View Full Version : You Should Watch This Show

Kati Compton
10-11-2003, 04:54 AM
I love this show. It's called "Good Eats", and it's on Food Network.

I don't care if you hate cooking - try watching this show at least twice (to make sure you don't see a "bad" episode and give up).

It's awesome. He uses welding gloves while frying. Cooks in terra-cotta plant pots. Smokes bacon in a school locker. Rolls out a pie crust using a rolling pin, rubber bands, dental floss, and a pie cutter.

Frequently the science behind the cooking is discussed.

Puppets are sometimes employed in demonstrations. The discussion of unsaturated vs saturated fats was fantastic.

http://www.foodtv.com/food/show_ea

I love this show. I may not cook what he makes, but it's sure fun to watch.

PetiteFlower
10-11-2003, 05:07 AM
I LOVE this show!

He's like Mr. Wizard with food!

I am thrilled it's on every night now. He's SO much cooler then Emeril.

It's a very "guy" kind of cooking show, he talks about science a lot, and gets right down to the basics in a very clear way. Plus a lot of his recipes are really innovative!

Food Network, every night at 11:30(eastern time anyway) in reruns, Wednesdays at 9 are new(or newer) episodes :)

Kati Compton
10-11-2003, 05:43 AM
I like when he grills tuna on the tower-thing you use to light the charcoal for the grill....

Video11
10-11-2003, 12:45 PM
Yep, this is a great show. There was an episode on the other night in which the whole show was a take off on Steven King's Misery, complete with an 'I'm your biggest fan' character. Hilarious.

stitics
10-11-2003, 12:47 PM
I really like this show as well, and watch it (almost) every night. I always describe it as "the Bill Nye the Science Guy" of cooking shows.

dh
10-11-2003, 01:08 PM
This is one of the small group of TV shows that I like. Alton Brown is a funny guy. I have no idea if he knows anything about cooking, but the show is always entertaining.

Lagasse on the other hand seems to just want to yell louder all the time and has become a real bore.

Actually, what I like best about Food Network is their website. It's my first stop if I'm looking for recipies.

PetiteFlower
10-11-2003, 08:36 PM
I'll go to TVFN's web site on occasion but my first stop for recipes is www.cooksillustrated.com. Best cooking magazine ever produced. Most of the library on the site requires a subscription, but that doesn't bother me, I subscribe to the magazine too. But there is free stuff there, and you can buy a 1 month subscription for like $3 just to test it out and see if you like it. I love their stuff though, it's all so well tested that I've NEVER had an issue with their recipes not coming out exactly as they're supposed to, unlike the recipes from Bon Appetite and Food Network and everywhere else which usually require a bit of tweaking.