab.
Click LAN Settings.
Click to clear the Automatically detect settings check box, and then click OK.
Click OK.
Activate Microsoft Reader.

If you activate Microsoft Reader successfully, repeat the previous steps to restore the original setting of the Automatically detect settings check box.

If the issue is not resolved, contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) or system administrator to inquire about how to temporarily bypass any firewalls or proxy servers for your Internet connection. After you activate Microsoft Reader, restore the original firewall or proxy server settings for your Internet connection.
Clear Out Temporary Internet Files and Delete All Cookies
Follow the steps below to clear out Temporary Internet Files, and delete all cookies.
Right-click on the Internet Explorer Icon on your desktop and click Properties.
Click the Delete Files button, and click to check the box to delete Offline Files. Click OK. NOTE: This may take a while.
Click Settings, click View Files, click Edit, click All, click File, and then click Delete.
Close this window, and click OK on the Settings Window.
Click the Clear History Button, and then click Yes to clear your history.
Now connect to http://www.passport.com, log in, then log out again so you are not signed in to Passport. Next, open http://reader.microsoft.com/activate in Internet Explorer, and go through the process to activate Reader again

Please do inform us if this does not resolve your issue . I will be waiting for your response
Thanks
Biju
Microsoft Product Support Services

So Ive tried all this - except talking to my ISP as I dont think they use any kind of fire wall! ?!

Any way still no luck.

Does any body out there have any bright ideas?

Many thanks

GreenBoy

carrigaline
10-11-2003, 04:13 PM
I had a similar difficulty but with my situation the ebooks started to download but when they got to say 95% done the download finished and the ebook was not on my computer - if this is what you are experiencing then there is a resolution on the reader site for this problem - you just change the way you download i.e. you choose where to save the file and also you choose to either open or not at the end of the save.

Sorry if this does not answer the problem that you are having....

dirtminer
10-11-2003, 04:15 PM
If I understand your problem, the "update" pages go into an infinite loop.

This happened on my notebook (using WinME).

My solution was to forget about the update path, and go directly to the activation by saying "No" to the question asking if Microsoft could have free access to my machine. Then select Activate from the next page.