View Full Version : HP h1940 Keyboard??

eat5hams
10-09-2003, 08:33 PM
I am considering buying a h1940 or a 2215. One of the main reasons I want it is so that I can type papers and stuff on it while I am at school. Are there any keyboards besides IR ones that will work with the 1940, or should I go with the 2215 and a Stowaway XT? I'd rather go with the lower price.. Starving Student mentality...If someone knows something about this I would appreciate it.

Chris Spera
10-09-2003, 08:54 PM
I haven't seen any other keyboard for the 194x except the IR keyboard. I'd love to see a BlueTooth keyboard for this (and any other BT enabled device); but I haven't seen anything released as of yet...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

eat5hams
10-09-2003, 09:26 PM
yeah, thats all I have been able to find out as well. I think I'll go for the targus IR one. Looks pretty good. thanks fot the quick response

christheswiss
10-10-2003, 12:55 PM
I have the pocketop IR keyboard and I am trying to get it to work with my 1945. I have downloaded the latest driver from their website and installed it (with sd card removed and IR de-selected). On the input selector pocketop is displayed but it cannot be selected. Help from pocketop is nonexistent (sent several E-mails) :|

I also have not found anything else that will work with my 1945. Yes, this would be a perfect Bluetooth application.

Vasant56
10-12-2003, 01:11 AM
That's a stranger error. Although I run on a different PPC, my Pocketop works fine.

http://www.ultimatekeyboard.com/drivers/pocketop-hp-h1940.zip

Be sure this is the one you installed also, don't use the rotational software as PocketPC2003 still has issues with it.

I don't see any reason why it won't work :(

edit: Unforunately you may need to perform a hard reset prior to installing the driver.

My suggestion is this: Remove the Card, perform a hard reset, install the drivers and see if it will work.

christheswiss
10-12-2003, 03:18 PM
Thanks for your help. I guess I will have to do the dreaded hard reset :(

Vasant56
10-12-2003, 10:43 PM
Ok, tell me how it turns out.

Feel free to e-mail me or IM me if you need to.

MitchellO
10-13-2003, 04:44 AM
Go with the h1940. I have the h1930, and I am looking at getting one of the several IR Keyboards available. It is so annoying HP made it so the Sync connector is the opposite to the rest of the iPAQ line, and is USB only; no serial! The IR Keyboard from Targus is the cheapest PDA keyboard available here in Australia, and because it uses IR, it is the most versatile.

I am going to see if my sister wants to share the cost of one. She uses a Palm Zire 71.

P.S. If your a student, make sure you get a good case for whatever handheld you buy. My previous handheld (HP Jornada 545) had an accident at school, and the screen did not look so good when I got home, so invest in a good Hard Case like the ones from Proporta (www.proporta.com). Their shipping is cheap to everywhere, and the case for the h19xx series is SUPER, and doesn't add a lot of bulk to the iPAQ.

Good Luck

JustinGTP
10-13-2003, 06:40 AM
The HP keyboard designed for the 2200 series and the higher models works great for my 2215, I love it. The PDA has the power and the keyboard, althought pricey, makes it worth every penny :D

sracer
10-13-2003, 06:02 PM
BestOptions has these keyboards back in stock... $39 (up from $34 the first go-round) But still an excellent buy. I have this keyboard and it works extremely well with the 2215.

http://www.bestoptionsdirect.com/asp/product.asp?product=4974

eat5hams
10-13-2003, 09:30 PM
thanks alot everybody for the comments. I went with the 1945 and the targus keyboard. right now at amazon if you buy the 1945 you get a 50 dollar certificate to spend on amazon, so it loweres the price significantly. also the tartgus keyboard was only 39 dollars with a ten dollar rebate. the 50 dollar gift certificate offer ends october 19, so hurry