View Full Version : Hint of future PDA shape?

SandersP
10-10-2003, 04:49 PM
Here is an amazing phone done by Au. What strikes me most is the thinnest. It has camera, wireless tranceiver, slot, and no doubt as big of a brain as mid range PDA.

Imagine if somebody makes h5550 in that size! woo hooo...

http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/cda/parts/image_for_link/55025-15900-4-2.html

http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/cda/article/news_toppage/15900.html

PetiteFlower
10-10-2003, 06:57 PM
That looks like a phone, not a PDA. The screen is way too small to be a good pda, and it looks too breakable to be a good phone! Thinness is great and all but if I can't put it in my back pocket because it will break if I sit on it, it's no good to me.

Dave Beauvais
10-10-2003, 09:08 PM
That is truly one of the most hideous-looking designs I have ever seen in my life. Maybe it's a cultural or age thing, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy a phone that looked like that. If that's the shape of things to come, I'll be sticking with my old StarTAC, thank you very much. ;)

--Dave

JustinGTP
10-10-2003, 11:16 PM
I think its a nice design, but the colours are outrageous, thats definately a cultral thing. I think that technology is headed in the right direction though.

Here is the page translated:

With au and thickness 11mm tile condition button impressive new terminal " INFOBAR "

The KDDI and Okinawa cellular new terminal " INFOBAR of the straight type where the button of tile condition is impressive with the thickness 11mm (the information bar)" (the Sanyo multimedia Tottori make) sell in November first decade.

As for the INFOBAR, the project " au design project " which can start the fact that the portable telephone which has charm and the idea which so far are not with free approach is proposed in purpose the empty the terminal which appears 1st feature. It was produced the product designer 澤 by the collaboration of Naoto deeply.

You use the magnesium alloy to the body, actualize the thickness 11mm * weight 87g. The square forum and square it is and the big tile key is impressive. EZ application (the BREW) and EZ Nabi, the arrival う it is, in arrival movie correspondence, it loads also the camera. As for letter input the " ATOK for au V2 " is adopted. It corresponds to the arrival melody of maximum of 40 chords.

Continual telephone call time receives in approximately 150 minutes, continuation 待, time approximately 200 hours. As for data folder capacity approximately 3MB, as for BREW data folder capacity it becomes approximately 1.2MB. As for size 42×138×11mm. The color ring designated red as the base, " the NISHIKIGOI ", white and black (checkered pattern) it made the base, " the ICHIMATSU " and the silver were designated as the base, 3 types " of BUILDING " are prepared.

It is deep 澤 Naoto of the product designer. The same person it is the naming parent " of the INFOBAR ",

The terminal color in to be in motif with, the model appearance
In the concert, deeply 澤 it explained the terminal concerning details. As for the same person the former terminal, " the technical aspect has had an influence on terminal design largely ", it does, we assumed the latest INFOBAR is approach from design side conversely. " Until now, while looking at the key, it was good human engineering to operate. But, the Japanese has been accustomed to the touch typing ", it does, we assumed the key like the tile which differs until recently is superior in the touch typing.

You can see the unique aspect even in naming of the body color, but as for this, you say the name which is started calling the nature with the developer was utilized that way. Rather than in the appearance section in the former portable terminal not being utilized, high-level paint technology was used, said that paint is administered even inside the antenna which until recently, could not be painted.

In addition, in the interface aspect, when starting, when the kind of image where the fluorescent light lights up is adopted, the terminal is left, " the kind joke was inserted ", e.g., the kind of pattern where the mold grows is indicated in display, (澤) with you say deeply.

With the KDDI, the concept model which so far adhered to design in such as exhibition it has introduced, the schedule which, but this project continues annual several types displaying it keeps. Furthermore, like the latest terminal whether or not it sells, it has made undecided.

From the left " BUILDING " " NISHIKIGOI " " ICHIMATSU " When you try making the hand, material feeling of the metal it is to place, by the portable telephone it makes be moved

When you see from the side, very thin In side starting button such as mail

When starting the fluorescent light lights up image Inside the antenna paint being administered, it is

* URL
News release
Http: //www.kddi.com/corporate/news_release/2003/1006a/index.html

(Hot water field healthy Takashi, Tsuda Hiroshi dream)
2003/10/06 15:05

-Justin.

David Prahl
10-10-2003, 11:57 PM
Ugh! Looks like candy! :idontthinkso:

spursdude
10-11-2003, 12:21 AM
Yeah, the checkerboard definitely doesn't fit my style. But the design itself seems all right, as a phone only. I like thinness...

SandersP
10-11-2003, 01:36 AM
Well the color and design is definitely cultural specific. It as that weird candy color transparent plastic, way too post modern. But I couldn't get my eye off how thin the phone is. I also like the length. Call me weird but I hate those rinky dinky phone with buttons so small its just plain impossible to do T9 quickly.

yorkslad
10-11-2003, 11:45 AM
Yuk with a capital Y!