View Full Version : Sierra Aircard 555 and IPAQ 2215

mochegod
10-10-2003, 02:17 PM
I have an IPAQ 2215 and am looking at the Sierra Wireless Aircard 555 (through Verizon) for internet access. According to Sierra's website, there is a temporary patch that can be used for Mobile 2003 devices. However, it warns that you cannot create your own connection profiles.

Has anyone out there used this Sierra card(and patch) with the 2215 or Mobile 2003, and if so what is your opinion? Thanks!

Bob Anderson
10-10-2003, 02:22 PM
The Sierra Wireless Aircard 555 is a PC Card device ... not a Compact Flash or SD format.

What that means to you is... it won't work with the iPaq 2215. There is no way to get the card connected to your device.

I use the card with my 5450, but I had to buy a PC Card expansion pack for the 5450, so that the PC Card could be installed and run.

There is a 1xRTT CDMA data card in CF format available from Sprint, but I have no experience with that device. I'm sure someone here could tell you more about how that might work with your iPaq.

egoz
10-10-2003, 04:20 PM
Huh... I do believe that is *not* correct. But, maybe the unit above doesn't allow for a CF Expansion sleeve????

I have an iPaq 3900 *and* a CF Expansion Sleeve *and* the Aircard 555. And, it works. I also have upgraded to Mobile 2003 and have no problem with compatability.

It's a good solution, and Verizonwireless' ExpressNetwork is extremely reliable, and reasonably fast (not like my cable modem, for sure, but blows away compared to the ol' modem dialup days).

So, using this solution, i keep connected to my email, AIM, MSN Messenger, and surf websites when i'm bored, waiting, or commuting.

.rob adams

mochegod
10-10-2003, 04:24 PM
Bummer... Since Verizon's site states that one can"Insert Aircard 555 in your laptop or pocket PC and you're ready to go!", I was hoping that this was my internet anywhere solution for my IPAQ.

Given that this is not the case, my next option appears to be connecting my IPAQ to my cell phone to gain internet access. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any sales rep at Verizon that can explain how this can be done. I currently have a Kyocera QCP3035, but am willing to upgrade my phone if necessary. Is anyone doing this and if so, what are the pros and cons?

Bob Anderson
10-11-2003, 06:59 PM
I have an iPaq 3900 *and* a CF Expansion Sleeve *and* the Aircard 555.

My guess is you have a PC Card Expansion Sleeve because the Aircard 555 is not a Compact Flash (CF) form factor, it's a PC Card form factor. The 3900 series can add the "slide on" expansion packs. The 2215 does not offer that type of expandability.

It's a good solution, and Verizonwireless' ExpressNetwork is extremely reliable, and reasonably fast (not like my cable modem, for sure, but blows away compared to the ol' modem dialup days).

So, using this solution, i keep connected to my email, AIM, MSN Messenger, and surf websites when i'm bored, waiting, or commuting.

I agree with you there! This outfit is pretty slick. It works fast and is very handy.

Bob Anderson
10-11-2003, 07:15 PM
Given that this is not the case, my next option appears to be connecting my IPAQ to my cell phone to gain internet access. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any sales rep at Verizon that can explain how this can be done. I currently have a Kyocera QCP3035, but am willing to upgrade my phone if necessary. Is anyone doing this and if so, what are the pros and cons?

Well, as it turn out you can still get to the internet -- you just have to "leash" your phone to your Pocket PC with a cable.

I used to use my iPaq 3635 & Kyocera QCP 860 via a serial cable. Of course, it wasn't fast... but certainly fast enough for MSN Messenger & E-mail. (This was before the Express Network was available.)

I've seen several mentions of a company called Gomadic in these forums that refer to the quality PDA to phone cables they manufacture. So I took a quick look at their website and found what you need.... They make a cable for you, model #WIC-0202. There's a lot of info about this at their website... http://www.gomadic.com/index.html

Another option, if you want the Express Network speeds and don't mind upgrading your phone and buying a peripheral for your iPaq, would be to consider Socket Communication's Digital High Speed Phone card. Details can be found at http://www.socketcom.com/product/DP3091-378.asp The website explains that if you use it with your 3035, the maximum speed you will get is 14.4, but if you upgrade your phone to one of four other moderately priced Kyocera phones, you can get the max 144 with a subscription to Verizon Wireless Exp. Network Service.

Hope this helps.

mochegod
10-11-2003, 08:28 PM
Another option, if you want the Express Network speeds and don't mind upgrading your phone and buying a peripheral for your iPaq, would be to consider Socket Communication's Digital High Speed Phone card.

Thanks Bob! Socket's site is the closest I've come to a solution. Would definitely want to upgrade my phone to take advantage of the 144k connection. Unfortuantely, there seem to be only a couple of currently available Verizon phones for which the Socket cards are available. Hoping that Socket releases a card for the LG VX6000 phone soon, or better yet, that Verizon releases a Bluetooth enabled phone. I believe the latter, combined with built-in Bluetooth on the 2215 would also allow me to use the phone as a modem connection to the web.

gkiing
10-14-2003, 03:18 AM
There are a few pocket pc's with a 5V compact flash slot, which the aircard can be used in with a simple compact flash to pcmcia. The adapter plugs into the compact flash slot and has a pc card slot on the other end. However, there are only a few pocket pc's which can provide the 5V necessary and at least 500MA+ of power. Normal cf slots are 3.3v

Bob Anderson
10-14-2003, 01:57 PM
There are a few pocket pc's with a 5V compact flash slot, which the aircard can be used in with a simple compact flash to pcmcia. The adapter plugs into the compact flash slot and has a pc card slot on the other end. However, there are only a few pocket pc's which can provide the 5V necessary and at least 500MA+ of power. Normal cf slots are 3.3v

I had thought about mentioning that solution, but the form factor involved wouldn't be all too terribly user friendly -- from what I've seen these adapters are just "end-to-end" meaning that your PC Card just kinda' "hangs there" for a lack of better terms. To store your Pocket PC in a case, you'd have to disconnect the adapter... and while you were using the device you'd have to find a way to support it so it didn't flop around or worse yet, fall out and drop on the floor!

So when you consider the issues of convenience + the battery/power issues, I think it's safe to say that this isn't really a functional solution.