View Full Version : Convert Lit distribution site shutting down!

JimDantin
10-09-2003, 04:20 PM
From Dan Jackson:
"Update (2003/10/07)
The UK's implementation of the European Union Copyright Directive means that, starting from October 31st, it will no longer be legal to use or distribute Convert LIT in the UK. In accordance with this Directive, we will unfortunately be closing down this web page. If you believe you can provide a home for Convert LIT which is not affected by this or similar directives/laws, please drop us a line. "

dean_shan
10-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the update. I just downloaded it again. Gotta get it now before it is gone.

dh
10-09-2003, 05:03 PM
That's a shame. Hopefully there will be someone who can host the download site in a different country.

JonnoB
10-09-2003, 05:03 PM
What is the website URL currently?

JimDantin
10-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Can't post the URL -- DRM violation! Use Google.

JonnoB
10-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Can't post the URL -- DRM violation! Use Google.

I guess I can post a Yahoo search link.

***Actually, no, we can't. Link removed by moderator KC 09-Oct-03

Kati Compton
10-09-2003, 08:18 PM
No links can be posted, even to the results of a search engine. It's not like it's hard for people to find it themselves using the search engine of their choice, and we don't want to risk getting shut down.

Jason Dunn
10-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Yeah, please don't make this hard for us guys... :|

JonnoB
10-09-2003, 08:22 PM
My apologies..... :?

Jason Dunn
10-09-2003, 09:14 PM
My apologies..... :?

No worries - I understand that this is awkward, but there's no good way to approach this, so we'll just have to keep reminding everyone. :-)

davidspalding
10-09-2003, 10:01 PM
From Dan Jackson:
"Update (2003/10/07)
The UK's implementation of the European Union Copyright Directive means that, starting from October 31st, it will no longer be legal to use or distribute Convert LIT in the UK. In accordance with this Directive, we will unfortunately be closing down this web page. If you believe you can provide a home for Convert LIT which is not affected by this or similar directives/laws, please drop us a line. "

I presume that the author can find a "safe haven" somewhere. Don't they host web sites in China yet? ;)

Jon Westfall
10-09-2003, 10:15 PM
Yeah, please don't make this hard for us guys... :|

Just thinking, if its hard now, its going to be really bad after its pulled from the net with people asking on the forums for copies of the program...

Jason Dunn
10-10-2003, 08:13 AM
Just thinking, if its hard now, its going to be really bad after its pulled from the net with people asking on the forums for copies of the program...

If that happens, we might have to shut down the eBook forum. :roll:

davidspalding
10-10-2003, 08:20 PM
Newbie: Could someone send me Convert LIT? Or post it here?
Exasperated Mod: No. And please stop asking. :P

I think it's easy enough to say, "No you can't have it. Go find it yerself." ... IF I understand DMCA clearly, and all the nuisance suits that are based on it, we can talk about it all we like, we just can't host it here, or post direct links.

Jason's lawyers can provide better counsel than I. But I understand that the danger is in offering/distributing the software, not in discussing its use or worthiness.

2600 could print a detailed article about DeCSS, but got in hot legal water by publishing the source code, and linking to it on their web site. Read back on WIRED, THE REGISTER and the EFF sites for more.... ,:)

spursdude
10-11-2003, 01:36 AM
Jason's lawyers
Jason has lawyers?

I think talking about stuff, lamenting over it, etc., is okay... just as long as we don't directly promote "illegal" things like ROMs or banned software...

surur
10-13-2003, 02:02 PM
Just BTW, I know Jason is Canadian. Is this web site hosted in Canada, and is PPCThoughts even subject to the DMCA?

(or is Jason just afraid of being arrested when he visits seattle :snipersmile: )

Just a thought....

Surur

Steven Cedrone
10-13-2003, 02:49 PM
Just BTW, I know Jason is Canadian. Is this web site hosted in Canada, and is PPCThoughts even subject to the DMCA?

The hardware that the site runs on is located in the U.S...

Steve