View Full Version : Pop Quiz I need newbie answears

sumfunny
10-09-2003, 03:10 AM
1) Is it possible to have slower scrolling, usually in almost all apps its scrolls one full page at a time can i change that.

2)Is there a program that can allow me to use my ppc in landsape, especiall for pocketIE?

3)Is there a way to change the defaults in Calander, eg. when ever I make a new appointment in calander it always sets an alarm 15min before the appointment, or appointments are a default of 1hr id prefer 30min, etc.

4)Is there a program that lets me search my wifi network I would like to be able to grab mp3's from the shared folder on my comp to the pocket pc etc.

5)Does avantgo seem slow to load? I got h2210

6)Is there a browser with java support? Have you been able to play any online games like yahoo pool, or some flash games?

7)Is there a way to sync my hotmail accounts?

Thanks

Jeff Rutledge
10-09-2003, 04:05 AM
1) Is it possible to have slower scrolling, usually in almost all apps its scrolls one full page at a time can i change that.
Not that I know of (but that doesn't mean much :lol: )

2)Is there a program that can allow me to use my ppc in landsape, especiall for pocketIE?
Check out Nyditot Virtual Display (http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&jid=7AD39149AAEX53F4BD97D74XB64C23A1&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=16346&sectionId=0&catalog=30).

3)Is there a way to change the defaults in Calander, eg. when ever I make a new appointment in calander it always sets an alarm 15min before the appointment, or appointments are a default of 1hr id prefer 30min, etc.
You're still using the default Calendar?!?!? Are you nuts? (j/k). Check out Pocket Informant (http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&jid=7AD39149AAEX53F4BD97D74XB64C23A1&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=10226&sectionId=0&catalog=30). It's the first thing I put on my PPC.

4)Is there a program that lets me search my wifi network I would like to be able to grab mp3's from the shared folder on my comp to the pocket pc etc.
I think a tool called Netrunner does this (can't find a link...sorry). Or you can check out Resco Explorer (http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&jid=7AD39149AAEX53F4BD97D74XB64C23A1&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=11118&sectionId=0&catalog=30).

No idea. Haven't used Avantgo in ages...

6)Is there a browser with java support? Have you been able to play any online games like yahoo pool, or some flash games?
I don't know if there is or not. Sorry.

Pocket Hotmail (http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&jid=7AD39149AAEX53F4BD97D74XB64C23A1&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=44651&sectionId=0&catalog=30)may do it. Haven't tried it myself.

Thanks
No problem. That should get you started at least. :mrgreen:

Sven Johannsen
10-09-2003, 04:14 AM
I don't think so

Nyditot comes to mind. There is also a keyboard driver that is downloadable that includes this as an option, whether or not you have the keyboard. PocketTop I think. Someone will post a link.

Calendar/Tools/Options, reminder alarms defaults are configurable. If you "Show half hour slots" the default appointment time will be a half hour.

4)Is there a program that lets me search my wifi network I would like to be able to grab mp3's from the shared folder on my comp to the pocket pc etc. No, you can not browse. You can, however establish shares, essentially My Network Places. You do that via the network icon in File Explorer, or with a third party program such as Resco Explorer. The latter will let you open files on a network folder, the former will only let you copy the file to your PPC.

Not to me.

Don't know on the Java, but there is a Flash plugin for the PPC. You can find it on Macromedia's site.

Don't think so. There is a thing called PocketHotmail that does that but it does not work on WM2003.

Thanks[/quote]

PetiteFlower
10-09-2003, 05:00 AM
No on the Java.

You can download your Hotmail accounts into Outlook and sync it that way, if nothing else, right?

prismejon
10-09-2003, 11:50 AM

NetFront (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&optionId=1_2_2&jid=4BF9DBAAB63474C1AX3X1BAD83AAF127&platformId=2&siteId=1&productId=47769§ionId=0&catalog=30&txtSearch=netfront) support java, but I don't think the current version supports Windows Mobile 2003..

You can open flash with Pocket Internet Explorer if you install the free flash player (http://www.macromedia.com/software/flashplayer/pocketpc/2002.html).

Thinkingmandavid
10-09-2003, 04:35 PM
I think pocket hotmail will do the trick. IF I remember correctly it is free. I remember getting an email from pocketpcmag and that was one of the free softwares talked about.
Have you tried using Thunderhawk as your browser. I know that will be in landscape mode for your online surfing. ;)
There is software for you word, exel and other programs to be on landscape.

sumfunny
10-09-2003, 11:21 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the answears I was looking more at freebie solutions for now.

Now part 2

8) Are virus for ppc a real concern?

9) Is there a program that can replace ms reader/ adobe acrobat/ ms word viewer and other text viewing programs.

10) Is there a way to uninstall the preinstalled Hp apps liek the photo viewer?

11) Is there a good free app that will allow me to view tv listings?

12) Is there a free app that allows me to view local weather and stock prices on the today screen?

spursdude
10-10-2003, 12:33 AM
Not really.

9) Is there a program that can replace ms reader/ adobe acrobat/ ms word viewer and other text viewing programs.

You can check out uBook (http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/index.php?soft=595) or Repligo (http://www.cerience.com/viewers/pc.php)

Not sure, but probably not.
Check out this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18499&highlight=pockettv+browser).

sumfunny
10-11-2003, 08:03 PM
- Still no work around
- Thanks for answears
- Thanks got it
- Yup the included explorer did it thanks
- Once I press on the Icon it takes a good 30sec to load
- Thanks for the flash, havent tried the other webprowsers
- Pocket hotmail is only for '02, and I dont think I can sync my hotmail folders from outlook or can u?

Now part 2

- Ok thats reassuring
- Still nothing that I was really looking for
- Still cant find a way
- PTVL works the best thanks
12) Is there a free app that allows me to view local weather and stock prices on the today screen?
- Still Looking

THanks
If you have any answears that can help please respond i'm sure alot of people have these questions